Groups

Sign this petition against the NHS using 0844/0845/0870 numbers if you haven't already

The petition is coming to an end in a few days, there are currently over 50,000 signatures.

This is something everyone on HUKD should be signing, if you're against doctors surgery's, hospitals and so on under the NHS using local/national rate numbers.

petitions.number10.gov.uk/Hea…ne/

Petition set up by saynoto0870.com/ (get to know about this site if you don't already)

37 Comments

Signed this a while ago.
    The cost is silly to phone my local surgery.
    Good post mate..

My Doc's isn't one of those yet, but i found out recently my Dad's is when i had to ring them,i think it's disgusting.

Banned

done

NHS shouldnt be using phone numbers designed to fleece people.... especially when most peeps have access to free geographical calls

Ive just signed too, i think its disgusting they are even thinking of this :x

Original Poster

A friend of mine recently moved to the capital and actually decided to go 2 minutes further down the road to sign up at another surgery as the one closest used an 0845 number 'out of principle'! That's 3 years of being associated with someone like me, for ya.

And agreed, it's absolutely ridiculous that local doctors should be using such numbers. A tip to anyone who can't find a geographical/freephone number for theirs on saynoto0870, the local number is often listed on directory-type websites from before they changed to a pay number, it's well worth Googling and then submitting to the Saynoto0870.com database to help others out too.

Banned

*roosterpots*;6986386

Ive just signed too, i think its disgusting they are even thinking of … Ive just signed too, i think its disgusting they are even thinking of this :x

deb8z;6986305

My Doc's isn't one of those yet, but i found out recently my Dad's is … My Doc's isn't one of those yet, but i found out recently my Dad's is when i had to ring them,i think it's disgusting.

ukmonkey;6986263

Signed this a while ago.The cost is silly to phone my local surgery.Good … Signed this a while ago.The cost is silly to phone my local surgery.Good post mate..

So you'd all be happy to pay to fill the gap left when this income stops?

It's one of the few 'taxes' based on use in the NHS and also stops frivolous calls, which some might see as a good thing.

I think it's a good thing. What with the lack of tax as there are less workers and the rise in benefits they need to raise the cash from somewhere.

If they don't raise it here it will just mean an extra "NHS Tax" or a reduction in services further down down the line.

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;6987112

So you'd all be happy to pay to fill the gap left when this income … So you'd all be happy to pay to fill the gap left when this income stops?It's one of the few 'taxes' based on use in the NHS and also stops frivolous calls, which some might see as a good thing.

I see your point, but surely such a 'stealth' way of making money is simply taking advantage of those in need? Also, where does the money made from receiving local/national rate calls go? From what I can tell, it's the local GPs own choice whether they use such numbers, therefore it's hard to tell where the profits would go. I doubt they're distributed where needed as there's no regulation, is there?

I simply see these tactics as an easy way to take advantage of good people who don't know any better.

Banned

TGB;6987247

I see your point, but surely such a 'stealth' way of making money is … I see your point, but surely such a 'stealth' way of making money is simply taking advantage of those in need? Also, where does the money made from receiving local/national rate calls go? From what I can tell, it's the local GPs own choice whether they use such numbers, therefore it's hard to tell where the profits would go. I doubt they're distributed where needed as there's no regulation, is there?I simply see these tactics as an easy way to take advantage of good people who don't know any better.

It's not a stealth tax. I know that's one of those phrases people like to use in a derisory fashion nowdays, but as taxes go it's pretty 'unstealthy'.

You only pay if you use the NHS, and it seems the GPs get to decide if they apply it apparently.

I just don't see the big deal.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6987112

So you'd all be happy to pay to fill the gap left when this income stops?

I'm happy to pay my taxes and NI that assist with the NHS service.

Luckily I personally very rarely need to use it (Last time I went to a Doctors surgery for me was in 2002 when I had Chicken Pox)

By your reasoniong re phone calls, I should be due a rebate..... But don't worry, I'm happy to help out those less fortunate than me. Even you. :thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;6987112

So you'd all be happy to pay to fill the gap left when this income … So you'd all be happy to pay to fill the gap left when this income stops?It's one of the few 'taxes' based on use in the NHS and also stops frivolous calls, which some might see as a good thing.

What sort of frivolous calls,help i need a Doctor:roll:

One can hardly ring my surgery for much these days as it is,you can't order a repeat prescription over the phone,nor can you enquire if one is ready.

The only thing you can do is make an appointment over the telephone so it's hardly frivolous.

deb8z;6988313

What sort of frivolous calls,help i need a Doctor:roll:One can hardly … What sort of frivolous calls,help i need a Doctor:roll:One can hardly ring my surgery for much these days as it is,you can't order a repeat prescription over the phone,nor can you enquire if one is ready.The only thing you can do is make an appointment over the telephone so it's hardly frivolous.

lol, more silly billies here, the reason the service is used is to make it pay for it self and have more money to spend on Health Care they make no money on it it goes right back into paying for the service. But yes I suppose your local PCT can foot a Siemens phone system and auto-attendant costs and take money away from, say free clinics or something......................

Do people really think that private companies offer their services to the NHS for free...............actually 9 times out of 10 its costs more to the NHS because they see the NHS as a cash cow and get squeezed for as much money as possible, thanks to the Government restrictions on the NHS Service Catalogue

Banned

guv;6987403

I'm happy to pay my taxes and NI that assist with the NHS service. … I'm happy to pay my taxes and NI that assist with the NHS service. Luckily I personally very rarely need to use it (Last time I went to a Doctors surgery for me was in 2002 when I had Chicken Pox)By your reasoniong re phone calls, I should be due a rebate..... But don't worry, I'm happy to help out those less fortunate than me. Even you. :thumbsup:

I'm intrigued by that last comment. in what way do you think I'm less fortunate?

If my surgery didn't keep me in a queue for about 20 mins each time I called, just to make an appointment, then I probably wouldn't mind so much. Sticking higher rate numbers in place when they can't answer the phone within a reasonable amount of time isn't the best way to keep people happy and supportive, in my opinion.

Charlie&Lola;6988744

If my surgery didn't keep me in a queue for about 20 mins each time I … If my surgery didn't keep me in a queue for about 20 mins each time I called, just to make an appointment, then I probably wouldn't mind so much. Sticking higher rate numbers in place when they can't answer the phone within a reasonable amount of time isn't the best way to keep people happy and supportive, in my opinion.

again lose more money employing more people to answer phones and lose services else where, good init

Alfonse;6988812

again lose more money employing more people to answer phones and lose … again lose more money employing more people to answer phones and lose services else where, good init

I think the solution with my surgery would be to bring back being able to book appointments in advance. Trouble is, the lines open at 8am, there's a mad rush for everyone that wants to see a doctor because if you've not got through by about 9am then they've run out of appointments and just tell you to call back and do the same thing the next day, they won't let you book anything in advance.

If they let you make appointments in advance, then there wouldn't be everyone desperately trying to get through as soon as the lines open

do any of these petitons actually work?

Although my surgery is local call these numbers would be even better as 0845/0870 etc are free on a BT Landline.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6988624

I'm intrigued by that last comment. in what way do you think I'm less … I'm intrigued by that last comment. in what way do you think I'm less fortunate?

It would take too long to draw up a list. Besides, we both know why you asked.

Banned

I have already signed it and changed my doctor's because of it :thumbsup:

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;6987293

It's not a stealth tax. I know that's one of those phrases people like to … It's not a stealth tax. I know that's one of those phrases people like to use in a derisory fashion nowdays, but as taxes go it's pretty 'unstealthy'.You only pay if you use the NHS, and it seems the GPs get to decide if they apply it apparently.I just don't see the big deal.

I don't like the overuse of the word 'stealth taxes' either, right up there with 'credit crunch', but IMO the use of 0845/0870 numbers is quite a dishonest practice by anyone's standards and there's little need for it.

I know plenty of people who call these numbers obliviously, not realizing they're throwing money away by doing so. Perhaps they should do their homework, but still think the use of such numbers is pretty damn low in the NHS.

Fair play though, it's not a massive deal!

Original Poster

jasonrat;6988884

do any of these petitons actually work?

The gov't are obliged to reply to any petition left on their official site, they usually get a response, though often enough not the one anyone was looking for!

Banned

guv;6988891

It would take too long to draw up a list. Besides, we both know why you … It would take too long to draw up a list. Besides, we both know why you asked.

I'd hate to put you in an awkward position:whistling:

Maybe draw up a list when you're physically able to:thumbsup:

TGB;6989249

I don't like the overuse of the word 'stealth taxes' either, right up … I don't like the overuse of the word 'stealth taxes' either, right up there with 'credit crunch', but IMO the use of 0845/0870 numbers is quite a dishonest practice by anyone's standards and there's little need for it.I know plenty of people who call these numbers obliviously, not realizing they're throwing money away by doing so. Perhaps they should do their homework, but still think the use of such numbers is pretty damn low in the NHS.Fair play though, it's not a massive deal!

read my post on page 1

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6989326

I'd hate to put you in an awkward position:whistling:Maybe draw up a list … I'd hate to put you in an awkward position:whistling:Maybe draw up a list when you are completely bored and can be bothered :thumbsup:

No awkward positions for me remember. I'm missionary only according to you.

I've corrected the second part for you. :thumbsup:

TGB;6989249

I know plenty of people who call these numbers obliviously, not realizing … I know plenty of people who call these numbers obliviously, not realizing they're throwing money away by doing so.

Only if they are calling from a non BT line though.

guv;6989701

No awkward positions for me remember. I'm missionary only according to … No awkward positions for me remember. I'm missionary only according to you.I've corrected the second part for you. :thumbsup:

:w00t:

signed,it should be free to call your GP to make an appointment

Not signed quite happy to pay

Banned

abacus;6990514

Not signed quite happy to pay

Will you pay for me to go private? :-D

Banned

boothy;6990077

signed,it should be free to call your GP to make an appointment

A local call still costs money, and you pay for your GP through taxes (presuming you actually have a job).

So are you arguing for it to be completely free? That's unworkable, surely.:whistling:

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6991741

A local call still costs money, and you pay for your GP through taxes … A local call still costs money, and you pay for your GP through taxes (presuming you actually have a job).So are you arguing for it to be completely free? That's unworkable, surely.:whistling:

A local call is free on my package :thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;6991741

A local call still costs money, and you pay for your GP through taxes … A local call still costs money, and you pay for your GP through taxes (presuming you actually have a job).So are you arguing for it to be completely free? That's unworkable, surely.:whistling:

it could happen very easily,once again you are wrong

Banned

boothy;6991845

it could happen very easily,once again you are wrong

A public healthcare option could be free:?

DLM;6991822

If you were with BT so would these numbers be. :-D

Banned

DLM;6991822

And how much does your package cost?:roll:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …182470
      2. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October1022
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1846
      4. Any PS4 News Here29213642

See more discussions