Groups

SIM Card Options

I'm out of my current mobile contract and not sure at the moment which phone I want to change to. In the interim I've decided to move to an alternative provider on a rolling 1month sim only deal that includes calls, texts and data. I've also been looking at mobile broadband packages as we own a caravan and go away in it quite a lot. The question I have is, if I purchase just the mobile broadband device can I insert my mobile sim into it to make use of the data allowance? I'm obviously trying to save costs so if anyone has any alternative options for me to consider I'd be very grateful. Thanks

18 Comments

As long as the dongle is unlocked or on the same network I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

do you mean a dongle or mifi?

Some providers' t&c do not allow data tethering from a handset SIM; two that do allow are Voda and EE, some 3 handset SIMs also allow. If you are of the not unreasonable opinion of "I've paid for my data so I shall use it how I deem fit," the easiest coverall is to acquire / buy a cheap Android handset unlocked to your carrier (maybe you already have one?) and install the FoxFi App and Foxfi key. The FoxFi tethering app will bypass any network-level tethering restriction, and you have your SIM in a useable handset.
    play.google.com/sto…xfi
    play.google.com/sto…key

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Some providers' t&c do not allow data tethering from a handset SIM; two … Some providers' t&c do not allow data tethering from a handset SIM; two that do allow are Voda and EE, some 3 handset SIMs also allow. If you are of the not unreasonable opinion of "I've paid for my data so I shall use it how I deem fit," the easiest coverall is to acquire / buy a cheap Android handset unlocked to your carrier (maybe you already have one?) and install the FoxFi App and Foxfi key. The FoxFi tethering app will bypass any network-level tethering restriction, and you have your SIM in a useable handset.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfihttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.key

Thanks. Is it still classed as tethering if I remove the sim from my phone and insert it into an unlocked mobile wifi device like the one i've linked above?

dinglebin

Thanks. Is it still classed as tethering if I remove the sim from my … Thanks. Is it still classed as tethering if I remove the sim from my phone and insert it into an unlocked mobile wifi device like the one i've linked above?

Are you taking about Three here? They will expressly block any SIMs that are put into a mifi device that are intended for a phone.

Other networks are fine with it - such as EE.

Original Poster

misterleoni

Are you taking about Three here? They will expressly block any SIMs that … Are you taking about Three here? They will expressly block any SIMs that are put into a mifi device that are intended for a phone. Other networks are fine with it - such as EE.

I've not chosen a particular Sim provider yet. Still looking at the best option although I've noticed that Three allow tethering on some of their sim only plans. I'm trying to establish which option provides me with the best value for money when we are away in our caravan. Is using a WIFI device more reliable than tethering? If Three provide Tethering as an option maybe I can rule out using a mobile wifi device???

The point I was trying to make is that whilst Three do allow tethering they expressly forbid placing an AYCE phone SIM into a MiFi device - probably to stop people smashing the network by using it as a permanent broadband solution.

You can use your phone in hotspot mode to make use of of your data allowance, although I think most if not all plans have a cap, even if phone data itself is unlimited.

EE will let you use any SIM in any device and might be a better option overall as they have much better coverage for 4G than any other network. Three are fine in cities but tend to fall down a bit in rural areas in my experience. Any network can be in the strangest and wildest of places but on the whole you're more likely to get decent speeds in rural areas with EE.

dinglebin

Thanks. Is it still classed as tethering if I remove the sim from my … Thanks. Is it still classed as tethering if I remove the sim from my phone and insert it into an unlocked mobile wifi device like the one i've linked above?

To answer Q: yes. Having re-read original question, it would be helpful to know what temporary network you are using and what handset you are using the SIM in as depending on your response you may not need to buy any other devices such as a mifi.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

To answer Q: yes. Having re-read original question, it would be helpful … To answer Q: yes. Having re-read original question, it would be helpful to know what temporary network you are using and what handset you are using the SIM in as depending on your response you may not need to buy any other devices such as a mifi.

Thanks, I've not selected a temp network yet (so open to suggestions as to which would be best to use given my needs). The handset I'll be using is an iphone6.

dinglebin12 h, 33 m ago

Something like …Something like thishttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00INXBW3U/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00INXBW3U&pd_rd_r=8W13V36S4G4PDC3VERS0&pd_rd_w=cxplk&pd_rd_wg=w86QN&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=G9YF1NV3E6XHEVEZ4Z7R&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

as others may have already said, this would be classed as tethering so most mobile phone sims will not allow tethering. i get away with tethering on EE, but I try to minimise use so they won't notice. i just turn my phone into a hotspot and tether that way.

dinglebin

Thanks, I've not selected a temp network yet (so open to suggestions as … Thanks, I've not selected a temp network yet (so open to suggestions as to which would be best to use given my needs). The handset I'll be using is an iphone6.

You need to find out which network has the best signal in the areas you will mainly be using it, then decide which network or MNVO to go with.

dinglebin

Thanks, I've not selected a temp network yet (so open to suggestions as … Thanks, I've not selected a temp network yet (so open to suggestions as to which would be best to use given my needs). The handset I'll be using is an iphone6.

iphone6 is capable of tethering its inclusive cellular data via its "Personal Hotspot" feature. If the SIM you are using allows tethering you would not need any other device to tether all the cellular data available from the the SIM card. Caveats include battery drain on the iphone and the amount of inclusive data available to the SIM, and if iphone is not jailbroken: a possible minor inconvenience of having to restart the hotspot after a period of xx mins of being idle.

dinglebin

General guide at kenstechtips.com/ind…rks indicates which UK networks permit tethering on its contract/SIMO and PAYG plans. Consider this info is volatile based on network operators' continuously fluid marketing pitches.

mutley1

...i get away with tethering on EE, but I try to minimise use so they … ...i get away with tethering on EE, but I try to minimise use so they won't notice...

EE states "Tethering is included in your plan as part of your data allowance" at ee.co.uk/hel…ice

There is no performance difference between stand alone MiFi Devices and HotSpot Tethering, assuming that the HotSpot Mobile device is left alone to do its job.\x0d\x0a\x0d\x0aPersonally I would stick with Vodafone or EE they dont give a monkey's what you do with your Data or how you use it on a Normal Mobile Sim.

AndyRoyd1 h, 35 m ago

EE states "Tethering is included in your plan as part of your data …EE states "Tethering is included in your plan as part of your data allowance" at http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/wifi-and-tethering/tethering-your-device

I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out.

zirk

There is no performance difference between stand alone MiFi Devices and … There is no performance difference between stand alone MiFi Devices and HotSpot Tethering, assuming that the HotSpot Mobile device is left alone to do its job.Personally I would stick with Vodafone or EE they dont give a monkey's what you do with your Data or how you use it on a Normal Mobile Sim.

I've always found that a dedicated MiFi has stronger signal than a phone under the same scenario. Not to mention you can pretty much place it anywhere you get the best signal, where if you actually want to *use* your phone at any point this isn't an option when using hotspot. A phone will also get extremely hot if used as a hotspot for a long time, so I wouldn't recommend hooking one up all day.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Superdrug weekly deals22
      2. Mayweather vs Mcgregor44
      3. cheap glasses websites11
      4. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland55

See more discussions