Expired

Should we see a return to reliant robins being used for mobility

Found 26th Oct 2017
Rather than SUVs, BMWs or basically pick any car you want should mobility cars all be Blue Reliant Robins?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Here we go again. The green eyed monsters strike yet again.

Educate yourself on the motability scheme before running your mouth off again. It’s paid for by the disability claimant’s benefit. Motability is a charity. They buy newer cars because it offers a return when they are sold on 3 years later that gets put back into the charity. The scheme is no different to a disabled person leasing a car except that they have the insurance and breakdown included in the scheme.

motability.co.uk/

There. Actually search through the cars and look at the downpayments for the “SUVs, BMWs” etc. You might actually see how ridiculous your ill informed opinion actually is.

I very much doubt that they would pass modern car safety regs and no it wouldn't be a good idea for Mobility recipients. Unless you want to punish the disabled for some odd reason.

I don't like many things that my taxes are paying for, but I do not begrudge the disabled a decent set of reliable wheels if they so need.

hubcms14 m ago

I take on board in part your statement, however with regards to safety …I take on board in part your statement, however with regards to safety this is an area constantly improving but the government dont give me a subsidy so I can have the safest car going every three years. In fact they were very happy for me to transport my family in a 16 year old Discovery!

The government is subsidising the railways and energy companies making billions a year. How about we deal with that rather than attacking the disabled because they might have a newer car than you.

I’d like to know how you know a car is a Motability car by the way. There is absolutely no badge on them that says it is one. That blue badge you see in a car window is a completely different scheme altogether. It’s ran by councils.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 26th Oct 2017

hooray.henry48 m ago

So 665000 motability customers multiplied by your £9000 over 3 years costs …So 665000 motability customers multiplied by your £9000 over 3 years costs the UK worker ?Ready for this.£5,985,000,000 £6 Billion pounds !So when we hear theres no money to help those with mental issues,old people dying on piss stained trolleys in hospital corridors etc etc we can feel all fuzzy inside knowing that our next door neighbour doesnt have to make do with some crappy brand new Astra but instead can have a nice new £20 k Nissan every 3 years or maybe a nice 30K Volvo estate instead.

Newsflash. Disabled people work. The scheme isn’t just for people without jobs. Go read the website.

How much are workers paying for the likes of child benefit? Is it every worker’s responsibility to pay for people to have children? (Yes it is as that is the benefit system and most of us aren’t selfish and want to crap on others because we don’t have what others have)

As I said before, the car has to be suitable for their needs. If you want to discriminate the disabled based on their conditions then that says more about you than it does about those getting these cars.

You don’t even know that everyone is having expensive cars either. You can’t tell. You just see a new BMW on the road and get jealous that you don’t own it along with the others criticising the charity.

Also, seeing as you haven’t bothered to do the research yet again, here. motability.co.uk/car…nd=

Astra. Full allowance. STILL £9000 that the disabled person will still get as it’s their DLA money.
74 Comments

Why?

never seen a blue reliant robin mobilty vehicle

maybe you mean invacars ???

I very much doubt that they would pass modern car safety regs and no it wouldn't be a good idea for Mobility recipients. Unless you want to punish the disabled for some odd reason.

I don't like many things that my taxes are paying for, but I do not begrudge the disabled a decent set of reliable wheels if they so need.

No as they were a deathtrap. However i completely agree with your sentiment. What i think should happen(a)they have a base model an (b) have to keep it 10 years (c) have to pay for a percentage of the running cost.
This isn't to say I don't want to help the disabled people being able to get about, however from my experience it is open to abuse, and then just looks like a smack in the teeth to everyone else who has to scrimp and save just to run around in a scrappage scheme candidate.

32317424-yUqRp.jpg

The motability scheme also helps ensure a healthy supply of 3 year old cars for the used market, that dealers can sell on and know they have been serviced and looked after etc. The old cars don't meet safety needs and have zero resale value.

And people having higher value cars eg BMW's etc are usually paying on top of the Motab allowance so I don't see an issue with that, or they are not using the scheme and taking g full ownership privately putting the money towards it , again that's better for the economy as they are contributing more to the running g and servicing costs
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 26th Oct 2017

32317495-tAXOI.jpgThis isn't a Reliant Robin

Banned

Sold for £6500

32317559-z8ySf.jpg

Here we go again. The green eyed monsters strike yet again.

Educate yourself on the motability scheme before running your mouth off again. It’s paid for by the disability claimant’s benefit. Motability is a charity. They buy newer cars because it offers a return when they are sold on 3 years later that gets put back into the charity. The scheme is no different to a disabled person leasing a car except that they have the insurance and breakdown included in the scheme.

motability.co.uk/

There. Actually search through the cars and look at the downpayments for the “SUVs, BMWs” etc. You might actually see how ridiculous your ill informed opinion actually is.

mrwhitelabel19 m ago

The motability scheme also helps ensure a healthy supply of 3 year old …The motability scheme also helps ensure a healthy supply of 3 year old cars for the used market, that dealers can sell on and know they have been serviced and looked after etc. The old cars don't meet safety needs and have zero resale value.And people having higher value cars eg BMW's etc are usually paying on top of the Motab allowance so I don't see an issue with that, or they are not using the scheme and taking g full ownership privately putting the money towards it , again that's better for the economy as they are contributing more to the running g and servicing costs

I take on board in part your statement, however with regards to safety this is an area constantly improving but the government dont give me a subsidy so I can have the safest car going every three years. In fact they were very happy for me to transport my family in a 16 year old Discovery!

32317683-EiUsu.jpg

32317683-5ms3n.jpg

hubcms14 m ago

I take on board in part your statement, however with regards to safety …I take on board in part your statement, however with regards to safety this is an area constantly improving but the government dont give me a subsidy so I can have the safest car going every three years. In fact they were very happy for me to transport my family in a 16 year old Discovery!

The government is subsidising the railways and energy companies making billions a year. How about we deal with that rather than attacking the disabled because they might have a newer car than you.

I’d like to know how you know a car is a Motability car by the way. There is absolutely no badge on them that says it is one. That blue badge you see in a car window is a completely different scheme altogether. It’s ran by councils.

So shocked to see DaveWave want to punish the disabled. Never would have guessed that!

Ignorance is bliss they say - massive numbers of people seem to be living in bliss.

Unfortanately bliss seems to have made them resentful and angry.

I assume they all take advantage of the system with free education and health care.

Why they want to deprive people that need it the same support they gladly take I will never know

No, but it would be great if reliant could start making cars again, the last version they built was a half decent looking car.

32317937-CWQFP.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 26th Oct 2017

I cant see why those genuine claimants cant just drive a stock Astra or similar instead of 20K plus cars they drive right now.

Considering the country is skint and we are always being told we need to cut this and cut that .

And another thing why is ok for those on a mobility scooters to race around at upto 8mph in shops and on pavements knocking pensioners over or bumping into pedestrians young and old?

hooray.henry13 h, 56 m ago

I cant see why those genuine claimants cant just drive a stock Astra or …I cant see why those genuine claimants cant just drive a stock Astra or similar instead of 20K plus cars they drive right now.Considering the country is skint and we are always being told we need to cut this and cut that .And another thing why is ok for those on a mobility scooters to race around at upto 8mph in shops and on pavements knocking pensioners over or bumping into pedestrians young and old?

The money comes out of their disability payments. They’re paying for that car on a leasing scheme. The country being skint has no bearing on what car the disabled choose. They will get that money whether they have a Fiesta or a BMW.

Some choose their cars based on how comfortable and accessible they are, based on their disability. It’s not all about “I like that car it’s fancy”.

The disabled have already suffered from cuts, yet here we are with people trying to take more away. Motability buy the cars. Not the government. Not your taxes. The taxes pay their benefits. They use that money (about £9000 total over three years if the car requires full allowance) to pay for their car. This is all on their website. motability.org.uk/abo…ity
Edited by: "Biddy2" 27th Oct 2017

So 665000 motability customers multiplied by your £9000 over 3 years costs the UK worker ?
Ready for this.

£5,985,000,000 £6 Billion pounds !

So when we hear theres no money to help those with mental issues,old people dying on **** stained trolleys in hospital corridors etc etc we can feel all fuzzy inside knowing that our next door neighbour doesnt have to make do with some crappy brand new Astra but instead can have a nice new £20 k Nissan every 3 years or maybe a nice 30K Volvo estate instead.

Edited by moderator: "****" 26th Oct 2017

I'd love for some of those giving negative comments regarding mobility scheme and disability allowance to spend a week as an actual disabled person and see how the disability affects everyday living.

Just to reiterate the points already made

Fact - to get disability living allowance requires medical proof of a disability and is checked by the relevant medical professional
Fact - there are some scummy people who falsely claim this
Fact - the allowance, when awarded, is to help that disabled person with additional costs incurred from having that disability
Fact - they have a choice on how to spend that allowance - there are no restrictions unlike Job Seekers Allowance which is paid to help the person find employment not their fags, cider, cannabis or other.
Fact - the mobility car scheme is charity funded it allows the individual to HP a car for 3 years but in most cases there will be a requirement for the claimant to use their own savings for cover the price of "non basic cars"
Fact - those on the scheme have to ensure the car is returned in good condition - the term "fair wear and tear" is tightly controlled and can incur financial loss if the car is returned in an unsatisfactory condition and the claimant can be refused further use of the scheme.

So go on - spend a whole week living as a blind person or a brain damaged person or as a paraplegic and see how your life is affected. Or even just as a person with MS or similar whereby one eye has peripheral vision and the other has nystagmus and you walk with a limb but unbalanced (you'll need a walking stick or two to just give you that extra bit of security or the arm of someone) whilst having to wear a catheter because your bladder no longer functions as normal and that's on a good day - on a bad day you can't move for the deployed taser like sensations causing uncontrolled spasms through your body which is not effected by pain killers and that's just for starters.

Biddy225 m ago

The money comes out of their disability payments. They’re paying for that c …The money comes out of their disability payments. They’re paying for that car on a leasing scheme. The country being skint has no bearing on what car the disabled choose. They will get that money whether they have a Fiesta or a BMW. Some choose their cars based on how they comfortable and accessible they are, based on their disability. It’s not all about “I like that car it’s fancy”. The disabled have already suffered from cuts, yet here we are with people trying to take more away. Motability buy the cars. Not the government. Not your taxes. The taxes pay their benefits. They use that money (about £9000 total over three years if the car requires full allowance) to pay for their car. This is all on their website. https://www.motability.org.uk/about-charity/?ssSourceSiteId=motability

Also lets not forget those that can't drive that are in wheelchairs that need wheelchair converted cars. This includes children and the mentally disabled that rely on others and carers to give them freedom and access to the health care and appointments.

hooray.henry48 m ago

So 665000 motability customers multiplied by your £9000 over 3 years costs …So 665000 motability customers multiplied by your £9000 over 3 years costs the UK worker ?Ready for this.£5,985,000,000 £6 Billion pounds !So when we hear theres no money to help those with mental issues,old people dying on piss stained trolleys in hospital corridors etc etc we can feel all fuzzy inside knowing that our next door neighbour doesnt have to make do with some crappy brand new Astra but instead can have a nice new £20 k Nissan every 3 years or maybe a nice 30K Volvo estate instead.

Newsflash. Disabled people work. The scheme isn’t just for people without jobs. Go read the website.

How much are workers paying for the likes of child benefit? Is it every worker’s responsibility to pay for people to have children? (Yes it is as that is the benefit system and most of us aren’t selfish and want to crap on others because we don’t have what others have)

As I said before, the car has to be suitable for their needs. If you want to discriminate the disabled based on their conditions then that says more about you than it does about those getting these cars.

You don’t even know that everyone is having expensive cars either. You can’t tell. You just see a new BMW on the road and get jealous that you don’t own it along with the others criticising the charity.

Also, seeing as you haven’t bothered to do the research yet again, here. motability.co.uk/car…nd=

Astra. Full allowance. STILL £9000 that the disabled person will still get as it’s their DLA money.

joanddan75 m ago

Also lets not forget those that can't drive that are in wheelchairs that …Also lets not forget those that can't drive that are in wheelchairs that need wheelchair converted cars. This includes children and the mentally disabled that rely on others and carers to give them freedom and access to the health care and appointments.

My last mobility scheme vehicle was a Fiat Doblo wheelchair access vehicle - a godsend although the body panels were so thin and the yobs on the estate decided they wanted the £70 non standard stereo head to help fund their drug habit.

Just to clarify I'm not against helping disabled people, as my son has High Functioning Autism. So please don't think I want to attack disabled people. I'm just trying to be realistic with regards to the system abuse, and an attitude of the state must always provide.

I am not silly enough to think that all blue badge holders have cars under the mobility scheme, due to grand parents and parents having them but owning their own cars.

I personally know of one case where the person justifies having a Ford Galaxy due to its seating position. The person is in there mid fifties and single. Oh sorry forgot to mention they cannot use it for three months a year due to going to live in Australia with relatives!

On an altogether different note Robin Reliant supplied the Ford RS2000 bodyshell. Now if they made them available that would be cool!

philphil615 m ago

My last mobility scheme vehicle was a Fiat Doblo wheelchair access vehicle …My last mobility scheme vehicle was a Fiat Doblo wheelchair access vehicle - a godsend although the body panels were so thin and the yobs on the estate decided they wanted the £70 non standard stereo head to help fund their drug habit.

i liked that comment but not in a "like" kinda way.

the same yobs no doubt voted leave and hold Trump up as a legend.

I am not a fan of the mobility system - but for all the right reasons. I think it's too expensive and long term doesn't solve the issues.

although I do think for many the fact maintaining and converting is dealt with is a godsend.

Id like the wheelchair ones to be more sympathetically designed too.... but I'm an idealist and humanitarian and both those things are out of fashion

hubcms5 m ago

Just to clarify I'm not against helping disabled people, as my son has …Just to clarify I'm not against helping disabled people, as my son has High Functioning Autism. So please don't think I want to attack disabled people. I'm just trying to be realistic with regards to the system abuse, and an attitude of the state must always provide.I am not silly enough to think that all blue badge holders have cars under the mobility scheme, due to grand parents and parents having them but owning their own cars.I personally know of one case where the person justifies having a Ford Galaxy due to its seating position. The person is in there mid fifties and single. Oh sorry forgot to mention they cannot use it for three months a year due to going to live in Australia with relatives!On an altogether different note Robin Reliant supplied the Ford RS2000 bodyshell. Now if they made them available that would be cool!

Your example isn’t abuse of the system at all. They’re paying for that car with money they will get regardless of the scheme. Disabled people can go on planes. Some disabilities aren’t obvious too.

Abuse of the system will be very small. When caught, the claimant will lose their right to the vehicle and the scheme in future.

joanddan713 m ago

i liked that comment but not in a "like" kinda way.the same yobs no doubt …i liked that comment but not in a "like" kinda way.the same yobs no doubt voted leave and hold Trump up as a legend.I am not a fan of the mobility system - but for all the right reasons. I think it's too expensive and long term doesn't solve the issues.although I do think for many the fact maintaining and converting is dealt with is a godsend. Id like the wheelchair ones to be more sympathetically designed too.... but I'm an idealist and humanitarian and both those things are out of fashion

Not going to agree with little bit on leave voters/Trump supporters - I think you are way off topic

The benefit to having a mobility scheme vehicle is down to individual needs.

For workability the Doblo did the job but for design, comfort, security it failed.

I can see both sides to this argument.
Yes the DLA is being paid out regardless. The recipient then has the option to surrender the payment and get a car instead. The manufacturers then decide what cars they can provide with that money, with or without a deposit.
These cars then end up fully serviced for 3 years and out in the market for any of us to buy.
However and I won’t try and pick any disabilities for fear of misrepresenting them. There are certainly situations where people could make do with lesser and just as practical cars for their needs. At the same time other recipients may need more space, adaptability optioned, etc.
What could be done is grade the cars. Rather than manufacturers pick a model they are willing to take £9k for. Let the people pick cars that have lesser costs. Those costs can either be retained by the recipient towards other costs. Alternatively DLA could be changed to offer a sliding scale that is paid based on requirements. Then if a person opts for a car they can still get one that meets their disability requirements.
That last option would help save money, prevent the green eyed monster and also not remove actual mobility.

I think some of the problem is. On here we see many good lease deals. That for many mobility drivers offer far better value. Even if you choose fully maintained options. Just highlighting manufacturers manipulate the system to their own benefit.

I think you may have misunderstood the scheme, when it says they are cars for disabled people these are card to help those people who are already disabled, the idea of the scheme isn't to give cars that could lead to more disabled people from cars which easily flip over.
People who do have issues with mobility will often require cars with a specific height or type of seat for support of physically impaired body parts, for example I have family members who can't use many conventional vehicles due to the lower seats/floors or roofs of the cars and usually need to take a minibus style taxi to various medical or physio appointments

Oneday771 h, 13 m ago

I can see both sides to this argument. Yes the DLA is being paid out …I can see both sides to this argument. Yes the DLA is being paid out regardless. The recipient then has the option to surrender the payment and get a car instead. The manufacturers then decide what cars they can provide with that money, with or without a deposit. These cars then end up fully serviced for 3 years and out in the market for any of us to buy. However and I won’t try and pick any disabilities for fear of misrepresenting them. There are certainly situations where people could make do with lesser and just as practical cars for their needs. At the same time other recipients may need more space, adaptability optioned, etc. What could be done is grade the cars. Rather than manufacturers pick a model they are willing to take £9k for. Let the people pick cars that have lesser costs. Those costs can either be retained by the recipient towards other costs. Alternatively DLA could be changed to offer a sliding scale that is paid based on requirements. Then if a person opts for a car they can still get one that meets their disability requirements. That last option would help save money, prevent the green eyed monster and also not remove actual mobility. I think some of the problem is. On here we see many good lease deals. That for many mobility drivers offer far better value. Even if you choose fully maintained options. Just highlighting manufacturers manipulate the system to their own benefit.

DLA already is on a sliding scale. There used to be three tiers but the government did away with the lowest tier with the benefit reforms. You can only get a motability vehicle if you are receiving the higher rate payment.

The manufacturers don’t pick the models. It’s entirely down to Motability to make agreements with the manufacturers and they are also worked upon how much resale value they can get in 3 years time. People can pick lesser cars, like a Peugeot 108 for example, and only pay around £48 (out of £58 they normally get) per week for it out of their DLA. Those vehicles aren’t for the claimant usually and are for their carers who will use the car to do the shopping for them and to take the claimant to hospital appointments etc, because they might not be able to afford a car to otherwise do so. Those carers usually only recieve a maximum of £62.70 a week in Carer’s Allowance despite saving the NHS billions in caring costs. They do it because they care about their sick relatives. If they earn £116 or more per week, they get nothing. For all these people know, that person who looks alright to them, is a carer.

Instead, people jump to the idea that the system is abused for relatives. Sure, there may be a small minority out there that do, but it isn’t so widespread that we need to come down on the disabled even more than they already have been. 50,000 people have already lost their cars this year through the PIP changes (formally DLA). There are systems in place to deal with all this already that work.

No but I believe that a mobility charity should choose the car for a person and it meets the exact needs and only those needs. I would have said the government, but we all know what it’s like (especially for those who have DLA/PIP benefits).

Sometimes it is unfortunately expensive cars, but no money can replace feeling independent and mobile.

Dolphinzz29 m ago

No but I believe that a mobility charity should choose the car for a …No but I believe that a mobility charity should choose the car for a person and it meets the exact needs and only those needs. I would have said the government, but we all know what it’s like (especially for those who have DLA/PIP benefits).Sometimes it is unfortunately expensive cars, but no money can replace feeling independent and mobile.

They can’t choose it because every person is different. Two people may suffer from MS for example, but may suffer in different ways. It’s not black and white.

Those who have the expensive cars are either working, have a partner who works full time who can afford it or are probably just more well off in other ways. Not everyone can actually have them.

Look at this for example. Your average disabled person can’t afford over £11,000 every 3 years (Plus their PIP/DLA) for this. motability.co.uk/car…w=9

This is because PIP (DLA) isn’t means tested. It can be claimed by anyone who is disabled regardless of their income.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 27th Oct 2017

Biddy26 m ago

They can’t choose it because every person is different. Two people may s …They can’t choose it because every person is different. Two people may suffer from MS for example, but may suffer in different ways. It’s not as black and white as you make it seem.Those who have the expensive cars are either working, have a partner who works full time who can afford it or are probably just more well off in other ways. Not everyone can actually have them.Look at this for example. Do you honestly think your average disabled person can afford over £11,000 every 3 years (Plus their PIP/DLA) for this? https://www.motability.co.uk/cars-scooters-and-powerchairs/search/mercedes-benz-vito-tourer-select-119-724104?searchPageFilters=%26amp%3bResultsView%3dgrid%26amp%3bPageNumber%3d1%26amp%3bResultsPerPage%3d9%26amp%3bSortBy%3dadvpayHigh%26amp%3bweb_transmission%3dSemi-Automatic%2cAutomatic%26amp%3bweb_car_type%3dMedium%20cars%2cFamily%20cars%2cEstates%2cMPVs%2cSUVs%2f4x4s%26amp%3ballowance_type%3ddla%26amp%3b1_wr_totalallowance%3dTrue%26amp%3b1_wr_lessthanallowance%3dTrue%26amp%3bsubType%3d1%26&allowance_type=DLA&StartRow=1&EndRow=9This is because PIP (DLA) isn’t means tested. It can be claimed by anyone who is disabled regardless of their income.

This is what I was trying to say, but I guess it didn’t come out right. Everyone is different. There are a spectrum of disorders and even two people with the same condition won’t be the same.

I have a genetic condition which is different among all the people with it in our family, which I understand isn’t a very good comparison but I’m just trying to prove that I understand people are different.

DLA or PIP are not means tested.

The scheme is offered only to those on the higher rate for mobility on DLA or the equivalent required points on it’s replacement , PIP.

It includes the car, road tax and insurance. You can use part or all of your motobility component to finance the car. If you want to top up with an up front payment, it’s possible to upgrade your vehicle.

The insurance, tax and insurance are all taken into consideration on pricing.

That’s it.

Some people here here come across to my mind as if a disabled person shouldn’t quite have the same choices as a more able bodied person.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 27th Oct 2017

Dolphinzz11 m ago

This is what I was trying to say, but I guess it didn’t come out right. E …This is what I was trying to say, but I guess it didn’t come out right. Everyone is different. There are a spectrum of disorders and even two people with the same condition won’t be the same.I have a genetic condition which is different among all the people with it in our family, which I understand isn’t a very good comparison but I’m just trying to prove that I understand people are different.

I understand what you mean now. I agree. Only the person suffering the disability can decide the vehicle they need and Motability cater to that by offering a wide variety of vehicles.

Hey OP i'll trade you my disability and my motability car for your perfectly working legs.

Banned

Retro895 m ago

Hey OP i'll trade you my disability and my motability car for your …Hey OP i'll trade you my disability and my motability car for your perfectly working legs.

I bet you dont get any takers

hooray.henry8 h, 5 m ago

I cant see why those genuine claimants cant just drive a stock Astra or …I cant see why those genuine claimants cant just drive a stock Astra or similar instead of 20K plus cars they drive right now.Considering the country is skint and we are always being told we need to cut this and cut that .And another thing why is ok for those on a mobility scooters to race around at upto 8mph in shops and on pavements knocking pensioners over or bumping into pedestrians young and old?

Here lies your ignorance, so a person with Autism who needs space from people and objects should be in the back of an Astra?Please think before you make stupid comments. Oh the country is skint but soon finds money to fund wars?

hooray.henry15 h, 4 m ago

hooray.henry15 h, 4 m ago

A base model astra could be a great default car, IF all disabilities were the same but they aint.

DKLS25 m ago

A base model astra could be a great default car, IF all disabilities were …A base model astra could be a great default car, IF all disabilities were the same but they aint.

More to the point why can’t a disabled person have a more luxurious car if they’re prepared to pay for it

OllieSt9 m ago

More to the point why can’t a disabled person have a more luxurious car if …More to the point why can’t a disabled person have a more luxurious car if they’re prepared to pay for it

Apparently some people don't like that disabled people are more successful than them.

CoeK10 m ago

Apparently some people don't like that disabled people are more successful …Apparently some people don't like that disabled people are more successful than them.

Statistically a disabled person will find it much harder to earn a decent living than a more able bodied person. Any that are able to substantiate any extra costs for an upgraded car should be applauded not vilified. It's a British disease
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions