should teams allow goals because of referees mistakes

35 replies
Found 17th Aug 2009
dont know the ins and outs of this but say a referee disallows a goal should the other team allow the other team to score in good faith.

35 Comments

I think they need to bring in video evidence.... It only takes a micro second for the playback (as seen when they show the replays immediately afterwards for those watching it on TV), so anyone who says it will slow the game down is wrong.

Too many mistakes are being made by the ref's these days, which is not always their fault, but the technology is there and is silly to not use it.

If only,

Simple answer is no, Why would they? Unless they were 5-0 up?

Ref's are their to make mistakes, Makes the decisions debatable, Which sometimes creates great banter.

Banned

shauneco;6037819

If only, Simple answer is no, Why would they? Unless they were 5-0 up? … If only, Simple answer is no, Why would they? Unless they were 5-0 up? Ref's are their to make mistakes, Makes the decisions debatable, Which sometimes creates great banter.

:thumbsup: says it all really.

shauneco;6037819

If only, Simple answer is no, Why would they? Unless they were 5-0 up? … If only, Simple answer is no, Why would they? Unless they were 5-0 up? Ref's are their to make mistakes, Makes the decisions debatable, Which sometimes creates great banter.

RUDOLF;6037825

:thumbsup: says it all really.

So you'd rather have banter down the pub about how Enland lost the final of the World Cup (yeah if only, eh!) because the ref didn't see the blatant hand ball by the other team in the penalty area, rather than them win fairly after getting the penalty awarded after looking at the video evidence ??

Banned

Babbabooey;6037850

So you'd rather have banter down the pub about how Enland lost the final … So you'd rather have banter down the pub about how Enland lost the final of the World Cup (yeah if only, eh!) because the ref didn't see the blatant hand ball by the other team in the penalty area, rather than them win fairly after getting the penalty awarded after looking at the video evidence ??

Dont go to the pub, infact hardly drink.

ITS ONLY A GAME:whistling::w00t::thumbsup:

It more than likley was THE HAND OF GOD LOL

Babbabooey;6037850

So you'd rather have banter down the pub about how Enland lost the final … So you'd rather have banter down the pub about how Enland lost the final of the World Cup (yeah if only, eh!) because the ref didn't see the blatant hand ball by the other team in the penalty area, rather than them win fairly after getting the penalty awarded after looking at the video evidence ??

Well, Generally I'd be distraught if something like that happened, However chances are their might of been a few decisions given England's way in previous games that maybe shouldn't of been given. So in general they rule themselves out over the course of the season/tournament.

I must admit though I'm all up for goal line technology if it's used in the right way, i,e sensors on in the goal etc..

So long as it's an instant decision and the game isn't stopped, Maybe they could put an official behind each net if they don't want to use sensors.

Let's keep penalty decisions debatable, But clear over the line goals like Crystal Palace's should obviously be given, The referee and linesman was shocking.

Banned

shauneco;6037957

Well, Generally I'd be distraught if something like that happened, … Well, Generally I'd be distraught if something like that happened, However chances are their might of been a few decisions given England's way in previous games that maybe shouldn't of been given. So in general they rule themselves out over the course of the season/tournament.I must admit though I'm all up for goal line technology if it's used in the right way, i,e sensors on in the goal etc..So long as it's an instant decision and the game isn't stopped, Maybe they could put an official behind each net if they don't want to use sensors. Let's keep penalty decisions debatable, But clear over the line goals like Crystal Palace's should obviously be given, The referee and linesman was shocking.

Mustard answer +1000000000000000000000:thumbsup:

Gotta disagree i'm afraid, bad ref decisions do not even themselves out over the season/tournament. And even if they did, it's still wrong to have those mistakes in the first place. Why should your team lose just because the referee is crap?

The end result should be based on how both teams perform, and mistakes from the ref should have no bearning on the games outcome whatsoever.

How can you say you want goal line technology but not any help with penalty decisions? It's the same thing, getting help on a decision, both enforced the exact same way.

Banned

Babbabooey;6037803

I think they need to bring in video evidence.... It only takes a micro … I think they need to bring in video evidence.... It only takes a micro second for the playback (as seen when they show the replays immediately afterwards for those watching it on TV), so anyone who says it will slow the game down is wrong.Too many mistakes are being made by the ref's these days, which is not always their fault, but the technology is there and is silly to not use it.

It wouldn't take micro seconds though would it? As if video evidence was used, even if it started just to see if the ball had crossed the line, then it would start getting used for dodgy offside decisions (which I would say cost more goals than the ref not seeing the ball go over the line), to see if it was a penalty and many more disputed decisions.

In any event, penalty decisions are subjective a lot of the time anyway, even after studying replays from 6 different angles you get differences of opinion with commentators so I don't see how having the ref seeing video would help solve them.

Mistakes and the like are all part and parcel of the game.

Banned

We all make mistakes in life, many we regret.
Think of one you made and gone OH S*** but you cannot go back on.
Would you defend yourself ,of cause you would.
Oh if we had a perfect world.:thumbsup::oops::santa:

if they introduce video evidence match fixing would be harder...........

RUDOLF;6038067

We all make mistakes in life, many we regret.Think of one you made and … We all make mistakes in life, many we regret.Think of one you made and gone OH S*** but you cannot go back on. Would you defend yourself ,of cause you would.Oh if we had a perfect world.:thumbsup::oops::santa:

Bit early to be drinking isn't it, lol :-D

My mistakes don't usually cost thousands or even millions of pounds though.

And saying 'mistakes are part of the game' is laughable, there is no need for the mistakes in the first place. Would you buy a new car that only works most of the time if it was part of the 'game' of owning a car?

Can anyone honestly say that they would rather their team lost because of a referee's bad decision than take a 2 second look at the replay to resolve it?

Obviousl there's one size fits all solution, but there needs to be something done to minimize the referee's outcome on games.

Just wondered.... if they used playback on decisions in the goal area... and players knew that technology was in use... would it not cut out the sometimes "excessive" holding, pushing, diving etc in the area ?
The amount of time playback takes is minimal for a correct decision, and as we have seen in cricket.. generally leads to the correct decision and also adds to the tension... as the result of the check is displayed.

Banned

Babbabooey;6038108

Bit early to be drinking isn't it, lol :-DMy mistakes don't usually cost … Bit early to be drinking isn't it, lol :-DMy mistakes don't usually cost thousands or even millions of pounds though.And saying 'mistakes are part of the game' is laughable, there is no need for the mistakes in the first place. Would you buy a new car that only works most of the time if it was part of the 'game' of owning a car? Can anyone honestly say that they would rather their team lost because of a referee's bad decision than take a 2 second look at the replay to resolve it?Obviousl there's one size fits all solution, but there needs to be something done to minimize the referee's outcome on games.

Why remove the S from sport.

Babbabooey;6038023

Gotta disagree i'm afraid, bad ref decisions do not even themselves out … Gotta disagree i'm afraid, bad ref decisions do not even themselves out over the season/tournament. And even if they did, it's still wrong to have those mistakes in the first place. Why should your team lose just because the referee is crap? The end result should be based on how both teams perform, and mistakes from the ref should have no bearning on the games outcome whatsoever.

I'm all up for seeing games being ref'd fairly and no I wouldn't won't to see United for example lose by a few bad decisions from a referee but it does happen. In fact last week United lost the Community shield perhaps because of a bad decision from the ref to let play run on, Chelsea scored even though Evra was clearly elbowed by Ballack who only moments before had the game stopped for no apparent reason other than he decided to lie down and bask in the sun.

I was a little bitter at the time, Swearing at the ref etc but it's one of those things, Human errors always going to be part of the game. Until we use robots or stop play and review virtually every foul committed.

Decisions are given both for and against, Wrongful and rightful.

I do think the refereeing at times is well below the standard, We need to improve the standard of refereeing.

RUDOLF;6038120

Why remove the S from sport.

??

Banned

Babbabooey;6038133

??

It aint sport any more:thumbsup:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determinant of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. Some view sports as differing from games based on the fact that there are usually higher levels of organization and profit (not always monetary) involved in sports. Accurate records are kept and updated for most sports at the highest levels, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news.

The term sports is sometimes extended to encompass all competitive activities in which offense and defense are played, regardless of the level of physical activity. Both games of skill and motor sport exhibit many of the characteristics of physical sports, such as skill, sportsmanship, and at the highest levels, even professional sponsorship associated with physical sports.

Sports that are subjectively judged are distinct from other judged activities such as beauty pageants and bodybuilding shows, because in the former the activity performed is the primary focus of evaluation, rather than the physical attributes of the contestant as in the latter (although "presentation" or "presence" may also be judged in both activities).

Sports are most often played just for fun or for the simple fact that people need exercise to stay in good physical condition.

Although they do not always succeed, sports participants are expected to display good sportsmanship, standards of conduct such as being respectful of opponents and officials, and congratulating the winner when losing.

Banned

Babbabooey;6038133

??

shauneco;6038123

I'm all up for seeing games being ref'd fairly and no I wouldn't won't to … I'm all up for seeing games being ref'd fairly and no I wouldn't won't to see United for example lose by a few bad decisions from a referee but it does happen. In fact last week United lost the Community shield perhaps because of a bad decision from the ref to let play run on, Chelsea scored even though Evra was clearly elbowed by Ballack who only moments before had the game stopped for no apparent reason other than he decided to lie down and bask in the sun.I was a little bitter at the time, Swearing at the ref etc but it's one of those things, Human errors always going to be part of the game. Until we use robots or stop play and review virtually every foul committed.Decisions are given both for and against, Wrongful and rightful.I do think the refereeing at times is well below the standard, We need to improve the standard of refereeing.

:thumbsup: Im going to nominate you as a Ambassador for the SPORT:santa:

SuperEd

if video evidence was introduced it would ruin the game

Banned

shauneco;6038123

I'm all up for seeing games being ref'd fairly and no I wouldn't won't to … I'm all up for seeing games being ref'd fairly and no I wouldn't won't to see United for example lose by a few bad decisions from a referee but it does happen. In fact last week United lost the Community shield perhaps because of a bad decision from the ref to let play run on, Chelsea scored even though Evra was clearly elbowed by Ballack who only moments before had the game stopped for no apparent reason other than he decided to lie down and bask in the sun.I was a little bitter at the time, Swearing at the ref etc but it's one of those things, Human errors always going to be part of the game. Until we use robots or stop play and review virtually every foul committed.Decisions are given both for and against, Wrongful and rightful.I do think the refereeing at times is well below the standard, We need to improve the standard of refereeing.

The ref didn't make an error with the Chelsea goal though.

RUDOLF;6038139

It aint sport any more:thumbsup:Sport is an activity that is governed by … It aint sport any more:thumbsup:Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determinant of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. Some view sports as differing from games based on the fact that there are usually higher levels of organization and profit (not always monetary) involved in sports. Accurate records are kept and updated for most sports at the highest levels, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news.The term sports is sometimes extended to encompass all competitive activities in which offense and defense are played, regardless of the level of physical activity. Both games of skill and motor sport exhibit many of the characteristics of physical sports, such as skill, sportsmanship, and at the highest levels, even professional sponsorship associated with physical sports.Sports that are subjectively judged are distinct from other judged activities such as beauty pageants and bodybuilding shows, because in the former the activity performed is the primary focus of evaluation, rather than the physical attributes of the contestant as in the latter (although "presentation" or "presence" may also be judged in both activities).Sports are most often played just for fun or for the simple fact that people need exercise to stay in good physical condition.Although they do not always succeed, sports participants are expected to display good sportsmanship, standards of conduct such as being respectful of opponents and officials, and congratulating the winner when losing.

I still don't understand your point?
Is it to say that it's just a game, so we should leave it as is? If so, then have you seen how much revenue is made from football? Or how many people are employeed inside the realm of the 'sport'? It is not only sport, it's a business. And an extremely lucrative one too, all the more reason to take out the needless ambiguity and mistakes.

Banned

goonertillidie;6038150

if video evidence was introduced it would ruin the game

Why? Because Wenger would have to stop his preposterous 'I didn't see' bs?

Bring it in for goal-line decisions, something similar to Ice Hockey has.

Banned

RUDOLF;6038139

It aint sport any more:thumbsup:

So because rugby uses video refs, it isn't any longer a sport?

FilthAndFurry;6038154

The ref didn't make an error with the Chelsea goal though.

Yeah the goal was legit, But Evra was fouled

Even if Evra wasn't fouled, He was down just like Ballack

Play was stopped for Chelsea

Yet continued against United

= Inconsistent refereeing = Unfair refereeing.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6038173

So because rugby uses video refs, it isn't any longer a sport?

No you are taking it out of context there, my view was we all make mistakes,:thumbsup:

Banned

shauneco;6038197

Yeah the goal was legit, But Evra was fouledEven if Evra wasn't fouled, … Yeah the goal was legit, But Evra was fouledEven if Evra wasn't fouled, He was down just like BallackPlay was stopped for ChelseaYet continued against United= Inconsistent refereeing = Unfair refereeing.

The ref made a mistake first time around, stopping the game for Ballack. Each decision should be judged on it's own merits.

RUDOLF;6038222

No you are taking it out of context there, my view was we all make … No you are taking it out of context there, my view was we all make mistakes,:thumbsup:

And that makes it ok?

Banned

RUDOLF;6038222

No you are taking it out of context there, my view was we all make … No you are taking it out of context there, my view was we all make mistakes,:thumbsup:

So we should do what we can to prevent them and rectify the ones we do make, without disrupting the flow of the game.

Sky sports can show me a replay of a contentious decision before the game restarts. I'm sure we could somehow find technology that tells us as soon as the ball crosses the line so there would be no delay at all.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6038252

So we should do what we can to prevent them and rectify the ones we do … So we should do what we can to prevent them and rectify the ones we do make, without disrupting the flow of the game.Sky sports can show me a replay of a contentious decision before the game restarts. I'm sure we could somehow find technology that tells us as soon as the ball crosses the line so there would be no delay at all.

:thumbsup::-D:gift::santa:

FilthAndFurry;6038252

So we should do what we can to prevent them and rectify the ones we do … So we should do what we can to prevent them and rectify the ones we do make, without disrupting the flow of the game.Sky sports can show me a replay of a contentious decision before the game restarts. I'm sure we could somehow find technology that tells us as soon as the ball crosses the line so there would be no delay at all.

Yes, If they can put a man on the moon the put a man at the side of the net.

SuperEd

FilthAndFurry;6038163

Why? Because Wenger would have to stop his preposterous 'I didn't see' … Why? Because Wenger would have to stop his preposterous 'I didn't see' bs?Bring it in for goal-line decisions, something similar to Ice Hockey has.

it would ruin the game end of. and whats wenger got to do with it?. think it would make the game boring -like CRICKET

SuperEd

shauneco;6038316

Yes, If they can put a man on the moon the put a man at the side of the … Yes, If they can put a man on the moon the put a man at the side of the net.

and a linesman by each goal is a better option :thumbsup:

When it comes to technology. I think it should be brought in.

But when it comes to the Community Shield match I say that it is the ref's decision to stop the game. Not the players and not the managers. So i think there was nothing wrong with CHelsea's goal.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Is this junction box wired properly??1015
    2. Foo fighters presale code.2222
    3. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…46
    4. What's this on my neighbours roof?1517

See more discussions