Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Should we boycott Chinese products?

Posted 17th Dec 2019
Considering the poor way the Chinese government treats its people and in particular the horrendous things going on in Hong Kong and recent security issues with some of its telecom companies and its helping to cause sufferance of British Steel workers by flooding the world with cheap, inferior quality steel, is it about time we stopped buying anything made in China? I know some people will say that would mean there would be nothing left to buy but there are always options. I personally am seriously considering this starting with my upcoming mobile phone purchase. What do the rest of you noble HUKDers think
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad

Groups

Top comments
...would be a very challenging task as nearly everything is made in china and priced competitively..
Not sure there could be a phone without Chinese electronics in it. You'll be limited to two tin cans and a piece of string. I won't bother writing anymore than that as any comments that I make that have any political stance get deleted by hotukdeals moderators from past experience.
59 Comments
...would be a very challenging task as nearly everything is made in china and priced competitively..
Nope. It would be extremely hard to boycott products that are made in China anyway because even companies that are for example British, American, German or Japanese owned often outsource production to factories there. What mobile phone are you thinking of purchasing that is not made in China?
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 17th Dec 2019
Not sure there could be a phone without Chinese electronics in it. You'll be limited to two tin cans and a piece of string. I won't bother writing anymore than that as any comments that I make that have any political stance get deleted by hotukdeals moderators from past experience.
China abd Hong Kong are 2 different places lol
And good luck, wonder where parts of your phone or pc made
AMaky17/12/2019 22:41

China abd Hong Kong are 2 different places lolAnd good luck, wonder where …China abd Hong Kong are 2 different places lolAnd good luck, wonder where parts of your phone or pc made

How are China and Hong Kong two different places? Allegedly Hong Kong is under its own control but recent events show that is simply not the case. China rules Hong Kong.
For a free market, if the products are not proper, people won’t buy them. Then the companies will die as they can’t provide the suitable products. The products made in China are cheap, but it doesn’t mean they’re low quality. The money Chinese workers are making is much less than developed countries. For example, a steel worker in China may make £700 per month. Will it be enough to pay a worker in UK? It’s good if we can buy cheap and good-quality products.
That would mean no more Xbox so the answer is NO
Arto17/12/2019 22:50

How often do u buy a new xbox
deals6917/12/2019 22:50

How often do u buy a new xbox

Every time a new version comes out
Arto17/12/2019 22:51

Every time a new version comes out

Ohh I thought this boycott was short term 🤫
samwants2save17/12/2019 22:34

...would be a very challenging task as nearly everything is made in china …...would be a very challenging task as nearly everything is made in china and priced competitively..

Haircut_10017/12/2019 22:35

Nope. It would be extremely hard to boycott products that are made in …Nope. It would be extremely hard to boycott products that are made in China anyway because even companies that are for example British, American, German or Japanese owned often outsource production to factories there. What mobile phone are you thinking of purchasing that is not made in China?

bonzobanana17/12/2019 22:35

Not sure there could be a phone without Chinese electronics in it. You'll …Not sure there could be a phone without Chinese electronics in it. You'll be limited to two tin cans and a piece of string. I won't bother writing anymore than that as any comments that I make that have any political stance get deleted by hotukdeals moderators from past experience.

Yes, I accept it wouldn’t be easy but is it really totally impossible? What about Japanese phones? There must be some alternatives out there or are we all really citizens under a Chinese rule for want of a better term? If that really is the case then maybe I would prefer the idea of the two cans and a string idea although somebody would probably either tie a third can to it or cut the string!

Maybe @MrSwitch would have some info on totally non Chinese phones or maybe I’ve just set him off in fits of laughter for eternity.
Bargainatix17/12/2019 22:45

How are China and Hong Kong two different places? Allegedly Hong Kong is …How are China and Hong Kong two different places? Allegedly Hong Kong is under its own control but recent events show that is simply not the case. China rules Hong Kong.

good luck calling someone from Hong Kong chinese then lol
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 22:49

For a free market, if the products are not proper, people won’t buy them. T …For a free market, if the products are not proper, people won’t buy them. Then the companies will die as they can’t provide the suitable products. The products made in China are cheap, but it doesn’t mean they’re low quality. The money Chinese workers are making is much less than developed countries. For example, a steel worker in China may make £700 per month. Will it be enough to pay a worker in UK? It’s good if we can buy cheap and good-quality products.

Earnings can’t be compared directly. They have to be put in terms of what you can buy for that money
Arto17/12/2019 22:50

I’ve never had an Xbox and never intend to so no problems there.
AMaky17/12/2019 22:55

I am not calling them Chinese, I am saying they are under Chinese authority and control.
Bargainatix17/12/2019 22:56

Earnings can’t be compared directly. They have to be put in terms of what y …Earnings can’t be compared directly. They have to be put in terms of what you can buy for that money

If the UK factory produces the products, then the price will be higher, which means people living in UK need to pay more for the same product.
Edited by: "Smashing.deal" 17th Dec 2019
Bargainatix17/12/2019 22:59

I am not calling them Chinese, I am saying they are under Chinese …I am not calling them Chinese, I am saying they are under Chinese authority and control.

23 years ago, they’re under UK authority and control(lol)
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 23:03

In 1997 Hong Kong reverted from British rule to Chinese rule. Chris Patton was the last British governor of Hong Kong
Bargainatix17/12/2019 23:06

In 1997 Hong Kong reverted from British rule to Chinese rule. Chris Patton …In 1997 Hong Kong reverted from British rule to Chinese rule. Chris Patton was the last British governor of Hong Kong

Then it should be before 1997, they were under British authority and control(flirt) for
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 23:03

Bargainatix17/12/2019 23:06

In 1997 Hong Kong reverted from British rule to Chinese rule. Chris Patton …In 1997 Hong Kong reverted from British rule to Chinese rule. Chris Patton was the last British governor of Hong Kong

Then it should be before 1997, they had been under British authority and control for 50 years(flirt) . Are there 50 years? I’m not good at history(:I
AMaky17/12/2019 22:55

I have friends from Hong Kong, they consider themselves Chinese.
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 23:01

If the UK factory produces the products, then the price will be higher, …If the UK factory produces the products, then the price will be higher, which means people living in UK need to pay more for the same product.

I meant in terms of what quality of life and goods can a Chinese worker buy for that £700per month income? A British worker could still be on the breadline earning £1000 per month but that same Chinese worker could be running two homes comfortably on it. Equally the Chinese steel worker is probably not constantly fearing that their job may be lost at a moments notice because of unfair competition.
deleted2176807
Are you kidding !!! china is mega power
Bargainatix17/12/2019 23:13

I meant in terms of what quality of life and goods can a Chinese worker …I meant in terms of what quality of life and goods can a Chinese worker buy for that £700per month income? A British worker could still be on the breadline earning £1000 per month but that same Chinese worker could be running two homes comfortably on it. Equally the Chinese steel worker is probably not constantly fearing that their job may be lost at a moments notice because of unfair competition.

As far as I know, a lots of Chinese steel factories have been closed in recent 10 years. Thousands of people lost the jobs. For daily food, yes, the Chinese workers can buy more with the same money. If it’s a phone, the price will be similar. iPhone in China are more expensive than US, however the price in UK is the most expensive as far as I know;( . Usually people can buy the cheapest iPhone in Hong Kong because of tax free. Hong Kong is a good place.
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 23:11

Then it should be before 1997, they were under British authority and …Then it should be before 1997, they were under British authority and control(flirt) for Then it should be before 1997, they had been under British authority and control for 50 years(flirt) . Are there 50 years? I’m not good at history(:I

I am really sorry but I don’t understand your response/comment. You said Hong Kong is under UK authority and control. I was just responding that they are not. It had been under British control for 156 years prior to that excepting four years under Japanese control during the Second World War. Personally I cannot understand how any country can claim to “own” another country unless the latter has requested it. The idea of Empires saddens and embarrasses me.
Some really good phones that are NOT made in China. Samsung note 10 plus is a great phone. zdnet.com/pic…na/
deleted217680717/12/2019 23:19

Are you kidding !!! china is mega power

China is poor. The GDP per capita is less than 10000 USD. However UK will be more than 40000 USD. It seems that China have loads of money. But it’s purely because they have a huge population. Most of the people can’t have a comfortable life. The people who live in southern China can’t enjoy the heating like UK. The temperature can be lower than -4 degrees. How warm it is in UK.
When viewing Google Maps, why not just cover China up with your thumb or hand and pretend it doesn't exist?
It'll have the same effect as a boycott
Not the smartest thing I’ve read today
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 23:20

As far as I know, a lots of Chinese steel factories have been closed in …As far as I know, a lots of Chinese steel factories have been closed in recent 10 years. Thousands of people lost the jobs. For daily food, yes, the Chinese workers can buy more with the same money. If it’s a phone, the price will be similar. iPhone in China are more expensive than US, however the price in UK is the most expensive as far as I know;( . Usually people can buy the cheapest iPhone in Hong Kong because of tax free. Hong Kong is a good place.

Yes US is cheapest but according to a Businessinsider.com report detailing the cost of an iPhone 11 in various countries around the world, China is the fourth cheapest place to buy it and the UK is the third most expensive at around 20% more expensive. So much for our special relationship with America!
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell17/12/2019 23:32

When viewing Google Maps, why not just cover China up with your thumb or …When viewing Google Maps, why not just cover China up with your thumb or hand and pretend it doesn't exist?It'll have the same effect as a boycott

Absolutely. Quite probably very true
@Bargainatix

Keep a diary in December and January sales and let us know item by item how you boycotted with success, namely goods that you bought.

You could be an aspirational role model for us all. I am not expecting a blank sheet from you on 1st February 2020.
deleted2176807
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 23:28

China is poor. The GDP per capita is less than 10000 USD. However UK will …China is poor. The GDP per capita is less than 10000 USD. However UK will be more than 40000 USD. It seems that China have loads of money. But it’s purely because they have a huge population. Most of the people can’t have a comfortable life. The people who live in southern China can’t enjoy the heating like UK. The temperature can be lower than -4 degrees. How warm it is in UK.

What are you actually chatting about! CHINA IS MEGA POWER in almost majority
Edited by: "deleted2176807" 17th Dec 2019
DexterMorganxxxx17/12/2019 23:28

Some really good phones that are NOT made in China. Samsung note 10 plus …Some really good phones that are NOT made in China. Samsung note 10 plus is a great phone. https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/10-best-smartphones-not-made-in-china/

Samsung phones are still full of Chinese made electronics. Taiwan which is China but 'the republic of China' not the 'People's republic of China' is a truly fantastic democracy and not like mainland China at all and they have a lot of tech companies that design electronics but they still manufacture most of it in mainland China as do US and European brands. Yes there are major SOC's not made in mainland China but fabricated in some other countries but most of the smaller electronics and other support chips are often Chinese. If you don't want to support the mainland China economy choose a budget smartphone so less of your money is going into China. Buy a £40 phone instead of a £600 phone.
deleted2176807
Haha boycotting china the super power....sure right!
Edited by: "deleted2176807" 17th Dec 2019
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 23:28

China is poor. The GDP per capita is less than 10000 USD. However UK will …China is poor. The GDP per capita is less than 10000 USD. However UK will be more than 40000 USD. It seems that China have loads of money. But it’s purely because they have a huge population. Most of the people can’t have a comfortable life. The people who live in southern China can’t enjoy the heating like UK. The temperature can be lower than -4 degrees. How warm it is in UK.

Very sadly those comments are increasingly attributable to the UK.

It can get down to -20 or so in some parts of the UK and a hugely increasing number of people in poverty and in particular fuel poverty.

According to The Independent around 3,000 British people die each year due to fuel poverty and the inability to adequately keep warm. Shameful
Bargainatix17/12/2019 23:35

Yes US is cheapest but according to a Businessinsider.com report detailing …Yes US is cheapest but according to a Businessinsider.com report detailing the cost of an iPhone 11 in various countries around the world, China is the fourth cheapest place to buy it and the UK is the third most expensive at around 20% more expensive. So much for our special relationship with America!

You’re right. Apple set a lower RRP of iPhone 11 in China which is even cheaper than iPhone XR. That’s the first time that a new iPhone is cheaper than the previous version. It’s mainly because iPhone were losing market share to other Chinese brands. They have to lower the price to get more sales. Competition brings better products to consumers at a more reasonable price. People in UK should get a better price imo.
At least I think I have my answer. Whether anyone thinks we should or should not boycott Chinese goods you generally believe it is nigh on impossible to do so. Fair point. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it. It helps my ongoing understanding. I knew I could rely on fellow HUKDers.
Bargainatix17/12/2019 23:42

Very sadly those comments are increasingly attributable to the UK.It can …Very sadly those comments are increasingly attributable to the UK.It can get down to -20 or so in some parts of the UK and a hugely increasing number of people in poverty and in particular fuel poverty.According to The Independent around 3,000 British people die each year due to fuel poverty and the inability to adequately keep warm. Shameful

Sorry to hear that. People shouldn’t die due to coldness in modern societies. I believe the government should do something for those people.
splender17/12/2019 23:36

@Bargainatix Keep a diary in December and January sales and let us know …@Bargainatix Keep a diary in December and January sales and let us know item by item how you boycotted with success, namely goods that you bought.You could be an aspirational role model for us all. I am not expecting a blank sheet from you on 1st February 2020.

Lol. Apart from a new mobile I’m not planning or expecting to buy anything in any way tech related so I’m sorry to disappoint but the list won’t be long.
Smashing.deal17/12/2019 23:51

Sorry to hear that. People shouldn’t die due to coldness in modern s …Sorry to hear that. People shouldn’t die due to coldness in modern societies. I believe the government should do something for those people.

Absolutely. I totally agree. Sadly most Governments only care for the interests of a few and ignore the many. I very much doubt our new Government will do anything to improve the situation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants