Silly question about trains ticket validaty

Posted 17th Feb
Apologies in advance for asking such a silly question.

I'm normally use to catching flights for international work travel however, tomorrow i'm required to travel inside the UK where i prefer to catch a train rather than drive.

I need to set a return time to purchase in advance but unsure how long i will be.

Does anyone know if i set the return for 1500 and if i was to finish earlier or later, will ticket still be valid for earlier later trains or would i require to purchase another ticket?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Depends which ticket you buy.
Advance tickets are usually booked train only. Standard returns usually allow travel on any train.
Ticket is showing standard return on advance booking, is that the same?

if i catch a different train can i pay the difference at the station or on the train or will i likely to get a fine?
Edited by: "samosa" 17th Feb
Do you have the printed tickets? If so there is usually a website url on one starts nre.co.uk

This should give you a link to the validity terms that might help
Just get open return
Edited by: "winzzz" 17th Feb
samosa17/02/2020 09:43

Ticket is showing standard return on advance booking, is that the same?if …Ticket is showing standard return on advance booking, is that the same?if i catch a different train can i pay the difference at the station or on the train or will i likely to get a fine?

Does the printed ticket state BOOKED TRAIN ONLY? If it doesn't then you should be fine to get any train.
It's maybe for off peak trains only
If you buy an off-peak ticket then you can't travel during peak hours. Otherwise it doesn't matter. I've caught an earlier and a later train lots of times, as long as there's room on the train no-one cares.
cis_groupie17/02/2020 14:01

If you buy an off-peak ticket then you can't travel during peak hours. …If you buy an off-peak ticket then you can't travel during peak hours. Otherwise it doesn't matter. I've caught an earlier and a later train lots of times, as long as there's room on the train no-one cares.

Depends on the ticket. When we use the train to Manchester Airport, you are only allowed to use a later train if your flight is delayed, they won't even allow you on the platform if the time is wrong.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants