Silicone Paste

Posted 15th Jan
My car electric windows go up and down really slowly. After watching some YouTube videos, I’m pretty sure it’s because of the rubber runners have dried out.

The YouTube videos advise silicone paste to re lubricate the rubber runners.

Trouble is I’m finding it hard to find the correct one. Silicone spray is quite common, but I can’t seem to find the paste.

Any ideas where I can get it?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

29 Comments
This should do the job
Edited by: "JizzKid" 15th Jan
JizzKid15/01/2020 22:43

This should do the job

Found quite a few items like this, but I don’t think it’s the same as silicone paste.
It comes in a paste form. Should do the job in my experience
JizzKid15/01/2020 22:47

It comes in a paste form. Should do the job in my experience

Not suitable for rubber unfortunately
39686575-MEm0F.jpg
What car is it? Likely that the regulators are on their way out ... common issue for some cars. Not too hard to replace, just awkward. Some can even be repaired. I know old BMW 3 series could be repaired with cable ties!
Diggsy15/01/2020 23:04

What car is it? Likely that the regulators are on their way out ... common …What car is it? Likely that the regulators are on their way out ... common issue for some cars. Not too hard to replace, just awkward. Some can even be repaired. I know old BMW 3 series could be repaired with cable ties!

It’s a Honda, 15 year old car. I’m pretty sure its just the rubber as I can hear the motor struggling as the runners aren’t lubricated.
mas12315/01/2020 23:09

It’s a Honda, 15 year old car. I’m pretty sure its just the rubber as I can …It’s a Honda, 15 year old car. I’m pretty sure its just the rubber as I can hear the motor struggling as the runners aren’t lubricated.

Hopefully you’re right, however that motor struggling sound is often a sign that the regulator has seen better days. On a 15yr old car I’d say it’s highly likely.

Good thing is if it is the regulator it can be done DIY and it’s inexpensive to do
Wd40 fixed mine. Smears glass at first but after a few days all good.
Diggsy15/01/2020 23:12

Hopefully you’re right, however that motor struggling sound is often a s …Hopefully you’re right, however that motor struggling sound is often a sign that the regulator has seen better days. On a 15yr old car I’d say it’s highly likely.Good thing is if it is the regulator it can be done DIY and it’s inexpensive to do

Hopefully it’s just the runners. If the paste doesn’t fix it, I’ll have to change the regulator as you say.
mas12315/01/2020 23:14

Hopefully it’s just the runners. If the paste doesn’t fix it, I’ll have to …Hopefully it’s just the runners. If the paste doesn’t fix it, I’ll have to change the regulator as you say.

Yep, fingers crossed for you. Easy enough to grease them and try anyway, and it’ll have cost very little if it doesn’t work.
Wind the window down, spray some furniture polish (Mr Sheen type stuff) down the channels and exercise the window a few times.
WD40 silicone spray works fine use in the side runners.
ssc116/01/2020 11:14

WD40 silicone spray works fine use in the side runners.

I echo that, have used it to help a few window sticks now.
When you start to use it please set a reminder to use it when the weather warms up a bit, & again just before it cools for consistency, eg, warm March day & warm Sept/ October day.
Ditto a 10 minute whizz around door seals with a rubber plumper cos seals dry, rubber loses its bounce back & so water can get in, a cheap multi-aplication, no mess preventative measure.

I apply the Sonax (SONAX 03400000 Rubber Care on amazon) to a "relatively clean car a couple of times to get the liquid in there so there is technically a build up going on. first thing to try if you have a door seal related leak or similar.
Use it along the rubber edge strip of the window after you've used the silicone for penetration, both likely to be crusty.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 16th Jan
Spray seems a lot messier than the paste, although I’ll give it a go!
GT85 or any silicone spray.
(This comment will probably deemed to be off topic and will shortly be removed)
Silicone spray should do it, avoid oil based products, I see someone used wd40 , I would be cautious of using that.
Edited by: "compadre" 16th Jan
compadre16/01/2020 11:44

Silicone spray should do it, avoid oil based products, I see someone used …Silicone spray should do it, avoid oil based products, I see someone used wd40 , I would be cautious of using that.

Me too, WD40 makes rubber swell. I'd avoid GT85 for this purpose too.

Stick with silicone grease or spray. CPC should have some.
I saw a TV program where a tip was to use a candle.

Just rub it on the rubbers. It works.
Ordered WD40 Silicone spray. I will spray the rubber window runners. Do I need to spray the actual rubber the window goes down in to too?
mas12316/01/2020 21:17

Ordered WD40 Silicone spray. I will spray the rubber window runners. Do I …Ordered WD40 Silicone spray. I will spray the rubber window runners. Do I need to spray the actual rubber the window goes down in to too?

Try sides and top first, if you spray horizontal door rubber/wiper you window may get smeary and It could attract dirt.
compadre17/01/2020 16:12

Try sides and top first, if you spray horizontal door rubber/wiper you …Try sides and top first, if you spray horizontal door rubber/wiper you window may get smeary and It could attract dirt.

Do I need to clean the runners first before applying the silicone? And if so, what is suitable for doing so?
mas12317/01/2020 16:14

Do I need to clean the runners first before applying the silicone? And if …Do I need to clean the runners first before applying the silicone? And if so, what is suitable for doing so?

Little bit of detergent and water, toothbrush or paintbrush, leave to dry as best as possible!
compadre17/01/2020 17:49

Little bit of detergent and water, toothbrush or paintbrush, leave to dry …Little bit of detergent and water, toothbrush or paintbrush, leave to dry as best as possible!

Will try and let you know the results!
mas12317/01/2020 18:04

Will try and let you know the results!

Good luck. It would be nice to know.
compadre17/01/2020 18:35

Good luck. It would be nice to know.

Just cleaned all runners with detergent, then wiped down left to dry. Quite a bit of dirt was there, cloth came out black. Then sprayed silicone spray. It made a slight difference, but nothing major tbh.
mas12318/01/2020 14:44

Just cleaned all runners with detergent, then wiped down left to dry. …Just cleaned all runners with detergent, then wiped down left to dry. Quite a bit of dirt was there, cloth came out black. Then sprayed silicone spray. It made a slight difference, but nothing major tbh.

It’ll be the regulator then. Not too difficult or expensive to DIY
Tried again since last posting and it is a lot better actually. Maybe Silicone was still drying. Thanks for all your help guys
mas12318/01/2020 15:13

Tried again since last posting and it is a lot better actually. Maybe …Tried again since last posting and it is a lot better actually. Maybe Silicone was still drying. Thanks for all your help guys

Glad it went well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants