Should John Lewis price match this mobile?

Found 2nd Dec 2015
Hi,

I phoned my local John Lewis today (to have this price matched: Sony Xperia M4 Aqua Smartphone
johnlewis.com/son…ack

From £199.95 to £149.99 price of carphone warehouse :
carphonewarehouse.com/pho…qua

They agreed (but then I lost the card I was going to pay with). By the time I found it, I had to phone a different John Lewis store as that one had closed.

They wouldn't price match.... they told me this was because they only stock this mobile online, and not in store, and the last person had made a mistake.

I was told to fill out the form on the John Lewis website ''Never Knowingly Undersold'' (because they will deal with online only items) with the address and such of the item I wanted price matched (put in my local carphone warehouse as they had them in today), but it says:

You'll also need to take into account costs relating to:
Fitting and installation charges
Delivery charges
Warranty charges

johnlewis.com/nev…old

The carphone warehouse will only have the normal 1 year warranty with the mobile, where John Lewis is a two year warranty with the mobile... so will they not price match?

Thanks in advance

9 Comments

I would push it. I saw a ninja blender for sale with Currys with one year guarantee at 69.99 + rang j/l who price matched even though their guarantee was two years.

I just had a tv price matched refused for this reason that there competitor had in there terms
'Please note once a delivery is booked it cannot be changed. Any cancellation, failed or refused delivery will incur a re-delivery charge.'

Original Poster

That would mean a hefty amount of price matches would be declined (as John Lewis seem to be generous with the warranties on they give on items).

Any other peoples views on this? What to do? I don’t want to hassle them and waste time if it's doubtful anything will change.

On the page to buy the mobile on John Lewis it states ‘Delivered directly by our approved suppliers‘.

Should this change anything in getting a price match? My first time trying to price match and may be the last =(

Original Poster

little_landy

I just had a tv price matched refused for this reason that there … I just had a tv price matched refused for this reason that there competitor had in there terms 'Please note once a delivery is booked it cannot be changed. Any cancellation, failed or refused delivery will incur a re-delivery charge.'

​Is that even legal? Doesn't sound it...and if John Lewis declined you for that...doubt mines will get matched. But any hints on what to say that might turn things around would be appreciated. Doesn't seem price matching works too well unless I have something wrong...I never want to have to claim of any insurance if that's what you can be declined for with a price match ^^ lol

I just rang J/L told them what to type into the google mail address bar, so they could see the product I was referring to. The representative then applied a price match.

Original Poster

diamond321

I just rang J/L told them what to type into the google mail address bar, … I just rang J/L told them what to type into the google mail address bar, so they could see the product I was referring to. The representative then applied a price match.

​Did that item have any extra warranty with John Lewis than the item being price matched?

Its just if I try ringing again tomorrow the two excuses I can see coming are either (our mobile has 2 years warranty, not the usual 1 year like carphone warehouse, or it will be something to do with it being an online only item...or so I am told? Probably the bit stating its delivered directly from approved suppliers. Any come backs that give me a chance to still get a price match?

I am keen to buy from John Lewis because they have been genuinely excellent when an electrical item went faulty with me before, I would even take just one year with John lewis if they would price match then. Its for a Christmas present and if something was to go wrong, I would rather its with John lewis than most shops as I have had some terrible customer service from other places when a fault occurred.
Edited by: "Furdin" 2nd Dec 2015

I messaged John Lewis with the online form for the never knowingly undersold. To ask the a to they were selling for £899 if they would price match to £699. John Lewis offer a five year warranty where as the ther supplier was only one year. They have agreed the price match. Lisa

Original Poster

Well...I don't know why they mention the different warranty's being a problem because it went through fine :)!!

They do not normally take warranty into account.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants