Should wet wipes and items like "disposable" nappies be banned?

Found 10th May
Should wet wipes and other non essential products such as so called "disposable" nappies be banned because of the harm they are doing to the environment?

Imho its a no brainer. The answer is obviously yes.
Community Updates
MiscBaby & KidsBabyWipes
Top comments
Having more than 2 kids should be banned.
That would fix many future issues.
Yes. Isn't landfill something like 10% nappies? At the very least, put vat on them and put the income towards making tampons vat-exempt!
Edited by: "chocci" 10th May
33777163-0Z3gK.jpg
In terms of disposable wipes and nappies, we need a biodegrade version that say breaks down over 10 years or something. Something that isn’t going to harm the environment.
68 Comments
No.
33777036-rkhk1.jpg

That would be a yes from me then
What you mean that Mums would have to wash and iron terry nappies , instead of just polluting our landfills for ever with tons of "non disposable " nappies ?

Can't see it happening myself - how many of todays mums could work a Nappy pin ?
Yes. Isn't landfill something like 10% nappies? At the very least, put vat on them and put the income towards making tampons vat-exempt!
Edited by: "chocci" 10th May
Having more than 2 kids should be banned.
That would fix many future issues.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell8 m ago

Having more than 2 kids should be banned.That would fix many future issues.

+1 in spades.
Tesco: Nope, there is no coporate management will nor excutive instruction to be responsible;
Sainsburys: Nope, there is not a Respect for our Environment FAQ , good try.]

.. ad infinitum.
splender3 m ago

Tesco: Nope, there is no coporate management will nor excutive instruction …Tesco: Nope, there is no coporate management will nor excutive instruction to be responsible; Sainsburys: Nope, there is not a Respect for our Environment FAQ , good try.].. ad infinitum.

Tru dat suspenders much mifed with sainsbobs.
33777163-0Z3gK.jpg
Is this a political discussion? If so, I am out!

Just tried Sainsburys on their web site to get some advice about Respect for our Our Environment (or anything for that matter, just enter any name in that box ) "Ask a question" e.g. on nappies:-

help company-values respect-environment(click me)

33777271-3SXbP.jpg
I think they don't want to know in practice by the very way that web page is designed.
Edited by: "splender" 10th May
tpol6 m ago

Is this a political discussion? If so, I am out!

It is not about politics, it is about good, well digested food.
A previous neighbour of mine flushed her wet wipes down her toilet and caused a blockage in the drain under the house I was living in at the time which resulted in my back yard overflowing with rotting ****, so my vote is to ban them, indefinitely.

Edited by: "RossD89" 10th May
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell57 m ago

Except that it wouldn't.
Edited by: "Spango" 10th May
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 h, 2 m ago

How many brothers and sisters do you have
i dont think they should be banned as a woman i use them for my make up etc
RossD891 h, 10 m ago

A previous neighbour of mine flushed her wet wipes down her toilet and …A previous neighbour of mine flushed her wet wipes down her toilet and caused a blockage in the drain under the house I was living in at the time which resulted in my back yard overflowing with rotting ****, so my vote is to ban them, indefinitely.

Can we ban stupid people instead?

In the absence of wipes I’m pretty sure they’ll come up with equally idiotic things to flush down the toilet.
I do not have time to wash and dry nappies! Some of us work full time and are not stupid enough to throw wet wipes in the toilet. Yes I do worry about the fact so many nappies are polluting the planet but banning them is drastic! First plastic straws, now nappies...what next?
Hmmm, i wonder if they will ban condoms to be "environmentally friendly"

If so, i Imagine there will be a lot more kids running around.
melomanias15 m ago

Can we ban stupid people instead? In the absence of wipes I’m pretty s …Can we ban stupid people instead? In the absence of wipes I’m pretty sure they’ll come up with equally idiotic things to flush down the toilet.

They tried to, they all ended up here.
nraja14 m ago

I do not have time to wash and dry nappies! Some of us work full time and …I do not have time to wash and dry nappies! Some of us work full time and are not stupid enough to throw wet wipes in the toilet. Yes I do worry about the fact so many nappies are polluting the planet but banning them is drastic! First plastic straws, now nappies...what next?

In 6 years of using wet wipes with my kids.
I have never once thought to throw them down the loo.
What about my Hint of Jasmine oil Andrex bum wipes ?
In terms of disposable wipes and nappies, we need a biodegrade version that say breaks down over 10 years or something. Something that isn’t going to harm the environment.
Oneday7718 m ago

In 6 years of using wet wipes with my kids. I have never once thought to …In 6 years of using wet wipes with my kids. I have never once thought to throw them down the loo.

That’s good that your not polluting the sewage system but they still go to landfill.
nraja37 m ago

I do not have time to wash and dry nappies! Some of us work full time and …I do not have time to wash and dry nappies! Some of us work full time and are not stupid enough to throw wet wipes in the toilet. Yes I do worry about the fact so many nappies are polluting the planet but banning them is drastic! First plastic straws, now nappies...what next?

It will probably be sanitary towels and tampons next. I don't see how there is much distinction from an environmental perspective. It's a shame that it's a necessity for both parents to work in today's world to just make ends meat.
@Oneday77 I don’t know why people do it! Even when I have dropped one in the loo by mistake I have fished it out! We should think about other things like excess packaging and bottled water rather than pick on parents and babies who NEED nappies. It’s an essential item! No need for make up wipes!
john1846 m ago

It will probably be sanitary towels and tampons next. I don't see how …It will probably be sanitary towels and tampons next. I don't see how there is much distinction from an environmental perspective. It's a shame that it's a necessity for both parents to work in today's world to just make ends meat.

Back to third world ways! I just don’t like washing unsanitary items in the washing machine! Clothes yes, but blood and poo covered things?! NO! I really hope someone doesn’t suggest that I rinse them in the sink first *facepalm*
nraja7 m ago

@Oneday77 I don’t know why people do it! Even when I have dropped one in t …@Oneday77 I don’t know why people do it! Even when I have dropped one in the loo by mistake I have fished it out! We should think about other things like excess packaging and bottled water rather than pick on parents and babies who NEED nappies. It’s an essential item! No need for make up wipes!

A Nappy may be an essential item , but a "disposable " nappy is most certainly not essential . Buy one Nappy Bucket , a dozen terry nappies - job sorted (pardon the pun ) . How much time does a nappy wash every 2 or 3 days take out of your schedule ? Save money , save the planet - for the sake of what ? 20mins per week ?
cmdr_elito21 m ago

That’s good that your not polluting the sewage system but they still go to …That’s good that your not polluting the sewage system but they still go to landfill.

I will plead ignorance. Until recently I hadn't given thought as to what they were made of.
I've seen pretty strong kitchen roll, even when wet. Never considered plastic was involved.
Oneday776 m ago

I will plead ignorance. Until recently I hadn't given thought as to what …I will plead ignorance. Until recently I hadn't given thought as to what they were made of.I've seen pretty strong kitchen roll, even when wet. Never considered plastic was involved.

Apparently even teabags have plastic in them , which is why you can't compost them .

My heart goes out to poor teabags destined to spend thousands of years stuck in a giant hole in what used to be rural England squashed next to tons of disposable nappies
rogparki2 h, 18 m ago

A Nappy may be an essential item , but a "disposable " nappy is most …A Nappy may be an essential item , but a "disposable " nappy is most certainly not essential . Buy one Nappy Bucket , a dozen terry nappies - job sorted (pardon the pun ) . How much time does a nappy wash every 2 or 3 days take out of your schedule ? Save money , save the planet - for the sake of what ? 20mins per week ?

Did you done it yourself?
nraja4 h, 2 m ago

Back to third world ways! I just don’t like washing unsanitary items in t …Back to third world ways! I just don’t like washing unsanitary items in the washing machine! Clothes yes, but blood and poo covered things?! NO! I really hope someone doesn’t suggest that I rinse them in the sink first *facepalm*

Isn't that what a washing machine is for?
nraja4 h, 6 m ago

@Oneday77 I don’t know why people do it! Even when I have dropped one in t …@Oneday77 I don’t know why people do it! Even when I have dropped one in the loo by mistake I have fished it out! We should think about other things like excess packaging and bottled water rather than pick on parents and babies who NEED nappies. It’s an essential item! No need for make up wipes!

People throw sanitary towels down the toilets...

Try washing old blood off stuff... It doesn't come off at all in a washing machine.

I have bedding with stains that haven't come off with pre-treating either. I can't imagine washing a soaked sanitary towel with blood that had time to dry up.

There are people who use washable nappies... None that use washable sanitary towels. Reason is above. There are cups you can insert down there that can replace sanitary towels, which are reusable and washable.
Edited by: "hearts22" 11th May
hearts221 h, 12 m ago

There are cups you can insert down there that can replace sanitary towels

deeky12 m ago

33778795-HLNKF.jpg
They are a thing. I'm old-fashioned so I don't use them
melomanias9 h, 32 m ago

Can we ban stupid people instead? In the absence of wipes I’m pretty s …Can we ban stupid people instead? In the absence of wipes I’m pretty sure they’ll come up with equally idiotic things to flush down the toilet.

Oneday779 h, 16 m ago

They tried to, they all ended up here.

Dat der did done proved it, dunnit?

rogparki8 h, 43 m ago

A Nappy may be an essential item , but a "disposable " nappy is most …A Nappy may be an essential item , but a "disposable " nappy is most certainly not essential . Buy one Nappy Bucket , a dozen terry nappies - job sorted (pardon the pun ) . How much time does a nappy wash every 2 or 3 days take out of your schedule ? Save money , save the planet - for the sake of what ? 20mins per week ?

S-3606 h, 24 m ago

Did you done it yourself?

cmdr_elito9 h, 4 m ago

In terms of disposable wipes and nappies, we need a biodegrade version …In terms of disposable wipes and nappies, we need a biodegrade version that say breaks down over 10 years or something. Something that isn’t going to harm the environment.

[ mumandyou.com/sho…tml ]

[ amazon.co.uk/s/?…pes ]
Plastics in our environment are a far greater problem than CO2. I dont think nappies / wipes etc should be banned but alternatives to the plastic composition should be found asap.
fanpages15 m ago

[ …[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/better-cheaper-moon-cup-12-hour-feminine-protection-menstrual-cup-only-790-amazon-816170 ][ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-soft-cups-for-ladies-boots-onliine-1470843 ][ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/femmecup.com ]etc.

Amazing.

Your powers of recall/search skills I mean, not the muff cups
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants