Groups

Should we make the gun laws even stricter?

Personally I think they are about right,we have some very tough laws and the rarity of such incidents such as Hungerford,Dunblane & Cumbria shows that we do not have a massive issue?

Opinions?

83 Comments

Banned

no...........

no, you cant legislate for people flipping their lid, this is a very rare occurrence (in the UK)

Keep them as they are, the likelihood is that events such as you said would happen even if the laws were stricter, if somebody wants to do stuff like that they will find a way to do it

Banned

Well I don't think it's right that I've got a semi automatic .177 air pistol.

i would tighten them up even more, the arguments in support of having guns are very weak

Unusual thread, discussing gun laws immediately a major gun-related incident. Same old......

lumoruk;8772694

Well I don't think it's right that I've got a semi automatic .177 air … Well I don't think it's right that I've got a semi automatic .177 air pistol.

I agree. Scary thought.

Banned

i think they should be as tight as tight can be, although saying that i am not sure what gun laws are, but the tighter the better, if there is room to make them tighter then yes i say

sassie;8772732

i think they should be as tight as tight can be, although saying that i … i think they should be as tight as tight can be, although saying that i am not sure what gun laws are, but the tighter the better, if there is room to make them tighter then yes i say

I agree with you sassie - just look at the USA

Banned

sassie;8772732

i think they should be as tight as tight can be, although saying that i … i think they should be as tight as tight can be, although saying that i am not sure what gun laws are, but the tighter the better, if there is room to make them tighter then yes i say

I've just read the act and apparently my semi automatic gas powered air pistol is illegal or am I reading it wrong?

"(1)A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council [F1or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers—

[F9(af)any air rifle, air gun or air pistol which uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system;]" [opsi.gov.uk/Rev…n_1

I would completely ban shotguns and firearms for all except the forces of law and order.

informative article about numbers of firearms etc including the decrease in gun related crime
    news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

lumoruk;8772762

I've just read the act and apparently my semi automatic gas powered air … I've just read the act and apparently my semi automatic gas powered air pistol is illegal or am I reading it wrong?

It's your gun, ffs. Shouldn't you know?

Banned

Unless you need a gun for work, I'm not sure why you would be granted a gun licence.

To me, in regards this story there were two factors - a bloke flipping out and availability of firearms.

Now you can't control people flipping out, but you can control firearms.

Banned

dcx_badass;8772806

No, they are fine as they are, already strict And you can't stop people … No, they are fine as they are, already strict And you can't stop people going crazy.

no you cant, but you can limit the damage done when they do

dcx_badass;8772806

No, they are fine as they are, already strict And you can't stop people … No, they are fine as they are, already strict And you can't stop people going crazy.

Its not about stopping people going crazy, its about stopping people who do go crazy having access to deadly weapons.

And before you say it yes I know many items can be weapons in the wrong hands but lets face it guns are designed to kill so they're availibility should be removed

Banned

sassie;8772813

no you cant, but you can limit the damage done when they do

Crikey - I actually agree with Sassie. But I'm right, which means she must be right too. Quick, everyone get your ice skates on - we're going to hell.:w00t:

I also think possession of illegal firearms should be at least a minimum 10-year sentence.

Banned

strict enough as they are

lets not start having knee jerk reactions so that everyone has to suffer just because of 1 nut job

.22 rifles ffs

maybe start with something that kills thousands of people a year and costs millions like alcohol or tobacco........

Banned

casparwhite;8772842

strict enough as they arelets not start having knee jerk reactions so … strict enough as they arelets not start having knee jerk reactions so that everyone has to suffer just because of 1 nut job.22 rifles ffs

I'm not against people who need guns for their jobs getting a licence. Do taxi drivers really need guns though?

yes we should makes laws stricter

Banned

FilthAndFurry;8772849

I'm not against people who need guns for their jobs getting a licence. Do … I'm not against people who need guns for their jobs getting a licence. Do taxi drivers really need guns though?

what difference does it matter what job they do?

brought up in the country mate, used to go rabbiting with lurchers and a lamp........there are thousands of similar people

you are clearly a city boy with no idea

Banned

casparwhite;8772859

what difference does it matter what job they do?brought up in the country … what difference does it matter what job they do?brought up in the country mate, used to go rabbiting with lurchers and a lamp........there are thousands of similar peopleyou are clearly a city boy with no idea

I'm fine with people who need guns in the country to deal with vermin. I'm also fine with fox hunting.

I'm just not so cool with people needing guns for something other than a job. If that makes me a 'city boy' then fine.

But like I said, you can't control when a person might flip out, but you can control what weapons they have access to.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;8772875

I'm fine with people who need guns in the country to deal with vermin. … I'm fine with people who need guns in the country to deal with vermin. I'm also fine with fox hunting.I'm just not so cool with people needing guns for something other than a job. If that makes me a 'city boy' then fine. But like I said, you can't control when a person might flip out, but you can control what weapons they have access to.

well its a sport not neccesarily to get rid of the vermin although some places it is required.......its second nature in the country

thousands of people are killed by cars because they drive drunk or irresponsibly......shall we ban them also for people who dont actually need them

I must admit it was quite easy for me to get a firearms licence, but maybe that is because I live in the countryside and other members of the household already had them.
    I think that the law is about right to be honest, guns are necessary for people's livelihoods and also sports which are part of our heritage.
    It has become harder to buy things like the cartridges, you now need a licence to buy them.
    I think people who blow their nut and go on crazy killing sprees will always find a way to do it, if the Cumbria chap had done it with a knife would you be suggesting we ban all knives? Plus, guns will always be available on the black market, so if there is a will there is a way, as they say.

Banned

casparwhite;8772899

well its a sport not neccesarily to get rid of the vermin although some … well its a sport not neccesarily to get rid of the vermin although some places it is required.......its second nature in the countrythousands of people are killed by cars because they drive drunk or irresponsibly......shall we ban them also for people who dont actually need them

they are banned from owning a car, same as banning owning a gun, no :?

but there is no other reason to own a gun, other than to cause harm, no?

Banned

casparwhite;8772899

well its a sport not neccesarily to get rid of the vermin although some … well its a sport not neccesarily to get rid of the vermin although some places it is required.......its second nature in the countrythousands of people are killed by cars because they drive drunk or irresponsibly......shall we ban them also for people who dont actually need them

I thought you were going to bring up knives instead of guns - that seems to be the erroneous comparison du jour.

Guns are a necessary part of the infrastructure of society and I'm losing interest typing this because you're too smart not to get it so I'm going to trail of in my own head to the theme tune of the Banana Splits even though those freaky things terrified me as a kid.....

FilthAndFurry;8772875

I'm fine with people who need guns in the country to deal with vermin. … I'm fine with people who need guns in the country to deal with vermin. I'm also fine with fox hunting.I'm just not so cool with people needing guns for something other than a job. If that makes me a 'city boy' then fine. But like I said, you can't control when a person might flip out, but you can control what weapons they have access to.

What about sports like clay pigeon shooting and pheasant shooting etc, surely you can't be suggesting that there is an outright ban on these? Clay pigeon shooting is an olympic sport!!

Banned

sassie;8772911

they are banned from owning a car, same as banning owning a gun, no :? … they are banned from owning a car, same as banning owning a gun, no :? but there is no other reason to own a gun, other than to cause harm, no?

hardly a comparison sassie.......

most people do not need a car.....there is public transport for 90% of people if not more........shall we ban people from driving cars because people are using them to kill?

what it was a knife? or a samurai sword........a hammer?

another person blind to how the people live in the country

Banned

sickly sweet;8772903

I must admit it was quite easy for me to get a firearms licence, but … I must admit it was quite easy for me to get a firearms licence, but maybe that is because I live in the countryside and other members of the household already had them.I think that the law is about right to be honest, guns are necessary for people's livelihoods and also sports which are part of our heritage.It has become harder to buy things like the cartridges, you now need a licence to buy them.I think people who blow their nut and go on crazy killing sprees will always find a way to do it, if the Cumbria chap had done it with a knife would you be suggesting we ban all knives? Plus, guns will always be available on the black market, so if there is a will there is a way, as they say.

If you can show me someone who has done a drive-by stabbing anywhere in the world, I'd love it because it sounds cool, but it also sounds slightly unlikely.

As for guns on the black market - massively oversimplification of how easy it is based apparently on episodes of EastEnders.

a rifle or shotgun can kill, of course. but ban that sort of weapon and if someone, for whatever reason or through whatever condition, decides to kill other people, then they will just use another weapon. that could be a knife, axe or something similar. it could even be something as simple as their car. it'd be very easy to repeatedly kill pedestrians. i think we just have to be thankful at the relative rarity of extreme violence in this country.

Banned

casparwhite;8772929

hardly a comparison sassie.......most people do not need a car.....there … hardly a comparison sassie.......most people do not need a car.....there is public transport for 90% of people if not more........shall we ban people from driving cars because people are using them to kill?what it was a knife? or a samurai sword........a hammer?another person blind to how the people live in the country

i see no reason to make it easy for anyone to own a firearm, you where the one that chose the car as comparison, i think its pretty stupid to use a car as a comparison but answered your post anyway

and blind, i know how people live in the country, living in a rural area i know exactly what some class as fun, sport or whatever you want to call it

Banned

FilthAndFurry;8772931

If you can show me someone who has done a drive-by stabbing anywhere in … If you can show me someone who has done a drive-by stabbing anywhere in the world, I'd love it because it sounds cool, but it also sounds slightly unlikely.As for guns on the black market - massively oversimplification of how easy it is based apparently on episodes of EastEnders.

its not hard to get hold of a gun, even decomissioned weapons can be made to work again

again you are showing you know little of country life.....city boy stick to ur eastenders as that appears to be all u know of guns in this country

Banned

sickly sweet;8772923

What about sports like clay pigeon shooting and pheasant shooting etc, … What about sports like clay pigeon shooting and pheasant shooting etc, surely you can't be suggesting that there is an outright ban on these? Clay pigeon shooting is an olympic sport!!

Then you fall into the camp that killing sprees like this will happen and some country sports/heritage outweigh one human life.

It's a reasonable position to take and I wouldn't attack you on it - I'd just ask how many lives country pursuits are worth in your opinion.

FilthAndFurry;8772931

If you can show me someone who has done a drive-by stabbing anywhere in … If you can show me someone who has done a drive-by stabbing anywhere in the world, I'd love it because it sounds cool, but it also sounds slightly unlikely.As for guns on the black market - massively oversimplification of how easy it is based apparently on episodes of EastEnders.

Well I have never watched Eastenders in my life so don't know what that is all about, but I know they are available on the black market, I was offered one by someone once before I had my licence and declined!

And yes, I have heard of news stories where people drive in a car, get out, stab someone and drive away, and no it doesn't sound cool.

Banned

casparwhite;8772943

its not hard to get hold of a gun, even decomissioned weapons can be made … its not hard to get hold of a gun, even decomissioned weapons can be made to work againagain you are showing you know little of country life.....city boy stick to ur eastenders as that appears to be all u know of guns in this country

I don't take city boy as much of an insult as you seem to think. I'm fine with guns be used as tools, but I think that is all.

I'm still at a loss as to why a 52 year old taxi driver needed a gun:?

Banned

sassie;8772937

i see no reason to make it easy for anyone to own a firearm, you where … i see no reason to make it easy for anyone to own a firearm, you where the one that chose the car as comparison, i think its pretty stupid to use a car as a comparison but answered your post anywayand blind, i know how people live in the country, living in a rural area i know exactly what some class as fun, sport or whatever you want to call it

you said people are stopped from driving after they have offended..,..,..

that was the daft comparison

we are talking about preventing it by banning guns........my comparison was should we ban cars

FilthAndFurry;8772959

I don't take city boy as much of an insult as you seem to think. I'm fine … I don't take city boy as much of an insult as you seem to think. I'm fine with guns be used as tools, but I think that is all.I'm still at a loss as to why a 52 year old taxi driver needed a gun:?

Why does his age make any difference?

Banned

sickly sweet;8772948

Well I have never watched Eastenders in my life so don't know what that … Well I have never watched Eastenders in my life so don't know what that is all about, but I know they are available on the black market, I was offered one by someone once before I had my licence and declined!And yes, I have heard of news stories where people drive in a car, get out, stab someone and drive away, and no it doesn't sound cool.

I think it's fair to say if this particular licenced gun owner didn't have access to guns then he may well have killed less people. Now that's not a certainty, but I'd go out on a limb and say it's likely.

Like I've said - you can't control people flipping out, but you can control the tools they have at their disposal.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;8772959

I don't take city boy as much of an insult as you seem to think. I'm fine … I don't take city boy as much of an insult as you seem to think. I'm fine with guns be used as tools, but I think that is all.I'm still at a loss as to why a 52 year old taxi driver needed a gun:?

its not supposed to be an insult its a plain fact....you are ignorant to how people live in the country

its not a disadvantage either way but its certainly different lifestyles..........

guns sports.........there are a number on google if it helps

Banned

casparwhite;8772963

you said people are stopped from driving after they have … you said people are stopped from driving after they have offended..,..,..that was the daft comparisonwe are talking about preventing it by banning guns........my comparison was should we ban cars

oh i see, yes it was daft for me to say that, as it is after the case, but as i said cars on the whole are not used to deliberately murder or maim someone or something, can the same be said for weapons? And yes if someone wants to get a gun they will find a way, same as anything else, so should we not have any laws

Banned

sassie;8772984

oh i see, yes it was daft for me to say that, as it is after the case, … oh i see, yes it was daft for me to say that, as it is after the case, but as i said cars on the whole are not used to deliberately murder or maim someone or something, can the same be said for weapons? And yes if someone wants to get a gun they will find a way, same as anything else, so should we not have any laws

you are confused.

and i really cant be bothered explaining it to you any further:)

Banned

casparwhite;8772981

its not supposed to be an insult its a plain fact....you are ignorant to … its not supposed to be an insult its a plain fact....you are ignorant to how people live in the countryits not a disadvantage either way but its certainly different lifestyles..........guns sports.........there are a number on google if it helps

No, I understand that we have a history of guns being used for sports. I just think that there's an inevitable trade-off between this sport continuing and someone with access to these weapons killing people.

It just falls on the individual person to say whether they think gun sports are worth a person's life or not.

Me, as a city boy, think a person's life is worth more than gun sports. I wouldn't judge anyone for thinking differently.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do these 2 men have in common913
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764211
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846169
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31137

See more discussions