Expired

sick pay working term time.

Found 27th Jan 2014
Hi all I was wandering if anybody could offer me some advice please... I've been off work sick now since late October and was payed full sick pay for 13 weeks (65 days) I will now go onto ssp as of 28/01. I am currently awaiting an operation and have a fit note till beginning feb. My contractual hours are term time working 39 weeks a year but I get payed the same every month for the year (office work) my company can be quite shifty so would rather find out for myself entitlement... if I try to go back to work (as I can't afford to be on ssp) and I'm too ill to work.. if I am off again. Will I be entitled to full pay again ? Thank you .
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
it is normally 13 weeks or whatever the policy is per year so would suggest you wouldnt
tdh31

it is normally 13 weeks or whatever the policy is per year so would … it is normally 13 weeks or whatever the policy is per year so would suggest you wouldnt

thank you for your reply. My company policy is no more than 2 separate occasions of a sickness in 12 month period after 2nd sickness going into 3rd occasion 6 month pay ban..
the other issue is you have a fit note saying you are not fit to be at work til feb so they may not allow you back without a dr saying you are fit to be there
If you just go office work ask if you can work from home until you're recovered
gr8t1

If you just go office work ask if you can work from home until you're … If you just go office work ask if you can work from home until you're recovered

thank you for your comment good idea but everything has to be done onsite.
tdh31

the other issue is you have a fit note saying you are not fit to be at … the other issue is you have a fit note saying you are not fit to be at work til feb so they may not allow you back without a dr saying you are fit to be there

+1

I was signed off sick but was ready to go back before the fit note expired. I went back to work but got sent home. Thinking about it it makes sense but it didn't occur to me at the time.

Lol they won't take you back unless you get a back to work note from dr saying your fit for work, it's to cover them for insurance
check your companies sick/absence pay policy, i work in college term time too and they have a 5 year tiered system depending how long you have worked for them, below is lifted from documents in our college hope it helps you.

The College has an obligation to pay Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for up to 28 weeks of sickness to those employees who are eligible to receive it. This policy explains regulations affecting entitlement to Occupational Sickness benefits and the effect of SSP on these benefits. SSP is earnings and is therefore subject to tax and national insurance deductions

All employees aged 16 or over and who pay National Insurance contributions are eligible to receive the benefits described in this policy.

The entitlement to Occupational Sick Pay increases according to the length of the employee's continuous service (see below). The date from which continuous service is calculated will be stated in the employee's contract.

Entitlement to Paid Sick Leave
Subject to the provisions of this Scheme, employees will be entitled to the following periods of paid sick leave:
During 1st year of service 1 month full pay and, after 4 months'
Service, 2 months half pay
During 2nd year of service 2 months full pay and 2 months half pay
During 3rd year of service 4 months full pay and 4 months half pay
During 4th and 5th year of service 5 months full pay and 5 months half pay
After 5 years' service 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay
Note: For the purpose of calculating entitlement to Occupational Sick Pay, "one month" is equivalent to a calendar month.
Sick Pay Policy.
ANDYwwww987

check your companies sick/absence pay policy, i work in college term time … check your companies sick/absence pay policy, i work in college term time too and they have a 5 year tiered system depending how long you have worked for them, below is lifted from documents in our college hope it helps you.The College has an obligation to pay Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for up to 28 weeks of sickness to those employees who are eligible to receive it. This policy explains regulations affecting entitlement to Occupational Sickness benefits and the effect of SSP on these benefits. SSP is earnings and is therefore subject to tax and national insurance deductionsAll employees aged 16 or over and who pay National Insurance contributions are eligible to receive the benefits described in this policy.The entitlement to Occupational Sick Pay increases according to the length of the employee's continuous service (see below). The date from which continuous service is calculated will be stated in the employee's contract.Entitlement to Paid Sick LeaveSubject to the provisions of this Scheme, employees will be entitled to the following periods of paid sick leave:During 1st year of service 1 month full pay and, after 4 months'Service, 2 months half payDuring 2nd year of service 2 months full pay and 2 months half payDuring 3rd year of service 4 months full pay and 4 months half payDuring 4th and 5th year of service 5 months full pay and 5 months half payAfter 5 years' service 6 months full pay and 6 months half payNote: For the purpose of calculating entitlement to Occupational Sick Pay, "one month" is equivalent to a calendar month.Sick Pay Policy.

thank you for this.. I will look into it. Ours is nowhere near as good as this as I've got 5 years of service in and only 13 weeks full pay. Thank you :-)
sumo999

Lol they won't take you back unless you get a back to work note from dr … Lol they won't take you back unless you get a back to work note from dr saying your fit for work, it's to cover them for insurance

why LOL? It was a genuine question..
northeastkev

+1I was signed off sick but was ready to go back before the fit note … +1I was signed off sick but was ready to go back before the fit note expired. I went back to work but got sent home. Thinking about it it makes sense but it didn't occur to me at the time.

thank you :-)
heyluke

why LOL? It was a genuine question..

Because if all you had to do to get another 3 month sick pay was go back and then be off again everyone would do it, think yourself lucky you got 13 weeks pay a lot of company's now only give you your ssp
that wasn't my intention. I genuinely want to go back to work.. back In a routine etc... hubby police officer and gets 6 months full pay! (he's the lucky one). was merely checking to secure our mortgage !
I would check with your company and see what they say, were I use to work paid sick pay on a tier system, but you got ssp from the start and they only topped that up to the normal wage amount so if you had 13 weeks full pay it would of used up 13 weeks of ssp so you would only be entitled to another 13 weeks ssp.... but everywhere is different and a lot don't pay anything now apart from ssp
its understandable youre needing to find out entitlements . is it on your contract or company handbook . ??
if theres a hr dept ask them , my company pays sick pay with appropriate gp fit note up to maximum set period and then a full qualifying year must pass before being entitled to full sick pay , i had the bad experience of being off last year sick for long time , car crash , and it is an anxious time worrying about bills etc when you poorly , hope you better soon .

with the fit note system your gp can state you are fit for work on light or altered duties if this is appropriate , this relies on the employer agreeing it is safe and appropriate for you to be there , is this something you could enquire about ???
there are guidelines on internet , there has to be a finish time for these adjustments if it is agreed , so you are encouraged abd working towards full duties , hope this helps
and .... ring acas , they might help if company not helpful
suezygirl

its understandable youre needing to find out entitlements . is it on your … its understandable youre needing to find out entitlements . is it on your contract or company handbook . ??if theres a hr dept ask them , my company pays sick pay with appropriate gp fit note up to maximum set period and then a full qualifying year must pass before being entitled to full sick pay , i had the bad experience of being off last year sick for long time , car crash , and it is an anxious time worrying about bills etc when you poorly , hope you better soon . with the fit note system your gp can state you are fit for work on light or altered duties if this is appropriate , this relies on the employer agreeing it is safe and appropriate for you to be there , is this something you could enquire about ??? there are guidelines on internet , there has to be a finish time for these adjustments if it is agreed , so you are encouraged abd working towards full duties , hope this helps

thank you for your response hun really helpful.. shouldn't really say but our HR department are rubbish tried to reduce my maternity leave by 4 weeks as my baby was due 4 weeks after I was due to break up for six weeks holiday... said I had to take mp from then so a little frustrating that I can't trust them... ACAS soon sorted that for me... yes hun it's in my contract no more than 2 separate occasions of sickness in a 12 month period and after that 6 months pay ban... never been off for this long ever and yes it is worrying regards to money and bills etc... although hubby a police officer and on a good wage we all live to our means don't we.. :-) :-)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions