Should rent be halved for those in private rent

Posted 18th Mar
Should private renters be given 3 months free rent if the landlords get it stopped? My answer is no but a 50% discount is fair
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I'm a private landlord. Which half of my bills should I not pay seeing as I'll only get half my rent?
Why?

Mortgage payments are not automatically being stopped for anybody. You can ask if you are in financial difficulty, it isnt a carte blanche suspension. And if you do take a holiday you need to pay it back - just at a later date.
Haircut_10018/03/2020 21:19

Exactly this. Some people, maybe like yourself, rent out a property to …Exactly this. Some people, maybe like yourself, rent out a property to help pay for a mortgage on another property. Halving rent would punish people like you.

I don't have a mortgage on the property thank goodness. Life insurance paid that when my husband died. The rent does pay the bills on my other house where I live. It means that as a single parent, I can not work and look after my disabled son rather than having to claim benefits. If people think being a landlord is easy money they should think again. My tenants got a new combi boiler with the money I had put aside for a holiday. Their needs come first
Difference is landlords will still have to pay those 3 months of mortgage payments if they defer it , what renters are asking is 3 months of free accommodation.
57 Comments
It's no us u need to convince it's the Tories as they hold all the cards
Why?

Mortgage payments are not automatically being stopped for anybody. You can ask if you are in financial difficulty, it isnt a carte blanche suspension. And if you do take a holiday you need to pay it back - just at a later date.
A little harsh; I think they should have 3 month rent free. If the banks are doing mortgage holidays.
For someone who’s on SSP due to cutbacks / isolation, it won’t even pay the rent.
Many people live pay day to pay day not their fault low wages are mainly to blame it will be some conciliation the landlord cannot start eviction procedures for three months,alas the time it will take these people to get back on their feet doesn't bare thinking about
Most people who rent struggle to make ends meet and should be given a six month rent break and no evictions for a year.
RawMukky18/03/2020 20:47

A little harsh; I think they should have 3 month rent free. If the banks …A little harsh; I think they should have 3 month rent free. If the banks are doing mortgage holidays. For someone who’s on SSP due to cutbacks / isolation, it won’t even pay the rent.

If you are having to claim ssp at the moment due to whatever reason...you are also entitled to housing benefit towards rent payments for council/private let and can apply for a council tax reduction incase you’ve not been made aware of this...hope it helps;)
Most people struggle to make ends meet. You don't have to rent to be in that position.
This is what your emergency fund/savings is used for.
tempt18/03/2020 20:59

Most people who rent struggle to make ends meet and should be given a six …Most people who rent struggle to make ends meet and should be given a six month rent break and no evictions for a year.

The turkeys did vote for Christmas.
I'm a private landlord. Which half of my bills should I not pay seeing as I'll only get half my rent?
psychobitchfromhell18/03/2020 21:14

I'm a private landlord. Which half of my bills should I not pay seeing as …I'm a private landlord. Which half of my bills should I not pay seeing as I'll only get half my rent?

Exactly this. Some people, maybe like yourself, rent out a property to help pay for a mortgage on another property. Halving rent would punish people like you.
Don’t understand the question. If the landlord gets what stopped?
Haircut_10018/03/2020 21:19

Exactly this. Some people, maybe like yourself, rent out a property to …Exactly this. Some people, maybe like yourself, rent out a property to help pay for a mortgage on another property. Halving rent would punish people like you.

I don't have a mortgage on the property thank goodness. Life insurance paid that when my husband died. The rent does pay the bills on my other house where I live. It means that as a single parent, I can not work and look after my disabled son rather than having to claim benefits. If people think being a landlord is easy money they should think again. My tenants got a new combi boiler with the money I had put aside for a holiday. Their needs come first
psychobitchfromhell18/03/2020 21:26

I don't have a mortgage on the property thank goodness. Life insurance …I don't have a mortgage on the property thank goodness. Life insurance paid that when my husband died. The rent does pay the bills on my other house where I live. It means that as a single parent, I can not work and look after my disabled son rather than having to claim benefits. If people think being a landlord is easy money they should think again. My tenants got a new combi boiler with the money I had put aside for a holiday. Their needs come first

I think private landlords should be paid by the government till the tenant is working again,if everyone gets evicted because they default this whole mess is about to get much worse
Pablo14818/03/2020 21:39

I think private landlords should be paid by the government till the tenant …I think private landlords should be paid by the government till the tenant is working again,if everyone gets evicted because they default this whole mess is about to get much worse

It's going to be a tough few months all round
Why? I saved and saved and saved to get on the property ladder whilst renting at the same time so that I could get my own property. I worked overtime at every opportunity. I now pay a mortgage, more than what I used to pay in rent. I can’t see my bank offering me a 50% in my mortgage payments. Why should renters get their rent halved. Those landlords are entitled to their rent payments in full on time. That’s a lot of landlords livelihoods and retirement pensions they worked for. Everybody is in the same boat. It’s going to be a rough ride for god knows how long. It’s a case of damage limitation, the government need to pull the finger out and implement stricter rules and isolations for the whole country. Stay safe.
Edited by: "fearghalg" 18th Mar
Difference is landlords will still have to pay those 3 months of mortgage payments if they defer it , what renters are asking is 3 months of free accommodation.
Should rents be free for the next 2 years? Discuss
Willy_Wonka18/03/2020 22:20

Should rents be free for the next 2 years? Discuss

Yes. Especially if the property comes with a swimming pool, sauna and a maid service.
daniellndn18/03/2020 22:42

Yes. Especially if the property comes with a swimming pool, sauna and a …Yes. Especially if the property comes with a swimming pool, sauna and a maid service.

I was thinking jacuzzi
Willy_Wonka18/03/2020 22:45

I was thinking jacuzzi

I thought a jacuzzi might be taking advantage.
As usual it's private landlords that will get hit the hardest.
daniellndn18/03/2020 22:49

I thought a jacuzzi might be taking advantage.

Underground swimming pool, cinema room & bowling alley would be taking advantage
MR112318/03/2020 22:50

As usual it's private landlords that will get hit the hardest.

No they wont. People that lose their jobs will get universal credit that will cover most or all of the rent. Unless of course landlords are charging too much then they might be in trouble.
Willy_Wonka18/03/2020 22:54

No they wont. People that lose their jobs will get universal credit that …No they wont. People that lose their jobs will get universal credit that will cover most or all of the rent. Unless of course landlords are charging too much then they might be in trouble.

Is it specifically for people who lose their job?
MR112318/03/2020 23:30

Is it specifically for people who lose their job?

No. It is for anyone with a change in circumstances.

I'm a private landlord. Which half of my bills should I not pay seeing as …I'm a private landlord. Which half of my bills should I not pay seeing as I'll only get half my rent?

Well said
Pablo14818/03/2020 21:39

I think private landlords should be paid by the government till the tenant …I think private landlords should be paid by the government till the tenant is working again,if everyone gets evicted because they default this whole mess is about to get much worse

Too late to want socio-economics tomorrow, to plan for structural damaging diseases we would have needed 10 years or more social practices to shore up our capability to defend against the onslaught of the disease on society,

We had two warnings before, SARS and MERS, and on this third strike, we are out ?

Are there not loan guarantees to ride the storm and then amortise the loss, and offset with capital growth?
splender19/03/2020 15:10

Too late to want socio-economics tomorrow, to plan for structural damaging …Too late to want socio-economics tomorrow, to plan for structural damaging diseases we would have needed 10 years or more social practices to shore up our capability to defend against the onslaught of the disease on society, We had two warnings before, SARS and MERS, and on this third strike, we are out ?

Its way to late for socio economics,this is called emergency economics,there was never going to be a contingency plan for this it is and has been a lets have all the cream for ourselves country/world for a long time now obvs.
splender19/03/2020 15:20

Are there not loan guarantees to ride the storm and then amortise the …Are there not loan guarantees to ride the storm and then amortise the loss, and offset with capital growth?

Very difficult to find a definitive answer on that
RawMukky18/03/2020 20:47

A little harsh; I think they should have 3 month rent free. If the banks …A little harsh; I think they should have 3 month rent free. If the banks are doing mortgage holidays. For someone who’s on SSP due to cutbacks / isolation, it won’t even pay the rent.

Mortgage holidays aren't free. You still have to pay the 3 months back one way or another.
splender19/03/2020 15:20

Are there not loan guarantees to ride the storm and then amortise the …Are there not loan guarantees to ride the storm and then amortise the loss, and offset with capital growth?

Amortise...

40140617-lUd1s.jpg
deleted8085819/03/2020 18:11

Mortgage holidays aren't free. You still have to pay the 3 months back one …Mortgage holidays aren't free. You still have to pay the 3 months back one way or another.

I agree. Whatever they say is free they will find a way later to increase prices to make up for it.

Most people who rent struggle to make ends meet and should be given a six …Most people who rent struggle to make ends meet and should be given a six month rent break and no evictions for a year.

And who pays the bills for this? The homeowner that does make ends meat? No evictions is ludicrous, that just means renters are gonna live rent free whilst the homeowner pays for their living.

discozohan18/03/2020 22:16

Difference is landlords will still have to pay those 3 months of mortgage …Difference is landlords will still have to pay those 3 months of mortgage payments if they defer it , what renters are asking is 3 months of free accommodation.

discozohan18/03/2020 22:16

Difference is landlords will still have to pay those 3 months of mortgage …Difference is landlords will still have to pay those 3 months of mortgage payments if they defer it , what renters are asking is 3 months of free accommodation.

Exactly and that is taking the p***
Everyone should pay their own way and expect handouts.
If your not financial stable to cover a few months off work then I would say this is the first issue that needs rectifying-certainly not a free pass to living like an adult but behaving like a child.
fearghalg18/03/2020 21:56

Why? I saved and saved and saved to get on the property ladder whilst …Why? I saved and saved and saved to get on the property ladder whilst renting at the same time so that I could get my own property. I worked overtime at every opportunity. I now pay a mortgage, more than what I used to pay in rent. I can’t see my bank offering me a 50% in my mortgage payments. Why should renters get their rent halved. Those landlords are entitled to their rent payments in full on time. That’s a lot of landlords livelihoods and retirement pensions they worked for. Everybody is in the same boat. It’s going to be a rough ride for god knows how long. It’s a case of damage limitation, the government need to pull the finger out and implement stricter rules and isolations for the whole country. Stay safe.

Very well said! Could not agree with you more!
nrackham7619/03/2020 20:54

Exactly and that is taking the p***Everyone should pay their own way and …Exactly and that is taking the p***Everyone should pay their own way and expect handouts.If your not financial stable to cover a few months off work then I would say this is the first issue that needs rectifying-certainly not a free pass to living like an adult but behaving like a child.

Many people are working two jobs and still rely on food banks how do you think they'll manage to put money away for hard times
Pablo14820/03/2020 12:34

Many people are working two jobs and still rely on food banks how do you …Many people are working two jobs and still rely on food banks how do you think they'll manage to put money away for hard times

Working 2 low paid, no qualification jobs is not setting yourself up for a fruitful future. ‘You make the bed you lie in’
nrackham7620/03/2020 18:15

Working 2 low paid, no qualification jobs is not setting yourself up for a …Working 2 low paid, no qualification jobs is not setting yourself up for a fruitful future. ‘You make the bed you lie in’

I know of lots of people have lost everything due to serious illness who are struggling, before calling people underachievers perhaps a little more knowledge on the subject would help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants