Groups

Should the UK join the EURO?

Discuss.

Hope to get some intelligent debate here!

68 Comments

Is it going to survive the Greece crisis?

NO...debate over
    please now close the thread Mods

Banned

no, never, a thousand times worse now than when it came in, and we didnt join then luckily

we were really given the hard sell back when Ireland was having its boom, and was told it was the benefit of joining the euro.
    That boom was caused by some temporary investment, which now has gone (such as dell limerick's tax help, and then they left)

There's still a much better case for joining the Dollar (though we are already too much their lap dogs)

how about joining the chinese RMB? we might as well, China seems to own and make everything we use now

Banned

NO..
    /end of discussion

no no no no no

/thread

NO! Cos I wouldn't feel I was on holiday when I went to Spain/France etc having no money to change

Banned

Nope!

well ill be the first to say yes then

Simple answer : No

Who would want to with countries like

Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy to some extent, Ireland

Not to mention some of the eastern European countries.

I think we are better off as we are.

Never, end of argument !!

lol, good old traditional British alienation thats holds us back,

With a common currency it will be easier to compare prices in different European countries because they would all be in Euros. This enables firms to source cheaper raw material and consumers to but cheaper goods For example, new car prices are much higher in the UK than elsewhere, a single currency could help reduce these price differentials.

Volatile swings in the exchange rate can destroy the profitability of exports. This undermines business confidence in investing. Therefore with a single currency business confidence should improve leading to greater trade and economic growth.

there are very stricy financial criteria for being allowed to join the euro-we dont meet those criteria,and have no chance of doing so for at least 5 years(and that is optimistic) so this is a spurious argument. One of the reasons why it makes me so angry when cameron lies through his teeth and tells scare stories about the lib dems taking us into the euro when firstly they dont want to,and secondly they couldnt anyways.

barky;8495423

there are very stricy financial criteria for being allowed to join the … there are very stricy financial criteria for being allowed to join the euro-we dont meet those criteria,and have no chance of doing so for at least 5 years(and that is optimistic) so this is a spurious argument. One of the reasons why it makes me so angry when cameron lies through his teeth and tells scare stories about the lib dems taking us into the euro when firstly they dont want to,and secondly they couldnt anyways.

true we can;t join cos we're more sexxed than Greece....

Alfonse;8495436

true we can;t join cos we're more ****** than Greece....

:lol:

no, dont fancy repricing everything - it would be too much hassle for all the business owners etc.

screw that, why cant europe join the pound

SuperEd

no...

No..

But i'd personally like a referendum on it to end the debate

Banned

spritey;8495500

No..But i'd personally like a referendum on it to end the debate

a referendum wont end it, they will keep asking till we give the 'right' answer

Hell no! the way I see it is its the pound that makes us british we lose the pound we lose our identity.

Mo786;8495566

Hell no! the way I see it is its the pound that makes us british we lose … Hell no! the way I see it is its the pound that makes us british we lose the pound we lose our identity.

a coin???????

you serious

Euroland doesn't sound as good as Poundland, so no.

Shengis;8495608

Euroland doesn't sound as good as Poundland, so no.

a rose by any other name.............

I have wondered why we didn't keep the different names of old currencies, but link them as one currency - i.e., a 'Euro', but just called something different in each country. For example we could call it a 'Pound'. I wonder if that simple move would have got rid of much of the objection. The 'value' of the Euro, but the name we are familiar with and feels like 'ours'.

Personally I think there are strong arguments for us being in the EU and therefore for joining the Euro (at some point). I also see no reason why the stronger economies in Europe should not support the weaker ones.

Banned

Alfonse;8495624

could have been Guinealand, if decimalisation didnt happen

in order to link currencies as mentioned above, it would require massive devaluing, which we have had enough of, due to selling of gold reserves, and then we would be in more problems due to greece etc when we have enough of our own

Being in the Euro, or tied to it, benefits the poor countries, and we seem to end up paying for them all

Alfonse;8495624

1.15Euroland?

Banned

Never

jubbyme;8495648

Being in the Euro, or tied to it, benefits the poor countries, and we … Being in the Euro, or tied to it, benefits the poor countries, and we seem to end up paying for them all

like we aren't already......:whistling:

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="6"]YES[/SIZE][/COLOR] :thumbsup:

Deffo as I have £200,000 in france waiting for a crap rate of about £1.07 GBP to €1 Euro so I can bring it over @ a good rate :whistling:

/fin thread ;-)

Shengis;8495656

1.15Euroland?

is that the ttime you go there, I go around 12.30 usually.......

Banned

yes lets join

im gonna sit from afar and watch this country self implode

whatsThePoint;8495734

we could of avoided all this euro and eu crap by just losing WW2 in the … we could of avoided all this euro and eu crap by just losing WW2 in the first place

[SIZE="4"]Stop going on about the war, you started it. “We did not start it,” protests the German. “Yes you did, you invaded Poland” [/SIZE]:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Banned

Alfonse;8495702

like we aren't already......:whistling:

i know, do we need to make it even worse by joining the euro!

Banned

No

I like the British currency, IMO it shows independance from the rest of the EU

remember

Clegg is anti-USA

And

Cameron is anti EU

jubbyme;8495771

i know, do we need to make it even worse by joining the euro!

It is often failed to be acknowledged that if we did join the Euro we would be pretty much the major player in what happens and controls and such.

Banned

Alfonse;8495790

It is often failed to be acknowledged that if we did join the Euro we … It is often failed to be acknowledged that if we did join the Euro we would be pretty much the major player in what happens and controls and such.

I wish that was the case, but seeing as belgium and germany control the whole europe things as is, i dont believe we will have any more control at all, we are already straining under too many euro laws that are no good to us, we didnt even have any chance to elect the euro president, so much for democracy

Alfonse;8495790

It is often failed to be acknowledged that if we did join the Euro we … It is often failed to be acknowledged that if we did join the Euro we would be pretty much the major player in what happens and controls and such.

True, also when Britains massively in debt & crippled economy :roll: crashes and burns soon after Mr Brown has left next week (on a HUGE pension) after the election. The others in the Eurozone can be there to help / bail out bankrupt Britain too :thumbsup:

jubbyme;8495821

I wish that was the case, but seeing as belgium and germany control the … I wish that was the case, but seeing as belgium and germany control the whole europe things as is, i dont believe we will have any more control at all, we are already straining under too many euro laws that are no good to us, we didnt even have any chance to elect the euro president, so much for democracy

lets not confuse economics with other matters

No.

Do you really want the EU setting our interest rates, which is the same for all the Euro countries? Many Europeans are renters, not buyers, so any change in interest would hit Britain hardest. The country should be in charge of it's own interest rates, locally, rather than a Eurowide change.

There's many other disadvantages as well, it's not just the stubborn Britishness of it.

Banned

Alfonse;8495843

lets not confuse economics with other matters

I just think that we will be railroaded just the same, not only our laws, but then our money controlled by someone else, I honestly think the two will be connected just the same, hence bringing it up
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2951
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?26120
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891718
      4. Sad news about Barcelona24107

See more discussions