Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Found 20th Oct 2017
Microsoft technicians were unable to fix Windows Update in Windows 8.1 that makes my C drive spike to 100% randomly. They tried everything to solve it using their remote access controls including uninstalling my virus protection software, and then a system refresh, but it didn't work. They told me I had to go into my BIOS to fix it but I don't want to touch anything that could wreck my computer. They kept pushing the idea to switch to W10 instead.

Should I take my laptop to be fixed by a professional? Or just upgrade to Windows 10?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Do you mean the issue where the after updates TIWorker.exe starts compressing large amounts of old system files? Same problem in Windows 10. There is a kind of fix - open an Admin command prompt and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" - but that needs repeating after every large update. One of the threads about that issue is here.

Having said that I would say Windows 10 is a better bet (overall) than 8.1. A clean install to Windows 10 would be better than an in place upgrade, although that adds time with installing drivers and existing software.
Zero chance of fixing high disk usage in windows completely as it has plagued every OS since windows XP.

Windows 10
Edited by: "kester76" 20th Oct 2017
deleted1597344
Yes upgrade to Windows 10, would recommend this over 8.1 anytime.

Do not pay to upgrade it’s free still microsoft.com/en-…ade
Ar460rn1 h, 32 m ago

Do you mean the issue where the after updates TIWorker.exe starts …Do you mean the issue where the after updates TIWorker.exe starts compressing large amounts of old system files? Same problem in Windows 10. There is a kind of fix - open an Admin command prompt and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" - but that needs repeating after every large update. One of the threads about that issue is here.Having said that I would say Windows 10 is a better bet (overall) than 8.1. A clean install to Windows 10 would be better than an in place upgrade, although that adds time with installing drivers and existing software.

I tried a few things including a Command Prompt scan that took nearly an hour (DISM run?) I did everything on Microsoft's own help page for Windows Update.

The Microsoft technicians cleaned out folders and did all kinds of things I don't understand. When they said I had to mess with the BIOS, a friend told me to absolutely stay away from it. They advised me to get Win10 because it's generally more stable.
deleted159734420th Oct 2017

Yes upgrade to Windows 10, would recommend this over 8.1 anytime.Do not …Yes upgrade to Windows 10, would recommend this over 8.1 anytime.Do not pay to upgrade it’s free still http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Hi airbus! Thanks for the link

The MS technician emailed me a link to the download tool, which they said was absolutely free. They kept trying to sell me their 365 premium support service too, which made me suspicious of getting win 10 lol
kester7627 m ago

Zero chance of fixing high disk usage in windows completely as it has …Zero chance of fixing high disk usage in windows completely as it has plagued every OS since windows XP. Windows 10

Really? Did changing the settings to "high performance" work at all?
thebox1 h, 27 m ago

Really? Did changing the settings to "high performance" work at all?

Nope it's a desktop so always maxed out on power settings, found out it was my old Samsung 204ui that caused the issue, windows dropped it down to PIO from UDMA and it tanked. Can also be caused by dodgy sata leads, bad drives, dodgy intel/microsoft sata drivers and the list goes on. You can watch a file transfer go from 240MB/s to 6kb/s and just stall.

Other times it can be apps hogging the drive controller or windows downloading updates in the background whilst lying to you about it. I once checked windows for downloads and drive access which is reported next to nothing but my router said I downloading about 8MB/s. Turned out windows was downloading updates in the background but didn't report it on my PC network traffic.

It could be possible that it's overheating bridges on my mobo or the fact I've maxed out all 6 sata ports but I've had this on atleast 3 different builds.
i actually had this issue with windows 10 spiking my hard drive to 100% then having bsod tried various things in the end i wiped the drive and went back to windows 7 ultimate
thebox3 h, 40 m ago

I tried a few things including a Command Prompt scan that took nearly an …I tried a few things including a Command Prompt scan that took nearly an hour (DISM run?) I did everything on Microsoft's own help page for Windows Update.The Microsoft technicians cleaned out folders and did all kinds of things I don't understand. When they said I had to mess with the BIOS, a friend told me to absolutely stay away from it. They advised me to get Win10 because it's generally more stable.

Sure be cautious with bios but to absolutely stay away is poor advice. With guidance you can easily change things and swapping from IDE to AHCI would greatly increase disk performance. If you have problems you can revert changes or restore defaults.
Deluxe12 h, 49 m ago

i actually had this issue with windows 10 spiking my hard drive to 100% …i actually had this issue with windows 10 spiking my hard drive to 100% then having bsod tried various things in the end i wiped the drive and went back to windows 7 ultimate

I have the same issue! I no longer use my laptop because it’s a few years old anyway with a bad graphics card etc so looking to buy a new one at some point.
bryanhaines39920th Oct

Sure be cautious with bios but to absolutely stay away is poor advice. …Sure be cautious with bios but to absolutely stay away is poor advice. With guidance you can easily change things and swapping from IDE to AHCI would greatly increase disk performance. If you have problems you can revert changes or restore defaults.

They gave me a link to the BIOS fix but I couldn't make any sense out of it.

They set the latest Security Pack update to 'ignore' because Windows Update couldn't install it after downloading.
Deluxe120th Oct

i actually had this issue with windows 10 spiking my hard drive to 100% …i actually had this issue with windows 10 spiking my hard drive to 100% then having bsod tried various things in the end i wiped the drive and went back to windows 7 ultimate

If only I could go back to Win 7! My laptop came with 8 so it's either that or 10

The hardware on my laptop should be okay to run 8 and 10 but it still keeps spiking the drive to 100%. It's a joke.
thebox3 h, 23 m ago

If only I could go back to Win 7! My laptop came with 8 so it's either …If only I could go back to Win 7! My laptop came with 8 so it's either that or 10 :(The hardware on my laptop should be okay to run 8 and 10 but it still keeps spiking the drive to 100%. It's a joke.

Originally my laptop came with win 8 but ready for 10 so i upgraded to 10 and i imagine your laptop is fine to run 10
when i had this issue i tried everything and searched the net high and low trying everything, even begun to think the drive itself was on its way out, all i can really suggest is trying the windows 10 upgrade or fresh install to see if it clears the issue
or maybe try get a hold of a copy windows 7 and in meantime back up all your important data just in case.

even though this wasn't able to help me maybe some of this might be of help to you

drivereasy.com/kno…10/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants