Shower flow not very good,some advise please

Found 27th Oct 2011
Hi
I had a a electric shower fitted today while i was at work (triton forte 9.5kw electric shower)
Tthe showers functioning ok but when i get it at a warm temp the flow rate is not good at all,
It hardly reaches the plug in the bath. When it is set to just cold it is fine
Will this be because we have a combi boiler as ive heard the pressure is not the best for showers?
Or maybe just need a better shower head.
Im not sure thought i would ask you guys,im going to give him a bell tomorrow see what he thinks was too late by time i got in.
Thanks
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
Electric showers ALL give poor flow. You've got 9.5kw kW whereas a shower from a combi is 24 or 28 kW.
MEASURE the flow at showering temperature.

10.5 x 60 /(4.185 x 32) gives about 4.7 litres/min for a 32 degree temp rise.

If the flow is restricted by a blocked filter the water will be very hot - worth a check.

Read more: diynot.com/for…691
Edited by: "timtom13" 27th Oct 2011
Your new electric shower is connected to the mains water supply and not the boiler.
It works by passing water over the elements hence when its cold lots of water is passing through the shower when its hot the water flow is reduced so that the water temperature can rise.
Many electric showers do not have thermostats and water flow is the only means of temperature control so to recap when its hot flow rate is reduced when its cold flow is at max. If flow rate drops to low, heater should cut off to prevent scalding
You could try increasing the water pressure by turning the stop cock anti clockwise whilst another person checks the water coming out of the shower to see if it makes a difference. A word of warning do it a little bit at a time.

If that fails give the installer a call first thing in the morning and tell him that you would like him to come a rectify the problem.
Grill

You could try increasing the water pressure by turning the stop cock anti … You could try increasing the water pressure by turning the stop cock anti clockwise whilst another person checks the water coming out of the shower to see if it makes a difference. A word of warning do it a little bit at a time.If that fails give the installer a call first thing in the morning and tell him that you would like him to come a rectify the problem.

If the flow is fine when turned cold, it would indicate there is no issue with pressure.
The shower head is an existing one then

Get one with fine jet holes.... and not with lots more holes than the one you have.

moob

If the flow is fine when turned cold, it would indicate there is no issue … If the flow is fine when turned cold, it would indicate there is no issue with pressure.

With respect, how would you know the flow is fine without checking it? Just because the op thinks that the flow is ok when the shower is set to cold, you can't rule out that the installer has failed to open the stop cock to a position that allows the shower to operate correctly.

Edited by: "Grill" 27th Oct 2011
thanks for the replys,
im going to call to b&q (or somewhere) tomorrow and get a better shower head.
ive just read some reviews on the shower and some people were saying about the poor shower head so hopefully that might help,i checked the stop cock and that's fully open.
the pressure in the cold tap next to the shower is great and when i take the shower head off and put the shower on cold its good ,not as good as the tap next to it but ok so that seems fine
I think all electric showers are slower in colder weather, and even worse in the thick of winter due to the temperature of the water from the mains. The colder the water is, the slower it will go as the shower has to work harder to heat up the water.

Ours does exactly the same when its cold, in summer its a lot faster.
all cheap (e,g, triton) electric showers are crap in cold weather. We had a 9.5KW triton and it was useless in winter (mains pressure is good).

Switched to a 13.5KW one and this improved things but still only just about usable. Now have a power shower from the HW tank and its amazing in comparison.
stefromuk

thanks for the replys,im going to call to b&q (or somewhere) tomorrow and … thanks for the replys,im going to call to b&q (or somewhere) tomorrow and get a better shower head.ive just read some reviews on the shower and some people were saying about the poor shower head so hopefully that might help,i checked the stop cock and that's fully open.the pressure in the cold tap next to the shower is great and when i take the shower head off and put the shower on cold its good ,not as good as the tap next to it but ok so that seems fine

it wont make any difference and just chucking good money after bad.

take the shower head off completely and then fill a bucket for 1 minute at your required temperature.

the amount of water will give you your flow rate. I suspect you'll be getting about 4 litres per minute which is crap

then repeat using the coldest setting. If you get above 8 litres then your mains pressure is ok.
Thanks for all the info i wish I'd had looked into it before i bought the shower i just presumed all showers were the same ,I'll give that bucket idea a go when i get home cheers! I'll stick with this till ive some spare money for a decent power shower ,would a power shower use the same connections like the thickness of the electric cable
ive just measured our flow rating from triton electric shower and recorded 1 min to fill 8 litre bucket on coldest setting but 2 and a half mins to fill 8 litre bucket on a hot/mixed setting. Is this a fault with the shower as it is to slow to shower properly ? i appreciate any advice !
sadie.louise17 m ago

ive just measured our flow rating from triton electric shower and recorded …ive just measured our flow rating from triton electric shower and recorded 1 min to fill 8 litre bucket on coldest setting but 2 and a half mins to fill 8 litre bucket on a hot/mixed setting. Is this a fault with the shower as it is to slow to shower properly ? i appreciate any advice !

My shower is a Triton Trance, it has three power settings, one cold, one low and one high. I only use the high setting in winter when the ground water going to the mains is very cold. When it's on the high setting and a high temperature the flow rate is little more than a dribble, and as another poster said it cuts out if it's on too long to avoid scalding. Do you have more than one power setting on yours?.
yes it has the 3 settings but i can only use the hottest setting with the 2 red stripes otherwise its too cold, do you think we would benefit from a new shower ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants