Sick of reading books by British authors only to read American spellings

Banned
Even when the books are published in the UK they have American spellings, what is going on? Z this, Z that and color this color that ahhhhh

and no I have not been reading Harry Potter...I saw a grown man in a hospital reading that and I thought WTF!

31 Comments

maybe thats why the guy was in hospital

Original Poster Banned

golemsmate

maybe thats why the guy was in hospital

it was in the maternity ward

lumoruk

it was in the maternity ward

oh dear, I feel sorry for his child! X)

Banned

published in the UK doesn't mean they were written by UK authors?

I'm confused, was the bloke having a baby then?

greg_68

I'm confused, was the bloke having a baby then?

harry potter!

Original Poster Banned

DangerGod

I'm reading UK authors, English to be precise.

Is it to appeal to both markets?

Banned

DangerGod

But i guess stating British authors in the OP would mean that?

Banned

lumoruk

I'm reading UK authors, English to be precise.

Name and shame

Banned

master_chief

But i guess stating British authors in the OP would mean that?

Yeah. Oops

Original Poster Banned

DangerGod

Name and shame

First Flight by Geoffrey Wellum, I don't want to give my true personality away so won't name the rest. He's ex RAF, private school boy and then lets the yanks Americanise his book.

Edited by: "lumoruk" 11th Jan 2011

It will be the editor that changes it.

Saves on printing costs for the publisher. Happens all the time.

Kick them in the fanny

Even when the books are published in the UK they have American spellings, … Even when the books are published in the UK they have American spellings, what is going on? Z this, Z that and color this color that ahhhhh and no I have not been reading Harry Potter...I saw a grown man in a hospital reading that and I thought WTF!TAGS: (Add a tag)

If you're going to comment on English grammer and punctuation shouldn't you write properly?
I mean like OMG and ting
Edited by: "effingandjeffing" 11th Jan 2011

Read the bible, awesome story plus there are a couple of badass muthas in it. There's this one badass called Jesus

effingandjeffing

If you're going to comment on English grammer and punctuation shouldn't … If you're going to comment on English grammer and punctuation shouldn't you write properly?I mean like OMG and ting

Cough, irony, cough.

Original Poster Banned

numptyj

Read the bible, awesome story plus there are a couple of badass muthas in … Read the bible, awesome story plus there are a couple of badass muthas in it. There's this one badass called Jesus

I heard it was full of tall stories and mistranslated into English, I got sick of it being read to me at School and Sunday School. Plus I heard he was a ****.

Banned

numptyj

Read the bible, awesome story plus there are a couple of badass muthas in … Read the bible, awesome story plus there are a couple of badass muthas in it. There's this one badass called Jesus

*spoiler alert*

He dies!

Original Poster Banned

master_chief

He dies!

Bad spoiler or you didn't read the bible, he lives!

Either way he was a slightly better illusionist than David blaine

moob

Cough, irony, cough.

oh ****, meant to write 'granma'
Edited by: "effingandjeffing" 11th Jan 2011

Original Poster Banned

effingandjeffing

yup sorry I meant 'granma'.

granma?

And how about the Brits that sing in a yank accent?! Lame.

lumoruk

First Flight by Geoffrey Wellum, I don't want to give my true personality … First Flight by Geoffrey Wellum, I don't want to give my true personality away so won't name the rest. He's ex RAF, private school boy and then lets the yanks Americanise his book.

strong stalking skillz on this site

Original Poster Banned

ei8hty5ive

And how about the Brits that sing in a yank accent?! Lame.

Someone gives a good answer here and have seen scientific articles to back it up, but can't find them.
answers.yahoo.com/que…1Ey

magicbeans

strong stalking skillz on this site

agreed.

master_chief

*spoiler alert*He dies!

That's the worse culprit, they stick a Hollywood ending on where the main guy comes back to life

OP totally agree, really irritating.

So is the WORD om my laptop, USA English. No matter how many times I change the default / setting to UK English, slips back every time I open new blank page.

Often do long documents, takes me longer having to double check not USA spellings. Wish I could totally delete USA version:(

lumoruk

First Flight by Geoffrey Wellum, I don't want to give my true personality … First Flight by Geoffrey Wellum, I don't want to give my true personality away so won't name the rest. He's ex RAF, private school boy and then lets the yanks Americanise his book.

I think you'll find it's Americanize.

iglimpse

Wish I could totally delete USA

Reported for terrorist extremeism

Syzable

Reported for terrorist extremeism

X) Wicked
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona1422
    2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!1213
    3. Anyway to remove the Idealo section in searches?11
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846097

See more discussions