Sim card for Egypt holiday suggestions please

Found 28th Mar
Hello I am going to Egypt next month for a week can anyone please help me? I have a 3 sim and when I checked the cost from Egypt because its not a feel at home destination they want £2 a min 35p a text and £6 per mb. Can anyone suggest an alternative sim? I need some texts and minutes included (mum and grandad dont have internet so I will have to ring/text everyday) so I cant just buy a data sim what are my options? I really dont want to spend a fortune on a sim just for 7 days. Thanks for reading and any help in advance.
Community Updates
12 Comments
why do you have to be in contact every day ?
mattmerch1 h, 34 m ago

why do you have to be in contact every day ?

I am travelling by myself for the first time and they are worried something is going to happen to me. They don't realise that its 2018 and people travel solo all the time. They also don't have the internet so facebook/whatsapp etc is not an option.
tamboss1 h, 27 m ago

https://www.worldsim.com/international-sim-cards?utm_source=WebgainsUK&utm_medium=Affiliate&affiliatesrource=WGS&utm_campaign=211757

£1.05 per min to call the uk on that sim try trip advsor forums for egypt they may have info on local sims hopefully they should have sims at the airport in egypt when you arrive make sure your phone is unlocked if you plan to use another non 3 sim
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 28th Mar
Last time I went to Egypt 3 years ago I bought a local Sim from the Vodaphone shop in Nabq although I wanted it for the 3G data as it was faster and cheaper than WiFi in the hotel.

Local calls on the simwhere cheap but you’d still be paying international calls to England and your family would be paying International mobile rates to call from the UK.
Just go to Vodafone shop, there are loads about, it cost us about a fiver for 5gb data, and great reception, they also done ones with calls
Enjoy your holiday. I travel solo most of the time now as I feel free to do whatever I like and learn from mistake that I do and to not belittle others(there are travellers who think they make the correct choice based on their own opinion, pls don't do this as everyone has their own ways of enjoying the holiday) . The first time is always the hardest but once your family is fine they will keep pushing you to travel to widen your horizon.
Would suggest using what’s app and getting them a data bolt on before you go. You can use WiFi to WhatsApp call and send messages and pics. It’ll be far cheaper than calling them whichever way you do it.

They are quite right to be concerned in Egypt, it’s not overly safe outside of the main resorts. Robberies, extortion and even kidnap isn’t uncommon, be careful who you trust, particularly if you are a woman.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 29th Mar
Maybe they are more concerned you are going to Egypt rather than travelling alone. I presume you are going to Hurghada which is relatively safe but prebook a taxi and stay in your resort.

We used hurghadatransfer.com/ who also arranged entry visas so saved a lot of hassle on arrival.

Take some anti-bacterial hand cream and use it EVERY time after you have handied their currency. Its filthy and one of the main reasons people get pharaohs revenge. Bottled sealed water only too. Avoid food that could have been washed in water Eg. Salad
Edited by: "chocci" 29th Mar
cmdr_elito3 h, 1 m ago

Would suggest using what’s app and getting them a data bolt on before you g …Would suggest using what’s app and getting them a data bolt on before you go. You can use WiFi to WhatsApp call and send messages and pics. It’ll be far cheaper than calling them whichever way you do it. They are quite right to be concerned in Egypt, it’s not overly safe outside of the main resorts. Robberies, extortion and even kidnap isn’t uncommon, be careful who you trust, particularly if you are a woman.

the ppl in UK she wants to stay in contact with do not have internet so no point suggesting whatsapp
Hence why I suggested getting them a data bolt on which would give them internet via their mobile phone which they clearly have as text messages were mentioned. The traveller can use WhatsApp in the hotel over WiFi and that’ll be far cheaper to do it this way than mess around with sims etc
Most places have free wifi especially hotels and trendy cafes, wattsapp is what i used, i have been to some well dodgy places and come to the conclusion its just a case of being in the wrong place in the wrong time.

metro.co.uk/201…59/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants