Groups

Should student houses have bedroom locks?

Hello I am moving into a student house and have found out there is no locks on the bedroom doors. Does anybody know whether student houses should have locks for the bedrooms or not?

Thanks in advance!

38 Comments

They don't have to. It's better if they do thought because some insurance policies require the room to have a lock, you should check yours..

Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply shame I really want the added secruity and the landlord wants £100 to fit a thumb lock on each door how ridiculous is that!

Have a word with the landlord..I certainly wouldn't move into a student house if there was no locks...anybody could steal your personal belongings etc.

Can't you fit your own?..or even if you know anybody that could help you out...seems a bit of a con charging you £100..then what happens after you leave..do you get your £100 back..after all it is your lock cause you paid for it.

They don't have to have locks, some will and some won't.

A lot will not as a lot of the time all the tenants know each other and have picked to live together, plus when it comes to TV licensing its less hassle without locks on the door (otherwise each room would count as a separate licensing address.

When it comes to living with people you don't know you I guess its if you trust them or not. A lock might be safer.

Original Poster

They are charging £50 for the lock (which is only about £10 in the shops) and £50 for fitting which is also ridiculous. They say we can't do it ourselves because of "secruity reasons".

ade2j;2521981

They are charging £50 for the lock (which is only about £10 in the shops) … They are charging £50 for the lock (which is only about £10 in the shops) and £50 for fitting which is also ridiculous. They say we can't do it ourselves because of "secruity reasons".

For £100 I'd expect a proper lock (front door type one).

When my flatmate lost her keys last year she was only going to be charged £80 for changing two outside door locks, and re-cutting of keys.

So £100 does seem really excessive

Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help I will investigate further.

if the room has a lock on the door I believe you need a separate tv license...
    My sisters old house had locks on the door, one of the girls had the heating system in her room left for a few days so they had no heating or hot water!
    there's good and bad points to having locks, imagine if you're ill, say passed out and your flat-mates realize something is wrong but you've locked yourself in your room, you're somewhat stuck!
    however, a good point about it is... privacy and security... I should imagine it's up to the landlord as it's technically their property.

yimmie;2522022

if the room has a lock on the door I believe you need a separate tv … if the room has a lock on the door I believe you need a separate tv license...

So how does that work? I have a lock on the bedroom door (keep the kids out) does that mean a seperate licence is required for my bedroom:w00t:

harlzter;2522036

So how does that work? I have a lock on the bedroom door (keep the kids … So how does that work? I have a lock on the bedroom door (keep the kids out) does that mean a seperate licence is required for my bedroom:w00t:

haha, nope, think it's to do with student residences.. might have just been my sisters first year one as she didn't live in halls but she shared a flat with another girl (which was owned buy the uni) but they weren't allowed their license together! it seemed like bit of a rip off to me!

Original Poster

We are only going to watch TV in the living room so we only need one license I hope?

Maybe go to the local tool hire place and rent a lockable box for term time to put your valuables in if your worried.

You'll only need one TV license if you only have a TV in the living room.

If you don't have locks on the door the TV license covers the whole house.
    However, with locks on the doors anyone using a TV in their room will need a seperate license

all student houses ive been in have individual locks on each bedroom
    spose ive only really looked in cardiff, maybe its different around the country.
    where is the house?

Should definitely get locks. Just split the bill with the housemates. Trust no one in student houses lol

Original Poster

The house is in Birmingham so locks is a must for me shame I didn't think about it before we started to rent the property!

sod that crack if i didn't have a lock on my bedroom door id be sleeping with one eye open and a bat under the blankets. Can't trust no one when it comes to worldly goods :P

The TV license law is full of nice ways for them to get extra cash.

If there is locks on bedroom doors ithey say you need a license per room

ALSO if you all have seperate tenancy agreements you need a tv license each.

But heres the funny thing, if you DONT have locks on the bedroom doors but have seperate tenancy agreements then you DO have to get a license.

Of course theres loads of flaws in it that help them,

ryouga;2522106

The TV license law is full of nice ways for them to get extra cash.If … The TV license law is full of nice ways for them to get extra cash.If there is locks on bedroom doors ithey say you need a license per roomALSO if you all have seperate tenancy agreements you need a tv license each.But heres the funny thing, if you DONT have locks on the bedroom doors but have seperate tenancy agreements then you DO have to get a license.Of course theres loads of flaws in it that help them,

If you don't have locks and you have separate tenancy agreements you will only need one license for the house.

Sorry if thats what you meant hehe

thats crazy, im off to uni soon and i do worry about the the people im gonna live with. im taking music tech so im gonna have some expensive gear with me. fingers crossed

I am so surprised that the bedrooms dont have to have locks on]http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/6228.jpg ! :?

I wouldn't be able to sleep !! Then there's always the chance of having your stuff pinched when you're out...........
    ]http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/541.jpg

or someone 'snooping' around ! ]http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/6705.jpg

It'll always be on your mind ..........

If it were me I think I would have a ring round a few local locksmiths for some quotes & have one fitted.
    ]http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/6140.jpg

(£100 is way over the top IMO !! )

Good luck

Banned

Here's the thing,...

If you want locks on your bedroom doors, then you are living with people you don't trust....
    So move to different accomodation....

I had a 4 year course and lived with various groups and not once did anything of mine get taken. If you cant trust them move out

there are probably no locks on the door if the landlord has a mortgage on the property. the reason is to do with the house being of multiple occupancy, and most councils charge to grant a license for such properties. if there are no locks on the doors, the landlord can pretend to the mortgage company that the house isn't multiple occupancy and therefore get the mortgage without paying for a license.

I'm also in student accommodation in Birmingham, the first year i was in halls of residence in Handsworth Wood, then met a friend from uni, from Shropshire, funnily enough. All my other friends lived at home so we just rented a two bedroom house, as a whole house. No locks on the door or anything.

If you have met your housemates through uni then you shouldn't need locks on your doors. However, if it is your first year and you don't know them then probably better to get locks

Banned

peodude;2522648

I'm also in student accommodation in Birmingham, the first year i was in … I'm also in student accommodation in Birmingham, the first year i was in halls of residence in Handsworth Wood, then met a friend from uni, from Shropshire, funnily enough. All my other friends lived at home so we just rented a two bedroom house, as a whole house. No locks on the door or anything. If you have met your housemates through uni then you shouldn't need locks on your doors. However, if it is your first year and you don't know them then probably better to get locks

HANDSWORTH?

ODB_69;2522654

HANDSWORTH?

Nearly, not quite, Handsworth Wood, just down the road. Uni residence had massive gates and high fences on, and the cars that were outside the gates were getting broken into every night.

After the first year i moved out, down to the other side of Birmingham, to Stirchley and then Kings Heath :-D

Banned

peodude;2522664

Nearly, not quite, Handsworth Wood, just down the road. Uni residence had … Nearly, not quite, Handsworth Wood, just down the road. Uni residence had massive gates and high fences on, and the cars that were outside the gates were getting broken into every night.After the first year i moved out, down to the other side of Birmingham, to Stirchley and then Kings Heath :-D

I know but I still wouldn't want to be within a mile of Handsworth.....surprised the gates don't have manned gun turrets as well in that place

Kings Heath is alright though....the equivalent ot moving from Compton to Canada...

Your still hardcore! :thumbsup:

It's quite time consuming to fit a lock, keep spare keys and the further potential hassle of 3am calls of "I've lost my door key" which is made further likely. You could argue with him that it helps his future renting easier.

With regards to TV licensing, although I have heard the comment about door locks etc. previously, TVLA themselves seem to only ever mention that it depends on whether you have a joint or single tenancy agreement, nothing else.

Original Poster

ODB_69;2522304

Here's the thing,...If you want locks on your bedroom doors, then you are … Here's the thing,...If you want locks on your bedroom doors, then you are living with people you don't trust....So move to different accomodation....I had a 4 year course and lived with various groups and not once did anything of mine get taken. If you cant trust them move out

I do trust them it's just I'm downstairs right by the front door and would like extra secruity.

Make sure every keeps the front door locked.
    My room for the last year was by the front door, and we had no trouble.

Original Poster

Well fingers crossed I guess will ring head office and see if we can get the locks done cheaper because £400 to fit 4 locks in a house is stupid.

Yea, £100 for the four would be more like what I'd expect.

Its a simple answer to this,

If you are paying rent by the room then locks have to be fitted.

If the rent is for the HOUSE and is shared then locks are NOT a requirement, as the rent is for the house not a room.

Original Poster

I just know it's £68 per week with water I thinking it is for the house.

ade2j;2525758

I just know it's £68 per week with water I thinking it is for the … I just know it's £68 per week with water I thinking it is for the house.

Your tenancy agreement should clarify this, but tbh you should know what you are paying for, was the room advertised or the house?

:?

If it is by the room, wouldn't each of them sign a separate contract with the agent? If they all sign under one contract, then they are renting the house.

My first year was in a flat without bedroom locks despite being in with random people, after that I made sure there was a lock on the bedroom door. While nothing was ever 'stolen' from my room I'd frequently come back after weekend's away to find my equipment being 'borrowed' and never taken back nor particularly well looked after and my food supplies delved into as well.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Gear best shipping?44
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44
      3. Virgin Media TV56
      4. Tooth extraction99

See more discussions