Should people get over the "road TAX" issue and realise that people who do the most damage are uninsured and foreign illegal drivers?

Found 25th Aug 2017
It's all good an well blaming cyclists. The reason we all pay through the nose for insurance for our cars is because of uninsured, foreign and illegal drivers.

I don't see why trying to clamp down on cyclists would make any difference when there are plenty of illegal, banned, foreign and uninsured tools driving round on our roads.

A bike running into someone ain't likely to cause much damage. A 2 ton van or car probably will....

Don't you think?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I for one am glad no native person drives around uninsured.
splender15 m ago

You mean those standards of bait threads on hate or accentuating the …You mean those standards of bait threads on hate or accentuating the negative on certain types of people in which I asked for further reports as supplementary reports so that we get other angles to the report posted?Like the one that OP claims to be reporting with title, "Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism"?

I don't doubt you're a reasonable person Splender, or that you're intelligent and have a good vocabulary. The way you write is pretty impenetrable at times though.
68 Comments
No I don't think, there is insufficient data, where is your DoT big data analysis on this damage? Like, how many UK licensed and unlicensed, insured and uninsured versus foreign licensed and unlicensed, insured and uninsured?
I for one am glad no native person drives around uninsured.
There are plenty of reports where cyclists kill pedestrians.
20mph bicycle and kill like a 20mph car.
They should all be insured and pay road tax. Or better still get off our roads
How many UK lorries drive on foreign road. Hint, we have bi-directional trade across the British Channel. We ain't exporting good using mules.
Original Poster Banned
People who are banned don't give a toss. They still drive. They still cause accidents. Which in turn puts up the premiums for honest people.

How and why would anyone with a modicum of sense want to tax and insure cyclists when there are plenty of banned and uninsured motorists driving round in death traps????

Maybe the tools that advocate it should think about a cyclist hitting their mum at maximum speed of 30MPH and an uninsured, untaxed illegal driver hitting their mum at 100MPH.....
fiestasteve441 m ago

There are plenty of reports where cyclists kill pedestrians.20mph bicycle …There are plenty of reports where cyclists kill pedestrians.20mph bicycle and kill like a 20mph car.They should all be insured and pay road tax. Or better still get off our roads

How many in the last 10 years?
Take a chill pill and do what the dutch do

31800043-fyPvi.jpg
Foreign by colour or nationality?
coathanger3 m ago

There's clearly a problem …There's clearly a problem http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4809000/Foreign-drivers-dodge-Dartford-Tunnel-toll-1-MILLION-times.html

Is the problem daily mail links?
CoeK7 m ago

Is the problem daily mail links?

Do you not support the pursuance of fines owed to the UK taxpayer?
coathanger6 m ago

I can't say I really care that much no.
In Great Britain, from 2011 to 2015:
Cycles accounted for about 2.3% of all urban, non-motorway vehicular traffic and were involved in just over 1% of pedestrian fatalities and 1.8% of serious injuries to pedestrians. Cyclists should be banned from the roads.
coathanger16 m ago

No, not if it cost us £1000 to get £500 for example, and then the enforement employs more EU workers (European debt recovery agency) because Brits who potentially do these jobs do not speak foreign lingos. Then they are paid minumum wages and then we have to subsidise their lifestyles with working tax credits.

Another big no no, is £81 million tolls if paid is then passed onto us UK consumers, we end up paying the £81 millions in our marked up pricing of goods.

Final no is, it is DM, it means their ideas are a waste of British time, like this one, shooting ourselves in the foot as we end up paying for the tolls (in your DM news report).
fiestasteve444 m ago

In Great Britain, from 2011 to 2015:Cycles accounted for about 2.3% of all …In Great Britain, from 2011 to 2015:Cycles accounted for about 2.3% of all urban, non-motorway vehicular traffic and were involved in just over 1% of pedestrian fatalities and 1.8% of serious injuries to pedestrians. Cyclists should be banned from the roads.

That is one of the dumbest things I've read on here. And that is saying a lot.
splender40 m ago

No I don't think, there is insufficient data, where is your DoT big data …No I don't think, there is insufficient data, where is your DoT big data analysis on this damage? Like, how many UK licensed and unlicensed, insured and uninsured versus foreign licensed and unlicensed, insured and uninsured?

• Handling over 25,000 claims a year for accidents caused by uninsured or untraced (‘hit and run) drivers

mib.org.uk/med…ib/

"It's estimated that around 18,000 traffic accidents a year occur due to drivers from other countries and this is especially true of heavy goods vehicles."

brake.org.uk/fac…ers
splender11 m ago

No, not if it cost us £1000 to get £500 for example, and then the e …No, not if it cost us £1000 to get £500 for example, and then the enforement employs more EU workers (European debt recovery agency) because Brits who potentially do these jobs do not speak foreign lingos. Then they are paid minumum wages and then we have to subsidise their lifestyles with working tax credits.Another big no no, is £81 million tolls if paid is then passed onto us UK consumers, we end up paying the £81 millions in our marked up pricing of goods.Final no is, it is DM, it means their ideas are a waste of British time, like this one, shooting ourselves in the foot as we end up paying for the tolls (in your DM news report).

Well my view is simple.

To use a car in the UK, as a non national, there should be a car permit payable immediately on entering the UK. We pay when we go abroad with taxes levied on tolls across the EU.

Alternatively, scrap Road Tax etc and place the charge on petrol as they do in many EU Countries.
fiestasteve4418 m ago

In Great Britain, from 2011 to 2015:Cycles accounted for about 2.3% of all …In Great Britain, from 2011 to 2015:Cycles accounted for about 2.3% of all urban, non-motorway vehicular traffic and were involved in just over 1% of pedestrian fatalities and 1.8% of serious injuries to pedestrians. Cyclists should be banned from the roads.

So car drivers are responsible for 99% of pedestrian deaths and you think cyclists should be banned, were you being ironic?
coathanger9 m ago

Well my view is simple.To use a car in the UK, as a non national, there …Well my view is simple.To use a car in the UK, as a non national, there should be a car permit payable immediately on entering the UK. We pay when we go abroad with taxes levied on tolls across the EU.Alternatively, scrap Road Tax etc and place the charge on petrol as they do in many EU Countries.

Road tax has been scrapped for a while.
Jackmaster57 m ago

Maybe the tools that advocate it should think about a cyclist hitting …Maybe the tools that advocate it should think about a cyclist hitting their mum at maximum speed of 30MPH and an uninsured, untaxed illegal driver hitting their mum at 100MPH.....

That's a very strange comparison
CoeK3 m ago

Road tax has been scrapped for a while.

But you know what he was referring to right?
coathanger14 m ago

Alternatively, scrap Road Tax etc and place the charge on petrol as they …Alternatively, scrap Road Tax etc and place the charge on petrol as they do in many EU Countries.

As if we don't already pay too much for fuel as it is...
Destard2 m ago

But you know what he was referring to right?

Of course. I'm being pedantic.

But the very fact the opening post has road tax in inverted commas is a clue.
Destard3 m ago

That's a very strange comparison

It's is a strange thread.
coathanger33 m ago

Well my view is simple.To use a car in the UK, as a non national, there …Well my view is simple.To use a car in the UK, as a non national, there should be a car permit payable immediately on entering the UK. We pay when we go abroad with taxes levied on tolls across the EU.Alternatively, scrap Road Tax etc and place the charge on petrol as they do in many EU Countries.

If we lived in some alternate universe where you were in a position of power coathanger we would be the most backward country in the developed world.
CoeK18 m ago

It's is a strange thread.

If someone walked into someone and killed him/her, then the stupid would ask for a walking tax and a number plate to be worn by walkers whearas the simple way to think about it is there are bad drivers, cyclists just like pedestrians, why use a tax system to change bad behaviour of some whilst the bulk of us are good people is crazy.
Rom3 m ago

If we lived in some alternate universe where you were in a position of …If we lived in some alternate universe where you were in a position of power coathanger we would be the most backward country in the developed world.

We would be Saudi Arabia.
Rom4 m ago

If we lived in some alternate universe where you were in a position of …If we lived in some alternate universe where you were in a position of power coathanger we would be the most backward country in the developed world.

You may likely know more about backward countries than I, but thank you for enlightening us with your crystal ball gazing.
coathanger13 m ago

You may likely know more about backward countries than I, but thank you …You may likely know more about backward countries than I, but thank you for enlightening us with your crystal ball gazing.

That's a given but why not think about how your silly xenophobic ideas would complicate the amazing free trade deals we'll be trying to strike now
"I don't see why trying to clamp down on cyclists would make any difference when there are plenty of illegal, banned, foreign and uninsured tools driving round on our roads."

Has Katie Hopkins been released from Broadmoor and hacked someone’s HUKD account!
The issue isn’t about clamping down on one demographic but on making sure that everyone is treated equally; I know, a novel idea to some hey Katie!
So if you abuse the road network and cause others harm you pay the price.
I used to cycle a lot and noticed that cyclists are the worst for abusing the roads and also the pavements.
But most of those infractions were minor even if annoying so the punishment should fit the crime.
So let’s not demonise cyclists or even foreign drivers, heaven forbid, but aim for fairness all round.
I know it’s a radical concept, call me the new Jeremy Cor Blimey.
Over the past few years we have seen new rules and laws bought into effect, promising to vastly reduce the number of uninsured drivers.

We have also seen a great increase in the use of ANPR cameras, both static and on Police cars.

And yet all these mechanisms have done little or nothing to reduce accidents and crime in a fashion that should have bought insurance down.

So this is either down to an epic and costly failure or insurance companies are simply raking in even more then usual, with no real oversight.

But in relation to the OP's comment "uninsured, foreign and illegal drivers."

Surely you have to at least add cyclists to this list in order to attain any form of overall accurate figure.

As far as the "A bike running into someone ain't likely to cause much damage" comment, it fails to take this into account.

31801099-7nxXr.jpg

Not to mention that a cycle can cause quite a lot of physical injury all on it's own, especially when accompanied by the force of weight of a rider in motion.
Agharta9 m ago

"I don't see why trying to clamp down on cyclists would make any …"I don't see why trying to clamp down on cyclists would make any difference when there are plenty of illegal, banned, foreign and uninsured tools driving round on our roads."Has Katie Hopkins been released from Broadmoor and hacked someone’s HUKD account!The issue isn’t about clamping down on one demographic but on making sure that everyone is treated equally; I know, a novel idea to some hey Katie!So if you abuse the road network and cause others harm you pay the price.I used to cycle a lot and noticed that cyclists are the worst for abusing the roads and also the pavements.But most of those infractions were minor even if annoying so the punishment should fit the crime.So let’s not demonise cyclists or even foreign drivers, heaven forbid, but aim for fairness all round.I know it’s a radical concept, call me the new Jeremy Cor Blimey.

If one were to cycle in France, Belgium, Nederlands, Germany, Danmark, Norway, Switzerland, Spain..........and you will know some of the British are, when compared with the aforementioned nationalities, the road rage race and turn into savages when holding a wheel. Likewise in Britain the British car drivers would be much closer to the cyclists than the drivers of the aforementioned nationalities.
splender11 m ago

If one were to cycle in France, Belgium, Nederlands, Germany, Danmark, …If one were to cycle in France, Belgium, Nederlands, Germany, Danmark, Norway, Switzerland, Spain..........and you will know some of the British are, when compared with the aforementioned nationalities, the road rage race and turn into savages when holding a wheel. Likewise in Britain the British car drivers would be much closer to the cyclists than the drivers of the aforementioned nationalities.

I dunno about that, can you write me an extensive report showing the figures that brought you to that conclusion and also background data for comparison.
splender13 m ago

If one were to cycle in France, Belgium, Nederlands, Germany, Danmark, …If one were to cycle in France, Belgium, Nederlands, Germany, Danmark, Norway, Switzerland, Spain..........and you will know some of the British are, when compared with the aforementioned nationalities, the road rage race and turn into savages when holding a wheel. Likewise in Britain the British car drivers would be much closer to the cyclists than the drivers of the aforementioned nationalities.

Could I have that in a simpler way for simpler people as I can't fully grasp your choice of words.
You're a refreshing face, OP. Member for less than a month and all...
Agharta17 m ago

Could I have that in a simpler way for simpler people as I can't fully …Could I have that in a simpler way for simpler people as I can't fully grasp your choice of words.

Just use more GCSEs.
catbeans26 m ago

I dunno about that, can you write me an extensive report showing the …I dunno about that, can you write me an extensive report showing the figures that brought you to that conclusion and also background data for comparison.

just get on your bike and cycle in the Nederlands and see for yourself first hand my truth, then work yourself to other countries that I named on your bike other times, let me have your report after you done your first hand experience
splender3 m ago

just get on your bike and cycle in the Nederlands and see for yourself …just get on your bike and cycle in the Nederlands and see for yourself first hand my truth, then work yourself to other countries that I named on your bike other times, let me have your report after you done your first hand experience

Just holding you to the standards you hold everyone else to.
splender14 m ago

Just use more GCSEs.

What does use more GCSEs mean?
I left school with 11 O levels and 4 A levels but the only time I used them was to get into UCL - University College London.
Edited by: "Agharta" 26th Aug 2017
catbeans15 m ago

Just holding you to the standards you hold everyone else to.

You mean those standards of bait threads on hate or accentuating the negative on certain types of people in which I asked for further reports as supplementary reports so that we get other angles to the report posted?
Like the one that OP claims to be reporting with title, "Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism"?
Edited by: "splender" 26th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions