sick and tired of customer services based abroad

23 replies
Found 24th May 2008
especially orange

all of the workers seem to be working on a comission basis to con consumers out of money

1. Misc
  2. Tyres
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Tyres
23 Comments

No disrespect when i say this but i hate ringing a company and having to talk to someone with a hard to understand accent!!

KELLY 'N' STEVE;2170768

No disrespect when i say this but i hate ringing a company and having to … No disrespect when i say this but i hate ringing a company and having to talk to someone with a hard to understand accent!!

I'm sure they feel the same.

I feel the same, if companies want to sell to UK customers, their customer services staff should be based here.

We need put our custom with companies who have UK based call centres to safeguard their jobs.

thesaint;2170803

If that is the case then they shouldn't work somewhere when they don't understand people!!

KELLY 'N' STEVE;2170768

No disrespect when i say this but i hate ringing a company and having to … No disrespect when i say this but i hate ringing a company and having to talk to someone with a hard to understand accent!!

You mean welsh?

I hate it when they dont listen to you, and speak to you like they're reading from a book, and after a half hour conversation your back to square one, i just ring back a few times, hoping to speak to someone uses their own initiative, highly frustrating

thesaint;2170803

then they shouldn't work for an UK company in which their job requires them to talk to UK people.

A tip for anyone who has Nowich union car insurance: If you don't want to talk to their useless customer service team based in India, call the van services, they can help you and are based in England.

nadss;2170892

I hate it when they dont listen to you, and speak to you like they're … I hate it when they dont listen to you, and speak to you like they're reading from a book, and after a half hour conversation your back to square one, i just ring back a few times, hoping to speak to someone uses their own initiative, highly frustrating

you talking about virgins technical support line?:-D

There certainly is a problem in terms of a language and culture difference, meaning that conversations can become 5x longer than necessary.
The real problem is the separation of organisation and call centre. The foregin CS staff are in a complex in somewhere far off, whilst the actual cogs and wheels of the organisation (Managers, technicians, office staff etc) are usually based in headquaters somewhere in the UK.
They are cut off from any real knowledge of the business, starting with how problems should be solved and who to contact if more help is required. All they have is a script which they are given and they flounder under any kind of deviation. Their supervisors are just as lost as they are, so there is no use in even asking for them.
I've found I have to use the snail mail more and more to get my point across to companies with foreign call centers, which is a shame as it usually takes ages to get any kind of reply.

There is a virgin`s technical support line......:)

Yes they are useless but then so is Sky broadband / technical support.

I've rung Virgin, British Gas, O2 and CPW recently and they have all been remarkably good. BT on the other hand have been the absolute worst I've encountered.

MoreThan give you the oppertunity to request that you be put through to a UK call centre.

Banned

It could be worse. Get a T-Mobile phone and speak to someone in Sunderland!!! (And not understand them!)

We have dealt with BT on numerous occasions - awful, cannot understand what they are saying, ended up requesting they send me the information in writing! I was really embrassed. felt bad asking but, simply couldn't understand him!

suze;2171195

We have dealt with BT on numerous occasions - awful, cannot understand … We have dealt with BT on numerous occasions - awful, cannot understand what they are saying, ended up requesting they send me the information in writing! I was really embrassed. felt bad asking but, simply couldn't understand him!

Indeed, I recently had to phone BT on behalf of my grandmother as her husband had passed away as such wanted to have the account changed into her name. The person on the other end seemed at first to not understand the concept that humans actually die :?. Finally after explaining that for about 10 minutes that people die, I wanted to they could change the name on the account to my nan, but oh no! the person said they had to close his account and open a new one in her name, so i thought fine (at least the phone number remains the same). So I enquired about bill payment and was told that a final bill would be sent and a new "welcome" letter for my nan would also be sent (which could take 2 weeks). Two weeks past and nothing, then a couple after that a lovely red demand later to my grandfather (with "if you do not pay extra £7.50 charge/cut service etc on it), and still nothing to say about an account for my nan :thinking: we'll probably just leave it for now as it's not worth all the hastle and upset (for grandmother)...

EDF and British gas took about 5 minutes to just change the name on the account and everything was fine...

I know you'll all shout but I work for the company that promise all the call centres are uk based. Last week a customer had to transferred from one of our northern centres as she said she didn't want to talk to a foreigner, they had a manchester accent!!!!

KELLY 'N' STEVE;2170853

If that is the case then they shouldn't work somewhere when they don't … If that is the case then they shouldn't work somewhere when they don't understand people!!

I'm sure that the people working in a foreign call centre don't have the luxury of picking and choosing where they work, if it's a choice of speaking to someone they don't understand, but getting paid anyway(even if it is a pittance), or starving in some dingy street in a shanty town, they will usually choose the former.

You should be complaining to the companies that you have chosen to use that have made a decision to outsource the labour to make even more money. Vote with your feet.

It drives me crazy when you call an abroad call centre and you cannot understand what they are saying, you can hardly hear what they are saying and they don't have the language skills to be able to answer your question properly (that's the bit that gets to me most). Having said this, I can't remember who I was calling, but I recently got through to a call centre in India and the chap was so obviously very well educated, spoke better English than some Brittish people, was more than helpful, and a delight to deal with. I have also got through to people in English call centres who have very strong accents such as Scottish and seriously struggled to hear them properly. I dread calling any call centre, it's never a particuarly fulfilling experience.

hdixon85;2172621

It drives me crazy when you call an abroad call centre and you cannot … It drives me crazy when you call an abroad call centre and you cannot understand what they are saying, you can hardly hear what they are saying and they don't have the language skills to be able to answer your question properly (that's the bit that gets to me most). Having said this, I can't remember who I was calling, but I recently got through to a call centre in India and the chap was so obviously very well educated, spoke better English than some Brittish people, was more than helpful, and a delight to deal with. I have also got through to people in English call centres who have very strong accents such as Scottish and seriously struggled to hear them properly. I dread calling any call centre, it's never a particuarly fulfilling experience.

Because everyone in Scotland has a stroing accent, what a stereotype, just to let people know many Scottish call centres dont hire regular Scottish people, they hire people with neutral accents or who sound the most "English" so often its in peoles minds.

My grandparents who are in their 80's, born and bred in south west England and only ever been to Scotland once in their life understood fine.

Very few people sound like the ones you see on tv i.e Glaswegians.

Its kinda like saying all English people sound Geordie, Scouse or Cockney as they are the most well known.

I didn't mean to offend and really didn't mean it like all Scottish people at all, it was the first example that came to mind and I did say when people have 'very strong accents', I totally agree some local English accents are very strong hard to understand as well. I go to Scotland every year on holiday and love it, best holidays of my life, but on occasions I do have trouble hearing what people say, just like some very strong Southern Irish accents, some very strong English accents, and it's only when accents are very strong that I struggle which is what I thought I said and definately meant in my last message.

hdixon85;2172663

I didn't mean to offend and really didn't mean it like all Scottish … I didn't mean to offend and really didn't mean it like all Scottish people at all, it was the first example that came to mind and I did say when people have 'very strong accents', I totally agree some local English accents are very strong hard to understand as well. I go to Scotland every year on holiday and love it, best holidays of my life, but on occasions I do have trouble hearing what people say, just like some very strong Southern Irish accents, some very strong English accents, and it's only when accents are very strong that I struggle which is what I thought I said and definately meant in my last message.

You didnt offend me I just like to point things like that out as I hear all the time from Englsh people that Scottish people are hard to understand which is strange as I know loads of English people who have no problem with me(even as far as thinking im English!) nor the Scottish people I know at uni, nor other Scottish people I know in different parts of the country.

Banned

ryouga;2172679

You didnt offend me I just like to point things like that out as I hear … You didnt offend me I just like to point things like that out as I hear all the time from Englsh people that Scottish people are hard to understand which is strange as I know loads of English people who have no problem with me(even as far as thinking im English!) nor the Scottish people I know at uni, nor other Scottish people I know in different parts of the country.

Just like in England, Scottish accents vary. Edinburgh accents are easy to understand, whereas a strong Glaswegan accent can be difficult. I have family in Glasgow (well they've moved to Cumbernauld now) and I struggle with them at times! They understand me perfectly well - unless I start using slang terms they might not be aware of.

guv;2172830

Just like in England, Scottish accents vary. Edinburgh accents are easy … Just like in England, Scottish accents vary. Edinburgh accents are easy to understand, whereas a strong Glaswegan accent can be difficult. I have family in Glasgow (well they've moved to Cumbernauld now) and I struggle with them at times! They understand me perfectly well - unless I start using slang terms they might not be aware of.

The only English accent that really confuses me is stereotype cockney like on Eastenders "ow are yew" etc my mums English but even she got offended before when they took a Scottish soap off English tv because the English said they needed subtitles when loads of people I know dont understand Eastenders but theres no outcry over that lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415467
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522885
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604830
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314660

See more discussions