SIM card - house alarm. SMS only

Found 21st Feb
Hi,

ive got a new house alarm that has text message alerts. I need a payg SIM card that has a good allowance for texts that lasts as long as possible.

any recommendations?

dan
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
a golf course i know has a alarm system of grid with a sim card alerts. They use the cheapest one for 500 sms a month.
YOU must first know what sim it can take, as some don't do 4g and only 3g
does it need a internet connection? to ip for it to be montored?
Nope no WiFi or internet connection, it’s quite basic really. So gsm sim only.
3's 3-2-1 SIM?
Giff Gaff PAYG sim.
borat12345 h, 44 m ago

Nope no WiFi or internet connection, it’s quite basic really. So gsm sim o …Nope no WiFi or internet connection, it’s quite basic really. So gsm sim only.

But is it 2G, 3G or even 4G.

Some devices are 2G only and some only single band i.e 900 Mhz or 1800 Mhz. For the first O2 Classic for the second Asda are about the cheapest for SMS, provided you keep enough credit on the SIM and make a chargeable event within 180 days.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 21st Feb
Any idea how many texts it will use?
Is it only going to report when something is tripped?

The choice comes down to bundles if it needs a regular chunk, or low rate PAYG if it needs a few (Delight are 2p/text like Three, but ok for 2G devices), or if it needs it rarely and you can't find a way to keep a PAYG alive (can it be made to send a test message?), then a really cheap PAYM would ensure it stayed live - a few do a £1 / 99p deal for something like 40 or 50 texts
It will only text if the alarm is activate, so fingers crossed that never happens. But if it does I don’t want it to be unable to do so because it’s out of credit. Ideally after the cheapest payg sim for text messages, where the credit will stay active forever /until used. Not a month thing that expires every 30 days or whatever
What's the model of the alarm?
I use this sim card

quicksafe.co.uk/sec…p57

it may seem expensive but most other sims will expire if you don’t use them for a long time. This charges you 99p to keep it live every month
Edited by: "maionline1" 23rd Feb
maionline16 h, 5 m ago

I use this sim card …I use this sim card http://www.quicksafe.co.uk/security-sim-cards-c32/quicksafe-security-secuirty-gsm-sim-payg-p57 it may seem expensive but most other sims will expire if you don’t use them for a long time. This charges you 99p to keep it live every month

Quicksafe's initial £30 cost then 99p/month is grossly expensive to keep an infrequently-triggered alarm active, even allowing for the initial £10 credit. Consider alternative of o2 Classic PAYG mentioned in post below.
Consider o2 Classic PAYG for effectively -50p (minus 50p) for maximum 250 years service.
Topcashback pays £10.50 for a free o2 SIM. o2 Classic PAYG costs 2p per text and only requires one chargeable item every 6months to keep the SIM active, which seems perfect for periodically testing the combined function of the alarm+SMS service. So a single £10 topup will technically last for 250years, not the pathetic 10months of quicksafe (where the "quick" presumably refers to how fast it eats into the credit). As TCB is offering £10.50 for an o2 PAYG sim, the realistic cost of using the sim in infrequently-triggered alarm applications is likely to remain in the negative band well beyond the life of the alarm hardware.
topcashback.co.uk/o2-…im/
o2.co.uk/sho…-go
Virgin media payg BIG TALK plan
borat123421st Feb

It will only text if the alarm is activate, so fingers crossed that never …It will only text if the alarm is activate, so fingers crossed that never happens. But if it does I don’t want it to be unable to do so because it’s out of credit. Ideally after the cheapest payg sim for text messages, where the credit will stay active forever /until used. Not a month thing that expires every 30 days or whatever

Looks like for Delight (the 2p/text PAYG that supports 2G) the credit expires after 90 days, and the SIM expires after 120 days - so you need to do a keepalive.
The other option being the £1 per month pay monthly (Delight, Vectone, maybe others) - I assume that never expires as long as you keep paying

Oh wow!, when did O2 join the 321 revolution?
Edited by: "matth9999" 25th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants