Posted 16 May 2020

Shpock - buyers are scammer

is this normal...

so recently sold my Gucci bag online via the Shpock app. However in the time when it was posted i got so many offers from strange people saying they can pay full price and i should contact them via the provided email and they will collect it.

Turns out those people are scammers. When you do contact them as I did they will ask you for your Paypal email send you a fake email with you can tell is not legit from Paypal and give you an address so you can send the product.

Just to worn you..never trust those people the amount of scammers who buy high end products has increased since this pandemic. If they can pay via the app itself you should accept the offer!

Trust me those scammers will keep trying their luck as for me they have send me from over 40 accounts everyday a different offer providing different email addresses. Looks like they have plenty of time to spend.

As that happened to anyone else or am i the only one who got these kinda weird offers from scammers??

Please be aware who you selling your products too.
Community Updates
New Comment

33 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I thought everyone already knew those kind of sites are riddles with scammers. I've come across so many over the years I don't even batter an eyelid any more.

Cash and in person only in my book but even then I'm sceptical!
    Simple advice - cash is king. Money in the hand before handing anything over. Sell on local Facebook trade pages, there are loads of them. I've sold on Facebook marketplace, and bought too. Never has an issue with cash. Genuine buyers actually like cash. They get to see the goods before handing their hard earned cash over. Folding paper money, no PayPal, no bank transfer. Just Good, old fashioned cash.
    Had it on gumtree so many times when we were selling my husbands car, sadly they prey on people’s greed and desperation... even though we both know it’s a scam, there will always be the odd chump chasing £££ who will fall for it.
    deleted240919516/05/2020 22:13

I am still new and learning all this and was shocked...any tips how to best …I am still new and learning all this and was shocked...any tips how to best identify those people :0 could help me in the future

If someone isn't willing to collect do not sell simple. Don't click on any links don't download any other apps
    What Shpock has scammers !

Why did know one tell me
    It's a common tactic on Gumtree, too. They have a whole section dedicated to safe buying and selling on there (I don't use Shpock, so, not sure what guidance/safety measures they provide for users).

Typical scams are people asking if you'd let them pay by Paypal, Western Union etc if you'll post the item out to them (I only ever meet face to face with Gumtree, or they come to my door). Even if the payment processes by Paypal, they can then reverse the payment under certain situations (not sure how, but I wouldn't let it happen to me in the first place).

I've had people ask me to travel miles away to give the item to them, which I don't do if it's crazily far away.

If their English seems a bit off and you suspect it's a copy/paste - delete and ignore, that's a giveaway.

I've also had aggressive weirdos trying to get me to drop a price. One guy who emailed again and again signed off by saying in his last message, "let me know if you change your mind!". I'd quite happily keep the item than meet someone who's so pushy online - you can bet they're a nightmare in real life! (edited)
    Ebay shpock gumtree need to do more. Similar to what the banks do now when you're transferring money to someone. Facebook market place has been the most genuine place for me to buy/sell
    AnkerMan17/05/2020 08:20

How is buying from facebook any different to the sort of problems that can …How is buying from facebook any different to the sort of problems that can be inherent to the other marketplaces?

To start with you can see how active they have been, see photos of them, see photos of their friends. There is no payment platform either, so less ways for scammers to get their hooks in . Make an informed decision before you agree to deal with them - much the same as selling on Ebay - but with more information available.
    Nothing is 100% safe, you do what you feel comfortable with.
    I've found Facebook best for me, both buying and selling. (edited)
    AnkerMan17/05/2020 09:01

What do you mean by no payment platform? Buyers have choice of paying by …What do you mean by no payment platform? Buyers have choice of paying by cash or other means?I considered using facebook but i would be starting from scratch as deleted my profile years ago. So you wouldnt see my friends or social activites like a friday night bender with my head in a bush.

The famous Ebay forces you to use Paypal. There are ways round it, but they hammer home the 'protection' side. Facebook marketplace assumes cash or you agree on a payment method (PayPal f+f, tins of pineapple chunks, whatever) or whatever you agree on. It's easier for both parties to pull out, but it works both ways. Also on Facebook you're not going to get someone called FredSmith1234 claiming to be based in UK, actually turn out to be some fly by night Chinese firm where you wait 6 weeks for some cheap tat ( if it turns up at all). (edited)
    I’ve had this too!! I was selling Ralph Lauren dressing gowns and they were telling me to go to a shop and they would pay the money into an account and I go to the shop to withdraw the money.

Also on eBay I’ve had people say I want this but contact me first via this email!!!
    It’s kind of obvious to me when they’re scammers.
    Author
    darlodge16/05/2020 21:58

I thought everyone already knew those kind of sites are riddles with …I thought everyone already knew those kind of sites are riddles with scammers. I've come across so many over the years I don't even batter an eyelid any more.Cash and in person only in my book but even then I'm sceptical!

ah trust me even then they will say..as they can not come going to send someone else...reallyy?? send someone else..i mean why damn you can not trust anyone..guess i have to go back old fashion and sell everything in a fleamarket :/
    Author
    deleted244151316/05/2020 22:09

It’s kind of obvious to me when they’re scammers.

I am still new and learning all this and was shocked...any tips how to best identify those people :0 could help me in the future
    Author
    ashmac16/05/2020 22:13

What Shpock has scammers ! Why did know one tell me

Buyers trust me i did not know myself and recently came across this... shocking!
    It's warn you, unless you like to wear people?

Also every website has scammers on, the fact you got more than a few people offering to do business that way should have been a red flag.
    When using cash familiarise yourself with the texture and watermarks. Its useful to be able to count money and be discrete about checking it's authenticity. You can also buy a special pen that will help you determine if it's fake.
    Shpock can be frustrating. There's a lot of time wasters.

People will ask the best price instead of making an offer.

People not reading description.

People not turning up.

People asking about delivery when you list something for a few pounds or for free!

People expecting you to leave the house and go to their car!

I only do collection, so I don't fall for scammers. If they have good feedback and they're local, I might deliver if they're paying for delivery on top. It's good if you use it this way.
    madoka_ayukawa17/05/2020 01:06

Isn't it dangerous for you to let buyers know where you stay? If they're …Isn't it dangerous for you to let buyers know where you stay? If they're bad people, you'll be worrying for the rest of your life

Not really, if you have a nutty boyfriend
    AgentSmith17/05/2020 00:44

Shpock can be frustrating. There's a lot of time wasters. People will ask …Shpock can be frustrating. There's a lot of time wasters. People will ask the best price instead of making an offer.People not reading description.People not turning up.People asking about delivery when you list something for a few pounds or for free!People expecting you to leave the house and go to their car!I only do collection, so I don't fall for scammers. If they have good feedback and they're local, I might deliver if they're paying for delivery on top. It's good if you use it this way.

Same on Gumtree, it can be more hassle than its worth sometimes, I make sure I arrange it for quiet evening when I'm in all night.

I've had loads of people sound really keen, message or phone a few hours before appearing then...nothing. It's annoying but there's not much you can do. Yet if you can't make a meeting and let them know the night before (this only happened once, btw) the buyer concerned threatened to complain to Gumtree!

People tend to ask questions already answered in the listing, or are easily confused - that could be a perception/intelligence thing. I advertised Philishave replacement heads and had a few messages asking for more details, as if it was an entire shaver (the ad wasn't misleading at all, I only had pictures of the shaver heads and packaging, with a list of compatible shaver models).

Even if you do agree on a price before the person appears, some can be a bit cheeky trying to haggle for an even lower price at the door, which is why I let boyf do the negotiating, because he's stubborn.
    f3rgy1517/05/2020 02:57

Ebay shpock gumtree need to do more. Similar to what the banks do now when …Ebay shpock gumtree need to do more. Similar to what the banks do now when you're transferring money to someone. Facebook market place has been the most genuine place for me to buy/sell

How is buying from facebook any different to the sort of problems that can be inherent to the other marketplaces? (edited)
    Sorry to hijack this but has anyone used the Sphock postage scheme?
    Doesn't make much sense to me, if the confirms its arrived they then release the cash to you... What happens if they just say it didn't turn up? Seems like Sphock are basically helping scammers get round not paying and getting the item too
    Used it for years never had a problem. Just state collection and cash on collection only problem solved
    Ringfinger17/05/2020 08:53

To start with you can see how active they have been, see photos of them, …To start with you can see how active they have been, see photos of them, see photos of their friends. There is no payment platform either, so less ways for scammers to get their hooks in . Make an informed decision before you agree to deal with them - much the same as selling on Ebay - but with more information available. Nothing is 100% safe, you do what you feel comfortable with. I've found Facebook best for me, both buying and selling.

What do you mean by no payment platform? Buyers have choice of paying by cash or other means?
    I considered using facebook but i would be starting from scratch as deleted my profile years ago. So you wouldnt see my friends or social activites like a friday night bender with my head in a bush.
    It’s been like that not long after the sites started
    Gumtree, Shpock and all them lot, are a scammers playground

full of scum (except one person who actually came and collected the item, and me)
    Author
    Thank you everyone these are all useful infos
    Isn't it dangerous for you to let buyers know where you stay? If they're bad people, you'll be worrying for the rest of your life
    f3rgy1517/05/2020 02:57

Ebay shpock gumtree need to do more. Similar to what the banks do now when …Ebay shpock gumtree need to do more. Similar to what the banks do now when you're transferring money to someone. Facebook market place has been the most genuine place for me to buy/sell

What do the banks do ?
    Ringfinger17/05/2020 09:15

The famous Ebay forces you to use Paypal. There are ways round it, but …The famous Ebay forces you to use Paypal. There are ways round it, but they hammer home the 'protection' side. Facebook marketplace assumes cash or you agree on a payment method (PayPal f+f, tins of pineapple chunks, whatever) or whatever you agree on. It's easier for both parties to pull out, but it works both ways. Also on Facebook you're not going to get someone called FredSmith1234 claiming to be based in UK, actually turn out to be some fly by night Chinese firm where you wait 6 weeks for some cheap tat ( if it turns up at all).

Thanks. If i was to create a new profile and start using the marketplace on Facebook as new user, what would make you feel comfortable buying from me? My activities wouldnt include my social or work life so that kind of limits what you would see...
    If i joined some of the facebook communities with some choice comments, would that give you a sense?
    Its always hard building up a profile when you start out on new platform.
    AnkerMan17/05/2020 09:26

Thanks. If i was to create a new profile and start using the marketplace …Thanks. If i was to create a new profile and start using the marketplace on Facebook as new user, what would make you feel comfortable buying from me? My activities wouldnt include my social or work life so that kind of limits what you would see...If i joined some of the facebook communities with some choice comments, would that give you a sense?Its always hard building up a profile when you start out on new platform.

To be honest, what would make me feel comfortable with a new user is Cash and not meet alone. Don't invite anyone into your house, but let them knock and see you come out of the house so they know that's where you live. To demonstrate electrical goods use an extension lead and still stay outside. Don't be offended if when you buy from someone they do similar.
    As for building up a profile, i did this very quickly on Ebay (I seldom use it now except for sellers I've used before and trust ) by buying loads of 1p cheap tat jewellery from China. For about £3 I ended up with over 200 positive feedback almost instantly (Chinese sellers used to give positive feedback instantly if you gave them positive first ). Shows how easy it is to get a good profile.
    Ringfinger17/05/2020 09:35

To be honest, what would make me feel comfortable with a new user is Cash …To be honest, what would make me feel comfortable with a new user is Cash and not meet alone. Don't invite anyone into your house, but let them knock and see you come out of the house so they know that's where you live. To demonstrate electrical goods use an extension lead and still stay outside. Don't be offended if when you buy from someone they do similar.

Interesting but also much of what you say is stuff i already practice on gumtree when selling there. I like the idea of the extension cord but usually dont mind someone coming into the house provided its only one person (friend stays outside). Exception is for a parent who brings their child.

I rarely if ever get offended because i actually like to see buyers/sellers who are committed and have genuine questions. The last person who bought an item of mine scanned the barcode and then had their mate of twitter verfity it via periscope lol.
    I stopped using that site over 12 months ago. Full of scammers and idiots who offer pennies for a quality item. Not monitored like gumtree
    I have just received a offer for a item I have put for sale on shock.and was asked if I can send my name and email address so that they can pay for it .and arrange collection of the bike.so I knew straight from the jump it is a scam so I asked them for a contact number and as I guessed that has resulted in no further contact.
's avatar