Sim Card Pay as You Go

Posted 1st Jul
Hi,

Looking for a SIM CARD for an elderly person she wants one where you put money on the card and it runs out when there's no money left doesn't want a contract SIM.

All help appreciated
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
You can get a pay as you go sim from any network. You can order a free sim online from the networks website. I recommend RWG as they have a free plan with 50 mins per month. No bank details required.

https://rwgmobile.wales/rates/
Edited by: "Love__Bargains" 1st Jul
1pMobile runs on EE £10 credit lasts 4 months and then you need to top up more to keep credit going.
1p text/minute/MB

moneysavingexpert.com/pho…ds/
3 is the the cheapest for that it’s 3p per mb of data 2p a min and 1p a text
J_s3101/07/2020 22:19

3 is the the cheapest for that it’s 3p per mb of data 2p a min and 1p a t …3 is the the cheapest for that it’s 3p per mb of data 2p a min and 1p a text

Not sure that's cheaper than 1p
Blueskinnedbeast01/07/2020 22:22

Oh just saw that good to know about that how do I get a sim for them until now been using 3 for one of my phones

Yeah but from what you said it sounds like the £10 credit runs out after 4 months? With 3 the credit doesn't run out until you've used it all.

This elderly person could effectively lose their £10 credit every time if they didn't use it up within 4 months.

Unless I've misunderstood what you said in which case sorry in advance

Edit: I've just followed the link you gave.

1p per mb, text or minute is amazing. But for an occasional user maybe not so good As you have to top up £10 atleast every 4 months to keep the sim active.

From MSE:
"However, you have to top up at least £10 every four months in order to keep it active, so if you only use your phone very rarely, it's probably not for you."
Edited by: "notalwaysright19" 1st Jul

It's cheaper because you only have to top up once i.e £10. Your sim is £30 a year. Get a 3 sim that comes free with 200MB pm click, top it up with £10.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 1st Jul

3 is the the cheapest for that it’s 3p per mb of data 2p a min and 1p a t …3 is the the cheapest for that it’s 3p per mb of data 2p a min and 1p a text

That 321 tariff was withdrawn from 3 PAYG voice SIMs in March 2020, but is still available on 3 freebie "Data Reward" data SIMs. Go figure.
3 network may not suit any user that is likely to use a non-smartphone.
J_s3101/07/2020 22:30

Oh just saw that good to know about that how do I get a sim for them until …Oh just saw that good to know about that how do I get a sim for them until now been using 3 for one of my phones

Www.1pmobile.com.
It has a better signal for me than 3.
I do use the top up before it finishes so works best for me.
AndyRoyd01/07/2020 22:33

That 321 tariff was withdrawn from 3 PAYG voice SIMs in March 2020, but is …That 321 tariff was withdrawn from 3 PAYG voice SIMs in March 2020, but is still available on 3 freebie "Data Reward" data SIMs. Go figure.3 network may not suit any user that is likely to use a non-smartphone.

Yes there is that issue with 3 being 3G only and not 2G. People using basic phones wouldn't be able to use it.
It works out cheaper for me as I actually use the top up.
I_Wish01/07/2020 22:31

It's cheaper because you only have to top up once i.e £10. Your sim is £30 …It's cheaper because you only have to top up once i.e £10. Your sim is £30 a year. Get a 3 sim that comes free with 200MB pm click, top it up with £10.

RWG mobile been using the sim for months never topped up and you get free mins text and data
shef007201/07/2020 23:16

RWG mobile been using the sim for months never topped up and you get free …RWG mobile been using the sim for months never topped up and you get free mins text and data

Been looking into it, but surely that won't last long as a product? It'll go the way of the much missed Ovivo and the much less missed FreedomPop. If there was any guarantee of longevity I'd gladly move my main phone to it as I don't use much more than the free allowance.
Asda mobile for 2G phones, works with 3G and 4G as well. Assuming there is EE signal in the area?

41297791-oYkgT.jpg
Three don't do PAYG any more. Their cheapest is a 10GB SIM with unlimited minutes and text which lasts for one month.

However, if you act quickly enough you can still get their International SIMs (or older 3-2-1 SIMs) in shops which are still 3p/min-2p/text-1p/MB. Minimum payment is £5 which you have to spend on every 6 months to keep the card 'alive'.
Edited by: "fablanta" 4th Jul
Thanks for this I'll try and get one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants