sim card for india

Found 17th Jul
Hi i am off on first trip to India next month , what the best bet for a sim card will be mainly data .
arriving at Delhi airport
will be visiting agra and Jaipur only there for 8 days
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
I suggest buying a local PAYG sim card as data rates are dirt cheap. It is called Prepaid sim card there. I had bought an idea sim last christmas and for Rs.349 (c.£4) which allowed 1.5gb of data per day for a month and unlimited local calls and text. Other networks (Vodafone / Airtel / Jio etc) have similar prices and coverage so take your pick. Only slight issue is that they will ask for documentary proof so make sure you carry your passport, visa and a passport size photograph when you go to buy a sim I'm not familar with Delhi airport situation as I landed in Mumbai, but I was able to buy the sim at the airport itself. Your sim is supposed to be actiaved pretty quickly, but in my case it took nearly a day for it to be activated.
You need a special ID called an aadhar card, see online
As far as I can remember, the best is to find a sim card at the airport, as later it will be difficult (near to impossible) to buy. A while ago they made it easier for the visitors to buy sim cards, but only at the airports.
hethekid57 m ago

You need a special ID called an aadhar card, see online

No, you don’t need it. Btw, can a foreigner have an aadhar card???
Aadhar is for Indian residents only. Sim card can be bought with foreign passport but it will only be valid for 3 months. It will automatically expire after then
astreix2 h, 11 m ago

Aadhar is for Indian residents only. Sim card can be bought with foreign …Aadhar is for Indian residents only. Sim card can be bought with foreign passport but it will only be valid for 3 months. It will automatically expire after then

No its not i have an aadhar card and I've never lived in India. I've got it as my dad and hubby are Indian, it's better to have than giving copies of your passport away to unscrupulous Indians who do god knows what with all your info.
thanks for the info
adhkarzf10 h, 7 m ago

to unscrupulous Indians who do god knows what with all your info.

Wow nothing like tarring over a billion people as unscrupulous...

The fact Aadhar is for Indian residents is not a matter of opinion it is the law and you only have to go as far as reading the first line on the UIDAI's website - uidai.gov.in/you…tml or read the first line of the wikipedia page about Aadhar en.wikipedia.org/wik…aar. Saying you managed to obtain an Indian resident ID without ever being resident in India and hence others can do the same is like saying because someone managed to drive without insurance you don't need insurance before driving.
I usually get an Airtel Sim, I have used others but nothing compares with Airtel when in Bharat!
adhkarzf17th Jul

No its not i have an aadhar card and I've never lived in India. I've got …No its not i have an aadhar card and I've never lived in India. I've got it as my dad and hubby are Indian, it's better to have than giving copies of your passport away to unscrupulous Indians who do god knows what with all your info.

HaHaHaHa… guess we know one person without scruples! The aadhar card is for Indian Residents ONLY...it is similar to the National Insurance card but with extra rights. Just because your father & husband may be of Indian origin (are they Indian residents?) does not mean you are entitled to an aadhar card. BTW, if you don't trust the Indians with your passport, were you happy to give them your fingerprints & retinal scans... asking for a friend!
BTW, OP, make sure they turn roaming on as Agra/Jaipur will be outside the Delhi/NCR area. Up till very recently, visitors who had an e-visa were given a local SIM as part of their Welcome pack but this has recently been phased out. There are kiosks at Delhi Airport Arrivals who will be able to sort you out when you arrive. As mentioned above, Vodafone, Airtel, Jio. Idea and Reliance are the most popular networks but the real choice is typically between Airtel & Vodafone. SIM deals are fairly cheap and come in all types of shapes & sizes.

Have a great trip!
frogman20th Jul

BTW, OP, make sure they turn roaming on as Agra/Jaipur will be outside the …BTW, OP, make sure they turn roaming on as Agra/Jaipur will be outside the Delhi/NCR area. Up till very recently, visitors who had an e-visa were given a local SIM as part of their Welcome pack but this has recently been phased out. There are kiosks at Delhi Airport Arrivals who will be able to sort you out when you arrive. As mentioned above, Vodafone, Airtel, Jio. Idea and Reliance are the most popular networks but the real choice is typically between Airtel & Vodafone. SIM deals are fairly cheap and come in all types of shapes & sizes.Have a great trip!

as the flights from the uk tend to arrive in delhi at about 1 am local time it was not possible to get a sim at the airport
What in a country like india with 1.3 billion people you need to show them a passport to get a sim card? Wtf haha

Biggest democracy in the world??? Yeah right

And sim cards are hard to find? Wow first i have heard of this

This post basically says get it from
A
Hotel or an airport that sounds insane
psd9918 h, 53 m ago

What in a country like india with 1.3 billion people you need to show them …What in a country like india with 1.3 billion people you need to show them a passport to get a sim card? Wtf hahaBiggest democracy in the world??? Yeah rightAnd sim cards are hard to find? Wow first i have heard of thisThis post basically says get it fromAHotel or an airport that sounds insane

how did you get your sim ? when you went to india
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 9th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions