should tap water be bubbly or still?

Found 11th Feb 2013
For a few days now not happy with my house water supply so took a sample filled a glass half full.Yet still after 2 hours theres loads of tiny bubbles in it and not very clear.Should tap water naturally have tiny bubbles in it.Any ideas be helpful.Try your own tap and let me know your results below if your not happy as i normally boil all my water first
Community Updates
MiscTap
19 Comments
here in scotland it is the best and cleanest pure and still
It's all the fluoride in it
1st sample, no bubbles and seems fine.......

http://www.kubatanablogs.net/kubatana/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/dirty_water_120215.jpg
Sounds like your water is undergoing a lot of turbulence before it reaches your tap. The lack of clarity will be the remaining bubbles - the bubbles don't matter.
Original Poster
ok cheers for the helpful comments but why would my tap water have millions of tiny bubbles in it
Original Poster
transit please tell me thats really isnt your water but something else
archer1204

transit please tell me thats really isnt your water but something else

Why whats wrong with it?
Reminds me of stories relating to people in areas where there is fracking.

Has caused problems in the water supply in some instances. Gas has also been in the water supply.
From a person cleverer than me

Here is the setup. Take a clear plastic (or glass) drinking glass. Fill it with cool tap water. Let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours. In some cases you will come back to find dozens of small bubbles clinging to the inside of the glass.

What you are seeing is something like a fizzing glass of soda happening in slow motion. If you were to take Sprite or 7-Up or club soda and pour it in a glass, you see the bubbles immediately. The water in the soda was put in a container with high-pressure carbon dioxide gas, and the gas dissolved in the water.

When you release the pressure, the gas comes out of solution as thousands of bubbles. They tend to appear on the sides of the glass because rough spots on the glass are where the bubbles form.

In the case of water from the tap, the bubbles form (much more slowly) because air has dissolved in the water. If the tap water is cold and it warms up to room temperature as it sits on the counter, the warmer water is able to hold less gas (the amount of gas that dissolves is temperature-dependent), so the gas comes out of solution to form bubbles.

Also note that the water is pressurized (say to 50 PSI) while it is sitting in the pipes. If there is any air in the system, the air can dissolve into the water.
Mark2111

From a person cleverer than meHere is the setup. Take a clear plastic (or … From a person cleverer than meHere is the setup. Take a clear plastic (or glass) drinking glass. Fill it with cool tap water. Let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours. In some cases you will come back to find dozens of small bubbles clinging to the inside of the glass.What you are seeing is something like a fizzing glass of soda happening in slow motion. If you were to take Sprite or 7-Up or club soda and pour it in a glass, you see the bubbles immediately. The water in the soda was put in a container with high-pressure carbon dioxide gas, and the gas dissolved in the water. When you release the pressure, the gas comes out of solution as thousands of bubbles. They tend to appear on the sides of the glass because rough spots on the glass are where the bubbles form.In the case of water from the tap, the bubbles form (much more slowly) because air has dissolved in the water. If the tap water is cold and it warms up to room temperature as it sits on the counter, the warmer water is able to hold less gas (the amount of gas that dissolves is temperature-dependent), so the gas comes out of solution to form bubbles. Also note that the water is pressurized (say to 50 PSI) while it is sitting in the pipes. If there is any air in the system, the air can dissolve into the water.

That's easy for you to say.

Try saying from a person not as clever as me
ether707

So is there anything wrong with drinking bubbly water.

I suppose it depends whats making it bubble
deeky

That's easy for you to say.Try saying from a person not as clever as me

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2010/10/1/1925112_6df896c7-ff48-4959-bbce-76c345afb0d8_prod.jpg
danmc

Looks like he is in a HAPPY place
There's air or gas in the water, I'd suggest you call your water supplier and they will tell you if that's normal or not
danmc

Oh my ****

emilypam3la

Oh my ****:|:|

Fallen in love? (_;)
I opened this thread convinced the OP would be one of lumoruk, dimtom, mutley or the long lost JACKITT.

Imagine my surprise when I found the HUKD numpty competition had a new entrant! oO
Have you been cleaning the taps with washing up liquid and not rinsed them off?
danmc

Is this HUKD's new hidden object game thread?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants