Groups

Should you still get child benefit for having more than 2 kids?

Something I watched on the TV this morning. It annoyed me a bit to start with, being a mother of 3, but when I think about it.....well kinda makes sense in some ways. They were referring to a couple who spent £3k to have IVF twins to make 10 kids but are also claiming Child Benefit. Some said it would make the poor families worse off....but if they didnt have kids they couldnt afford......hmm

what do you think, times are hard and cuts have to be made?

86 Comments

Banned

this is gonna end well - not

Banned

If you can't afford kids without scrounging of the state, then don't have them.

That's my philosophy.

A kind of modern natural selection! :thumbsup: :-D

Original Poster

sassie;8780310

this is gonna end well - not

thats what I thought when I heard them discussing it on TV this morning, although most people seemed to agree.....I am not so sure though:thinking: havent made up my mind on that one:?

Banned

tracyhay;8780336

thats what I thought when I heard them discussing it on TV this morning, … thats what I thought when I heard them discussing it on TV this morning, although most people seemed to agree.....I am not so sure though:thinking: havent made up my mind on that one:?

i meant the thread - lmfao

Original Poster

sassie;8780351

i meant the thread - lmfao

O I C:thumbsup:

Banned

tracyhay;8780356

O I C:thumbsup:

but it made me smile :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;8780364

but it made me smile :thumbsup:

aww well then not so bad eh:-D

Banned

tracyhay;8780372

aww well then not so bad eh:-D

and it woke johnny from a deep sleep, although i am not sure thats a good thing

Original Poster

sassie;8780391

and it woke johnny from a deep sleep, although i am not sure thats a good … and it woke johnny from a deep sleep, although i am not sure thats a good thing

lol I know he is out with his philosophy already:roll:

Banned

I hate scrougers who have kids to just get a house and benefit pay outs but not everyone with more than 2 kids on benefits would be like that. I think people in this situation should be given a resonable opportunity to get back into work such as provided childcare and a job offer. And if they refuse then the benefits should get taken away from them. Too many people on benefits say they would only earn slightly more working than on benefits so don't bother

JonnyTwoToes;8780333

If you can't afford kids without scrounging of the state, then don't have … If you can't afford kids without scrounging of the state, then don't have them.

What figure do you put on being able to 'afford kids'?

JonnyTwoToes;8780333

If you can't afford kids without scrounging of the state, then don't have … If you can't afford kids without scrounging of the state, then don't have them.That's my philosophy.

+1
    UNLESS your circumstances change dramatically, for instance if you had the capacity (financial, time etc) to look after your children but then something happened to change that... redundancy/illness etc. I feel no pity for people who don't even have enough money to look after themselves and then drag a child into the world and expect others to pay for it. It's a child, not an extra income.

Banned

I've always said 2 should be the limit. I know people with families fall on hard times but a lot of people just have kids cos they get bigger houses & more money for free!

Original Poster

sancho1983;8780413

thats a good point, are we talking private education and healthcare? or just the essentials like food/clothing

you should still be allowed to claim, we don't want to turn into how china has been do we o.O

Original Poster

csiman;8780428

I've always said 2 should be the limit. I know people with families fall … I've always said 2 should be the limit. I know people with families fall on hard times but a lot of people just have kids cos they get bigger houses & more money for free!

I dont agree with doing that, but shouldnt you have the choice of how many kids you have?

I personally came from a single parent family with 5 kids 4 dads none of which hung around, my mother always struggled for money, I could never understand why she had so many, we were all miserable

sancho1983;8780413

The ability to pay for things without the handouts/benefits. It isn't one universal figure, but relative to the individual.

David Attenborough did a small program on population - watched it on BBC iPlayer a month or so ago.. Was about how population is set to grow, how much it has grown and what impact it will cause on all of us. Cover areas like food production, how we currently produce as much as we need to feed the population we have.. It's just grossly uneven. Also how the policy in China has seen many positive affects

I think we need the 1 child policy like China - and quickly.

People look a the world and think "geez, it's huge..".. There is only so much of it that is good for agriculture and actually inhabitable.. I watched another program which had satellite photography of all land which is good for agricutlure, we already use all of it.. Sure, technology can help expand on that.. But when?

So forget restricting benefits, just put foward that policy.

Banned

tracyhay;8780431

thats a good point, are we talking private education and healthcare? or … thats a good point, are we talking private education and healthcare? or just the essentials like food/clothing

i think you will find we are only going on what johnny and his family havent claimed

My partner went to a job the other day where a single woman had NINE children. She didn't work, had a free house and got a ridiculous amount in child benefit. Next door were a hard working couple who had made the effort to pay for their own house and they had to live next to that scrounger!! It's just completely wrong!

tracyhay;8780431

thats a good point, are we talking private education and healthcare? or … thats a good point, are we talking private education and healthcare? or just the essentials like food/clothing

Yes to both, if the only way you could send them to private school is with the aid of benefits.

Likewise if you cannot afford food/clothes, how can you afford a child?

csiman;8780428

I've always said 2 should be the limit. I know people with families fall … I've always said 2 should be the limit. I know people with families fall on hard times but a lot of people just have kids cos they get bigger houses & more money for free!

Why do you think this? Because certain media outlets tell you that?

It's a very wild statement to make that the only reason people have more than 2 kids is to get money/house etc. No doubt there has been a handful of people who have done this, but a handful of people go on murderous rampages, it doesn't make it the norm

Original Poster

sassie;8780450

i think you will find we are only going on what johnny and his family … i think you will find we are only going on what johnny and his family havent claimed

lol:giggle: :whistling:

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;8780468

Inb4 single mother and benefit bashers and if you have more that 2 kids … Inb4 single mother and benefit bashers and if you have more that 2 kids you MUST be living off the state and asking for a huge council house, lollingtons.

On this site :w00t: I though we were all millionaires, and I guess that means me too:oops: with having 3 kids

spritey;8780449

David Attenborough did a small program on population - watched it on BBC … David Attenborough did a small program on population - watched it on BBC iPlayer a month or so ago.. Was about how population is set to grow, how much it has grown and what impact it will cause on all of us. Cover areas like food production, how we currently produce as much as we need to feed the population we have.. It's just grossly uneven. Also how the policy in China has seen many positive affectsI think we need the 1 child policy like China - and quickly.People look a the world and think "geez, it's huge..".. There is only so much of it that is good for agriculture and actually inhabitable.. I watched another program which had satellite photography of all land which is good for agricutlure, we already use all of it.. Sure, technology can help expand on that.. But when?So forget restricting benefits, just put foward that policy.

that's a very communist idea >.> and infringes every form of freedom we have

Plus our population is very different from that of chinas, if anything more children can be seen as a good thing
    as we have a rapidly ageing population, demographics show that it is possible at some point in the future for the amount of dependants, being people below and above working age, exceeding what the working population can viably support, so to think ahead would be to continue to have a consistent amount of children as we have now (and our population is relatively stable with minimal growth, less than 0.5% when i last checked)

Original Poster

sancho1983;8780463

Why do you think this? Because certain media outlets tell you that?It's a … Why do you think this? Because certain media outlets tell you that?It's a very wild statement to make that the only reason people have more than 2 kids is to get money/house etc. No doubt there has been a handful of people who have done this, but a handful of people go on murderous rampages, it doesn't make it the norm

good point.... if you look at anything hard enough you will find something wrong

Banned

spritey;8780449

David Attenborough did a small program on population - watched it on BBC … David Attenborough did a small program on population - watched it on BBC iPlayer a month or so ago.. Was about how population is set to grow, how much it has grown and what impact it will cause on all of us. Cover areas like food production, how we currently produce as much as we need to feed the population we have.. It's just grossly uneven. Also how the policy in China has seen many positive affectsI think we need the 1 child policy like China - and quickly.People look a the world and think "geez, it's huge..".. There is only so much of it that is good for agriculture and actually inhabitable.. I watched another program which had satellite photography of all land which is good for agricutlure, we already use all of it.. Sure, technology can help expand on that.. But when?So forget restricting benefits, just put foward that policy.

from the programme i watched this was not the case at all, ignoring the media hype on familes with 9 and 10 kids, we are heading towards having more dependant people than working ones

Banned

JonnyTwoToes;8780333

If you can't afford kids without scrounging of the state, then don't have … If you can't afford kids without scrounging of the state, then don't have them.

Indelicately put, but I do agree to a certain extent.

Personally, I'm not having kids until I'm relatively comfortable in terms of my workload, income and done things I want to do that having kids would nix.

I don't really understand people who have kids in their twenties.

I've no problem with people getting child benefit but i think it should be capped at benefits for two children.

I would get rid of child benefits all together, and probably most other benefits

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;8780540

Indelicately put, but I do agree to a certain extent. Personally, I'm not … Indelicately put, but I do agree to a certain extent. Personally, I'm not having kids until I'm relatively comfortable in terms of my workload, income and done things I want to do that having kids would nix.I don't really understand people who have kids in their twenties.

I did had my first when I was 23. Had some fun as a teen got my education, got a decent job, husband, then house, after 4 years together we decided to start a family

Original Poster

Goonieman;8780550

I've no problem with people getting child benefit but i think it should … I've no problem with people getting child benefit but i think it should be capped at benefits for two children.

Trauts78;8780553

I would get rid of child benefits all together, and probably most other … I would get rid of child benefits all together, and probably most other benefits

any particular reason or just wanting to make your statement?

coerce86;8780505

that's a very communist idea . and infringes every form of freedom we … that's a very communist idea >.> and infringes every form of freedom we havePlus our population is very different from that of chinas, if anything more children can be seen as a good thing as we have a rapidly ageing population, demographics show that it is possible at some point in the future for the amount of dependants, being people below and above working age, exceeding what the working population can viably support, so to think ahead would be to continue to have a consistent amount of children as we have now (and our population is relatively stable with minimal growth, less than 0.5% when i last checked)

Afraid not:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm
    The population is now growing by 0.7% a year, more than double the rate in the 1990s and three times the level of the 1980s.

The total number of people passed 61m for the first time, with changes in birth and death rates now a bigger cause of growth than immigration.

The 1 child policy is not communist ideal - it's common sense.

We can only support "x" amount of people on this planet, as we only have "x" amount of resources to do so. Every country in the European Union with a population increasing year on year above 0.3% should institute the 1 child policy, not only to control birth rates.. But to lessen the impact when those children reach 60/70 and live far into their 80/90s with modern medicine, you have to spot at the bottom to sort that issue out.

It's irresponsible to keep growing a population when severe water and food shortages are predicted fo 2013-2016, which will just cause the poorer countries to stay poor.

People talk about their right to have as many children as they wish, i don't see it as a right.. particularly when it infringes on others.. Because that extra child won't impact us as much as it will poorer nations, since it's those nations kept under the poverty line with inadequate resources which help keep us far far above it.

instead of handing out financial aid maybe we should be handing out responsibility

FilthAndFurry;8780540

Indelicately put, but I do agree to a certain extent. Personally, I'm not … Indelicately put, but I do agree to a certain extent. Personally, I'm not having kids until I'm relatively comfortable in terms of my workload, income and done things I want to do that having kids would nix.I don't really understand people who have kids in their twenties.

I had my kids in my twenties (27 and 29). We only decided to have them once we knew we could afford private health, education etc...

We are not eligible for any benefits whatsoever.

FilthAndFurry;8780540

My theory was i'll have more money when my daughter has left home than i do now. I'm 26 and my daughter is 11 months. I had a good few years of enjoying myself before i had her.

Everyone's different though i suppose

Banned

tracyhay;8780560

I did had my first when I was 23. Had some fun as a teen got my … I did had my first when I was 23. Had some fun as a teen got my education, got a decent job, husband, then house, after 4 years together we decided to start a family

So you met your husband when you were 19 and had a decent job and education by then?

See, I can't imagine not wanting to establish yourself in your profession, play the field and not have kids holding you back. It's a gap in my understanding.:oops:

tinkerbell28;8780596

Apart from cb as that is across the board.

Oh yeah forgot about that, goes into the kid's savings accounts.

I pay a small fortune in tax so it would be nice to get some kind of small tax relief. Won't hold my breath though.

You can't set a limit though, as sometimes you just don't know the circumstances. Yes, a person having three kids to get more benefits is wrong, but then does that mean the person who gets divorced or redundant doesn't get any support? You can't say that divorcees will still get it as their are many different reasons for divorce, some more valid than others.

One child per couple will half the population every 100 years or so. Just like saving the Panda and other nearly extinct animals, we also need to keep the threat of human extinction down.

tracyhay;8780574

any particular reason or just wanting to make your statement?

When having children you should have an understanding that there is going to be a financial commitment and so be in a position to afford children.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions