Show us your Photos 2020. February's Theme - Nature.

Posted 5th JanEdited by:"fern37"
This is the place to post your very own photos of hols, scenes, wildlife and all things of interest. Accompanying descriptions and information, plus general photography chat are very welcome (but NOT so keen on 'just chat').

All the new camera owners --- get your pics in here. Pics from phones, point and shoots, bridge cameras, and D/SLRs - post them here and tell us about them. There's hardly anything as good as seeing that one in a hundred pic on your screen and we love them all.

This is our 10th year of 'the photo thread' but we love to see pics by new people so please don't be shy. If your pic is pro quality then ...brilliant .... but if it's a phone pic of your much loved dog then that's brilliant as well.

Not sure about something? You might find the answer in posts #1 – 9.

In the latest layout, there is the great list of liked photos etc in the Top Comments section - to get to the info posts you need to scroll past the Top Comments to the All Comments section i.e. the thread!!! lol .....

INDEX:

#1 How to post a pic & How to upload photos to this thread

#2 Monthly competition info - there are RULES , but no prizes!

#3 Software for editing & resizing

#4 Useful photography sites

#5 Links to old threads and summaries

#6 Misc

#7 Misc 2

#8 monthly winners

#9 Spare

If, by any chance, you want constructive (ONLY constructive!) criticism and don't mind on what aspect of your photo it is based then type RIA (Rip it apart) next to it. If you are looking for specific feedback, then ask for that. If you want advice on how to do something then just ask!

PLEASE NOTE- the photos in this thread have been posted by the people who took them and they are very kindly sharing. Please ask if you have a specific reason for copying and don't 'use' them without permission.

Photo-contributors, if you don't want to risk your image being copied, then it's not a bad idea to post a low resolution photo, it won't look as good on screen as a high res. one but it will be pretty useless for commercial etc purposes.

The alternative, for lovely high res pics, is to watermark them in some way. Be careful though with watermarking, as we can't have business names or some-such that could be construed, in any way, as business names/self-promotion on HUKD. Anything doubtful in any way will be deleted. A watermark would generally be across the image, in order to render it useless to someone copying it.

Competition rules hotukdeals.com/com…649
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
39607238-RwdtC.jpg
First timer here. I’ll pop a couple up but leave time for others to get involved. Lovely idea for a thread.
This was taken at the start of December while on holiday in Lapland.
Finally got round to processing this today, it was shot last year. Saw it as a spec in the sky, approaching dusk. Realised it was swooping towards me, happened to have the right lens on the camera... probably a once in a lifetime snap.

39608246-lWfmq.jpg
Canon 100-400 L ii @400mm

Sparrowhawk btw
39600953-d05z1.jpg
Posting in one of these threads for the first time!
39661661-2iXhO.jpg
Oct Winner - Hacked
Edited by: "fern37" 12th Jan
306 Comments
1. I took over this thread from Chesso and I am trying to keep it a fun thread but the primary goal of the thread is to post photos, be you amateur or a professional and amaze us with your skills. Some posters ask for constructive criticism which is fine. We welcome everyone, every level and every style. We've all had to start from somewhere and those that are very good at their art, I have found to be encouraging in this thread to those who ask questions and want to take up photography. I hardly post photos as I don't have any confidence but having a new camera, I hope to start learning about it and participating more.

2. The monthly comp is a fun thing we do. It's always good natured and there are no prizes. The winner gets to pick the theme for the next month. I am going to use January as an example of how it it is run.
2nd-30th Jan - anyone can post photos on here and they can be liked by anyone and there is no restriction on likes. It can be to do with the theme or just a random pic or series of pics that you have taken and want to share.
31st Jan (last day of the month) - comp entry day. This day is set aside for posting your entry for the monthly competition. Please mark it as 'My Entry'. It needed to have been taken during the month of January and should be relevant to the theme. You could have posted it already through January or saved it for the comp. NO LIKES of these entries are to be done on that day otherwise they will not be counted on voting day.
1st Feb - voting day. This is the day that you can vote on the competition entries. You have a max of 3 votes and you do not need to use all 3. Voting finishes at midnight then I count the votes, check exif data to make sure it was taken in January, make sure that no one has voted more than 3 times then announce the results. The winner, gets to choose February's theme and I amend the title. You can now go back and like any of the other comp entries if you so wish.

3. Memes, jpegs, gifs - I don't mind people posting these. What I don't want is this thread to be just a chat thread with endless memes, gifs, etc. There are plenty of other threads in HUKD for that. The odd one is fine.

4. The Photo Thread is mainly for photos, chat about cameras/accessories, help on how to get the best in a certain situation and anything else to do with photography. As I took it over from Chesso, I want to keep it true to her vision of it. Some banter is fine but I don't want page on page of off topic banter, again there are plenty of threads in HUKD to do this on. There are posters on here who have been on here for years and help keep this thread going every year. I wouldn't want it to die a death. It's one of the few good natured threads that has gone on for years. No bitching, trolls, agendas, cliques, etc. It's why I agreed to keep it going.

Finally....enjoy yourselves in this thread.

If I have missed anything out, I will add to this. I'm going to ask to get this pinned so newbies can read it. Please do read the pages at the beginning of this thread.
Edited by: "fern37" 5th Jan
fern37
14th Jan 2019

#1 How to post a pic

Using flickr, click on the "More ways to share" icon (Shown in pink)
Click on "Grab the HTML/BBCode"
Copy the text in the box (Shown in blue)
Paste the text into the HUKD comments box and click "post comment"

How To Post and Host Images For Thread Submissions, Comments & Replies

Uploading photos to this thread

3rd party hosting isn't the problem, it's the way HUKD handles images now. It re-writes the Flickr code, because you can no longer have a URL wrapped around an image. It would break the pop-up when you click on the image.

You can still grab the images from Flickr, but it's slight tricky.

If you go to 'Share photo', then choose 'BBCode', you need to copy the URL between the two [img] tags. It's easier to copy the whole lot, paste it into notepad then grab the image URL. Then you can see what you are doing.

There's example in the image, click on it to be able to read it better.

This is the image from that URL:

This is the orginal Flickr page: flic.kr/p/V…qtz

Theoretically, I think you should actually write another link crediting Flickr for hosting the image to remain inside their T&C, but I don't think anyone is going to come and kick your door down if you don't.

Just to re-iterate, this is 100% a HUKD problem, they totally screwed Flickr links after the re-design.

OR

Seeing as some having problems linking images

Now that the forum has changed how images are handled the steps to post an image has changed.
Firstly, the pictures shown on the forum are being rehosted by the site so unless you provide a direct link to the image of your choice then this forum can't rehost it.
For users like myself that use imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com">imgur.com">imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com">imgur.com">imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com">imgur.com">imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com">imgur.com">imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com">imgur.com">imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com">imgur.com">imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com">imgur.com">imgur.com" target="_blank" class="link" rel="nofollow noopener" title="http://imgur.com">imgur.com this is a simple matter of using the 'direct link' at the side of your image.
For others using Flickr, the links used for sharing don't just contain an image link so it confuses the site.

I can't link the rest of the post but have a look at this link from brilly, as hukd say I have characters that I need to remove but I can't see what they are!!

hotukdeals.com/dis…=14
#2 Competition info

Monthly theme and competition is entirely optional!! Post your pics of anything on all but on the competition day..

There are RULES but no prizes

Post as many pics as you like on the theme in the thread during the month, as well as any other photos, of course.

Theme pics can be posted anytime during the month but only ONE comp pic.

The competition entry photo must be one taken during that month. Post the pic for the competition on the last day of the month. If there is a change to it being the last day of the month, it will be flagged in the thread title by me.
Voting is a max of 3 likes per voter. Anyone can vote. Voting is on the first day of the next month and only votes on that day will count.

E.g. take a photo in January; post it on the 31st January. Vote on 1st February.

Winner chooses the theme for the next month.

Could you mark your entries as 'My Entry' to make it clear it is for the comp.
#3 software for editing & resizing

Free photo-editing software:

photoscape.org/ps/…php
picasa.google.com/
getpaint.net/
gimp.org/
pixlr.com/
irfanview.com/
photofiltre.en.softonic.com/
sumopaint.com/app/
photoscape.org/ps/…php
hongkiat.com/blo…ow/

Re-sizing

word on resizing:
You can custom resize in photoshop and other editing software and photobucket etc have resizing, otherwise you can download a resizer.

softpedia.com/pro…tml
Here's another one.
toki-woki.net/p/S…ic/
#8 2020 Monthly Comp Winners

Jan Theme - Anything Goes. Winner @J9STL (pg 4)
Feb Theme - Nature. Winner
Edited by: "fern37" 5th Feb
eleven
twelve
post 13
Thank you Fern 📷
Thank you Fern 💜

Starter for 9 & 1/2....

39600248-iL6Xm.jpg
Ruins of an old parish church near me at sunset. Thought TT would like the flag

britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101…all
39600311-SOKKN.jpgThx fern ill post the first obligatory cat photo 🐱
39600953-d05z1.jpg
Posting in one of these threads for the first time!
Jon_Snow06/01/2020 00:20

[Image] Posting in one of these threads for the first time!

Welcome and amazing shot
Thanks fern
39604036-7eZnq.jpgJust lucky to have this view on our doorstep... I don't do editing or that stuff, I prefer the reality of it

What equipment did you take that with?
MrSprkle06/01/2020 12:57

What equipment did you take that with?

Camera:Nikon D600
Lens:18-35 mm
Shot at 28 mm
Exposure:Manual exposure, 1/2,000 sec
f/4.2, ISO 160
39605434-RU5OA.jpgBudapest this weekend gone!

Douglas_Birks06/01/2020 12:54

[Image] Just lucky to have this view on our doorstep... I don't do editing …[Image] Just lucky to have this view on our doorstep... I don't do editing or that stuff, I prefer the reality of it

Call8m06/01/2020 15:37

[Image] Budapest this weekend gone!

Welcome to all three of you. I do hope you post more this year in the thread and take part in the comp at the end of each month. We welcome all abilities and whether you process your shots or leave them raw, that's totally fine as we are a mixed ability group.

The monthly comp is a fun thing we do. It's always good natured and there are no prizes. The winner gets to pick the theme for the next month. I am going to use January as an example of how it it is run.
2nd-30th Jan - anyone can post photos on here and they can be liked by anyone and there is no restriction on likes. It can be to do with the theme or just a random pic or series of pics that you have taken and want to share.
31st Jan (last day of the month) - comp entry day. This day is set aside for posting your entry for the monthly competition. Please mark it as 'My Entry'. It needed to have been taken during the month of January and should be relevant to the theme. You could have posted it already through January or saved it for the comp. NO LIKES of these entries are to be done on that day otherwise they will not be counted on voting day.
1st Feb - voting day. This is the day that you can vote on the competition entries. You have a max of 3 votes and you do not need to use all 3. Voting finishes at midnight then I count the votes, check exif data to make sure it was taken in January, make sure that no one has voted more than 3 times then announce the results. The winner, gets to choose February's theme and I amend the title. You can now go back and like any of the other comp entries if you so wish.

That's a beautiful pic
39607238-RwdtC.jpg
First timer here. I’ll pop a couple up but leave time for others to get involved. Lovely idea for a thread.
This was taken at the start of December while on holiday in Lapland.
39607247-OrvNw.jpg
Morning routine
adamtattonreid06/01/2020 18:39

[Image] First timer here. I’ll pop a couple up but leave time for others t …[Image] First timer here. I’ll pop a couple up but leave time for others to get involved. Lovely idea for a thread. This was taken at the start of December while on holiday in Lapland.

Hi & welcome to the thread. Lovely photos. This thread has been going for years. I start a new thread each year. Look forward to seeing you post more and please do think about entering the comp at the end of each month.

The monthly comp is a fun thing we do. It's always good natured and there are no prizes. The winner gets to pick the theme for the next month. I am going to use January as an example of how it it is run.
2nd-30th Jan - anyone can post photos on here, they can be liked by anyone and there is no restriction on likes. It can be to do with the theme or just a random pic or series of pics that you have taken and want to share.
1st Feb - voting day. This is the day that you can vote on the competition entries. You have a max of 3 votes and you do not need to use all 3. Voting finishes at midnight then I count the votes, check exif data to make sure it was taken in January, make sure that no one has voted more than 3 times then announce the results. The winner, gets to choose February's theme and I amend the title. You can then go back and like any of the other comp entries if you so wish.
Finally got round to processing this today, it was shot last year. Saw it as a spec in the sky, approaching dusk. Realised it was swooping towards me, happened to have the right lens on the camera... probably a once in a lifetime snap.

39608246-lWfmq.jpg
Canon 100-400 L ii @400mm

Sparrowhawk btw
Jon_Snow06/01/2020 13:11

Camera:Nikon D600Lens:18-35 mm Shot at 28 mmExposure:Manual exposure, …Camera:Nikon D600Lens:18-35 mm Shot at 28 mmExposure:Manual exposure, 1/2,000 sec f/4.2, ISO 160

I'm most certainly not trying to be critical, in fact actually I'm hoping I can learn. Why did you choose 1/2,000 and f/4.2
OllieSt09/01/2020 15:04

I'm most certainly not trying to be critical, in fact actually I'm hoping …I'm most certainly not trying to be critical, in fact actually I'm hoping I can learn. Why did you choose 1/2,000 and f/4.2

Hey! A combination of reasons. I took several images at this spot and the one that I selected had the composition that I liked the most. There might have been other images with different settings, but I did not like them.

Now to explain the setting I used:

> 1/2,000 - Because it was day time and I needed the shutter to be fast enough to not overexpose the image.

> f/4.2 - That's roughly the widest the aperture could open on that lens. I wanted the foreground (the vegetation on either side) to be less in focus than the background that I was trying to focus on. Usually people use f/8 to f/11 for landscapes so that everything is sharp. But I knew I was going to go in for a dreamier edit: You shoot with the final edit in mind.

Hope this helps!
Edited by: "Jon_Snow" 9th Jan
Thanks. Yeah composition is spot on and ultimately that's is of high importance. I would have chosen f/11 - f/16 in a sheep like manner but like the explanation of your thought process and it's something I will consider myself. It a really pleasing photo
Edited by: "OllieSt" 9th Jan
Any advice please.

I haven't used a tripod for years but want to buy one now. I'm driving myself mad trying to find one at a reasonable price but don't want to end up buying rubbish, nor do I want to be paying silly money. Nearly all of the photos I take are in cities but I bought a new lens XF16-55 and I want to enjoy it to it's fullest.

All I have definitely decided on is that it must be a travel tripod. I'm edging towards the Leofoto LS-224C/254C

TRAVEL TRIPOD RANKINGS

39635242-bBUte.jpg
Not totally happy with this but some 'appealing' shrooms
39635275-0Hj4v.jpg
Wongy11009/01/2020 19:01

Not totally happy with this but some 'appealing' shrooms[Image]

no sticks
OllieSt09/01/2020 18:57

Any advice please. I haven't used a tripod for years but want to buy one …Any advice please. I haven't used a tripod for years but want to buy one now. I'm driving myself mad trying to find one at a reasonable price but don't want to end up buying rubbish, nor do I want to be paying silly money. Nearly all of the photos I take are in cities but I bought a new lens XF16-55 and I want to enjoy it to it's fullest. All I have definitely decided on is that it must be a travel tripod. I'm edging towards the Leofoto LS-224C/254CTRAVEL TRIPOD RANKINGS[Image]

I have a Velbon Ultra Luxi F which is now discontinued. Had it for 15yrs+ with no issues. It fits in a daysack which is handy. Have you thought about getting a 2nd hand one on ebay? There is a newer version here amazon.co.uk/Vel…1RE

Edit: blimey prices have gone up a lot in 15 years!
Edited by: "Hacked" 9th Jan
That's more like the price I want to pay. 2nd hand is no issue, it's just knowing what to go for. Body/lens combo on new purchase is 1.75kgs and this is all very different for me. I'm used to walking around exclusively with Fuji X100. I've dug out old camera bag which I'm happy to use but nowhere to attach tripod, so I need to re-think that too. Cost most certainly hasn't ended with purchase of my new toy.

I was also quite interested in Sirui T-025SK Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod Kit but the ball head is just ok
OllieSt09/01/2020 20:50

That's more like the price I want to pay. 2nd hand is no issue, it's just …That's more like the price I want to pay. 2nd hand is no issue, it's just knowing what to go for. Body/lens combo on new purchase is 1.75kgs and this is all very different for me. I'm used to walking around exclusively with Fuji X100. I've dug out old camera bag which I'm happy to use but nowhere to attach tripod, so I need to re-think that too. Cost most certainly hasn't ended with purchase of my new toy.I was also quite interested in Sirui T-025SK Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod Kit but the ball head is just ok

You twist the handles on the Velbon to lock the pan & tilt. Very intuitive and quick once you get used to it. A quarter turn to lock and unlock. Am wondering if the knobs on that Sirui might get obscured by your gear and be a bit fumble-inducing?

OllieSt09/01/2020 20:50

Cost most certainly hasn't ended with purchase of my new toy.

I'm not going to disclose how many lenses I have Therapy can help, apparently
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants