Found 5th Oct 2016
Hey wonder if anyone can shed some light as to what's happening.
I have 2 showers in my house. The en suite shower won't get warm anymore. The other shower is still as warm as it's always been. But when the main shower is on the en suite shower gets luke warm. Without the main shower on it just remains ice cold. Anyone know what's happened? They're not electric showers and are fed from a water tank

Thanks for any help or responses!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

sounds like you may need a pump between your ensuite and other shower.

Do you have a red and white expansion tank next to the boiler tank ? If so one of these should have a dial on and if so how many bar of pressure is it reading ?
If you don't have these like the other post said you must have a pump which won't be working.
Edited by: "hutchir9" 5th Oct 2016

air lock in the hot feed to the en suite

Original Poster

hutchir9

Do you have a red and white expansion tank next to the boiler tank ? If … Do you have a red and white expansion tank next to the boiler tank ? If so one of these should have a dial on and if so how many bar of pressure is it reading ? If you don't have these like the other post said you must have a pump which won't be working.

I do have both of these. A red and white tank. The pressure was maybe just above 1 bar...

An easy check is the filter in the hot connection. I know this is easy because I had the same problem last year. My frustration led me to replace the shower head, then the boiler and finally the mixer in the shower itself and while doing that last bit and big lump of gunk fell out the hot pipe filter washer :-) Only cost £2,000 to find that out :-)

Thermostatic cartridge probably needs replacing.

You're pressurised hot & cold so no need for a pump, and no chance of an airlock.

I once had a similar problem and just needed to change the metal hose thingy attached to the shower head as the hot water wasn't going through it properly.
I have no technical knowledge, only that a simple hose fixed my problem!

Original Poster

themorgatron

Thermostatic cartridge probably needs replacing. You're pressurised hot & … Thermostatic cartridge probably needs replacing. You're pressurised hot & cold so no need for a pump, and no chance of an airlock.

Where do I find the thermostatic cartridge?

Also I guess I put my heating on upstairs for the first time this year and the day after there was a clunk and no hot water from that shower. I'm guessing maybe there was a build up of something?

woster

Where do I find the thermostatic cartridge? Also I guess I put my heating … Where do I find the thermostatic cartridge? Also I guess I put my heating on upstairs for the first time this year and the day after there was a clunk and no hot water from that shower. I'm guessing maybe there was a build up of something?

Probably worth checking it's not the hose by running it with hose detached first.

To check its the shower turn the water off then remove it, turn water back on and see if you have hot water coming out if the open pipe (you will also be able to check the filter is clear where the hot/cold goes into shower valve).

If it's definitely the shower you need to identify the make/model and normally you can then order a thermostatic cartridge (assuming it is). Showerdoc will identify your shower from a pic if you don't know.

Banned

themorgatron

Thermostatic cartridge probably needs replacing..

^^^^^^ this most probably

Original Poster

themorgatron

Probably worth checking it's not the hose by running it with hose … Probably worth checking it's not the hose by running it with hose detached first.To check its the shower turn the water off then remove it, turn water back on and see if you have hot water coming out if the open pipe (you will also be able to check the filter is clear where the hot/cold goes into shower valve).If it's definitely the shower you need to identify the make/model and normally you can then order a thermostatic cartridge (assuming it is). Showerdoc will identify your shower from a pic if you don't know.

Well my shower head comes out of the ceiling. There isn't an actual hose. Both showers are wet rooms

woster

Well my shower head comes out of the ceiling. There isn't an actual hose. … Well my shower head comes out of the ceiling. There isn't an actual hose. Both showers are wet rooms

Concealed mixer, I take it you bought a reputable brand name Buy the thermostatic cartridge for it before taking apart - you can still test the hot works up the the shower as before, if it does replace cartridge.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983229
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247552
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427114623
    4. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1115

See more discussions