Silicone sealant recomendations

Found 22nd Nov 2017
I'm doing up my bathroom next week and looking for recommendations for silicon sealant to use around the base of the shower screen where it joins the tile base.

Anyone know which brands/types offer the best results and longevity?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Do not buy wickes brand - my bathroom looks like **** after less than a year. Having to re-do the sealant.
Edited by moderator: "potty mouth" 22nd Nov 2017
You need to buy a sanitary sealant to keep the mold at bay.

I find the ScrewFix own brand does a good job but if you want better buy the Dow Corning stuff from them. If you want coloured the Mapei stuff is also good.
I Only ever buy Dow Corning 785, there’s nothing that comes close
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 22nd Nov 2017
Just a quick one, which side are you putting the sealant, internal or external
Dannyrobbo12 m ago

I Only ever buy Dow Corning 785, there’s nothing that comes close

This is the stuff to go for. I've had some in for years and its fine. Previously I was replacing it all the time.
Bobbajob2 m ago

This is the stuff to go for. I've had some in for years and its fine. …This is the stuff to go for. I've had some in for years and its fine. Previously I was replacing it all the time.

Its really good stuff and not really much more expensive than the cheap stuff.
Dannyrobbo39 m ago

Just a quick one, which side are you putting the sealant, internal or …Just a quick one, which side are you putting the sealant, internal or external

Both, if I don't then moisture will become trapped and be difficult to clean.
Bigfootpete6 m ago

Both, if I don't then moisture will become trapped and be difficult to …Both, if I don't then moisture will become trapped and be difficult to clean.

I thought you were only supposed to put it on the outside because of this issue, otherwise it gets into the frame and has nowhere to go because it’s sealed both ways. Outside only means it runs back into the shower
Dannyrobbo27 m ago

I thought you were only supposed to put it on the outside because of this …I thought you were only supposed to put it on the outside because of this issue, otherwise it gets into the frame and has nowhere to go because it’s sealed both ways. Outside only means it runs back into the shower

I'm going to make sure it's thoroughly sealed so that no moisture gets in, there is no frame at the bottom, the support is from the wall side and a bar across the top.

ebay.co.uk/itm…A==
Dannyrobbo27 m ago

I thought you were only supposed to put it on the outside because of this …I thought you were only supposed to put it on the outside because of this issue, otherwise it gets into the frame and has nowhere to go because it’s sealed both ways. Outside only means it runs back into the shower

+1

Temptation is to do both but do outside of the frame/glass only - so that no water can get trapped. This of course assumes the shower frame is secured onto a waterproof surface.
Dannyrobbo56 m ago

Van197329 m ago

+1Temptation is to do both but do outside of the frame/glass only - so …+1Temptation is to do both but do outside of the frame/glass only - so that no water can get trapped. This of course assumes the shower frame is secured onto a waterproof surface.

Ok, have done some research so looks like that's the way to do it, thanks!
Bigfootpete1 h, 12 m ago

Ok, have done some research so looks like that's the way to do it, thanks!

The frame just doesn’t seal you’d drive yourself mad trying. Also if you’ve done the whole install yourself did you silicon behind the frame where it meets the wall and screws in?
Pu40 or pu18 from toolstation, remains flexible, waterproof and more sticking power than no nails.
Dannyrobbo4 h, 58 m ago

Its really good stuff and not really much more expensive than the cheap …Its really good stuff and not really much more expensive than the cheap stuff.

Another recommendation for this.
Did my shower and bath 8 years ago with this and its perfect and no mould whatsoever

32512884-pAqI2.jpg

And get a fugi tool to apply it (every home should have one)

google.co.uk/url…rl=
Edited by: "chocci" 22nd Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants