Sim card to use for incoming calls only that I dont have to pay anything for ?

Posted 14th Jan 2022
is that possible or would I need to put cash on it to keep it running?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
14 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Try this free sim from three. It gives 200mb free data every month & you can receive calls/texts without topping it up. If you want to make calls/texts, just top it up. Easy-peasy.

hotukdeals.com/dis…e=5
  2. Avatar
    Or something like Asda mobile. Even with £5 on it, and sending a text once a month to keep it alive, the credit should last about 10 years.
  3. Avatar
    Discogod14/01/2022 14:21

Try this free sim from three. It gives 200mb free data every month & you …Try this free sim from three. It gives 200mb free data every month & you can receive calls/texts without topping it up. If you want to make calls/texts, just top it up. Easy-peasy.https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/three-data-reward-sim-200mb-data-per-month-free-no-upfront-cost-3505570?page=5#thread-comments

Sorry pal, not free anymore. I copy my comment from another thread this morning :

"With reference to 3UK, £10 is the initial one off charge, sort of administrative charge to send out the sim card and prevent people requesting multiple free cards as before. 1gb is bundled for first month's use but then 200mb free every month after that. Text messages are only 2p each and presumably a chargeable activity has to take place at least once every six months. One could say it is almost free!"
    hotukdeals.com/dis…408
    No doubt you can receive incoming calls.
    Edited by: "bwanakuba" 14th Jan
  4. Avatar
    Cheapest everlasting SIM with no automatic disconnection is probably the RWG SIM that also provides ongoing free monthly 50mins/SMS+250MB data for one-off £5
    rwgmobile.wales/web…ata

Just send an inclusive SMS / make an inclusive call / use an inclusive 1MB data at least once every 5.999999 months to keep the SIM and the monthly allowances alive indefinitely
    (t&c qualification phrase: "...every six months...a deduction from the credit or Allowance recorded against your Account...").
  5. Avatar
    AndyRoyd14/01/2022 16:14

Cheapest everlasting SIM with no automatic disconnection is probably the …Cheapest everlasting SIM with no automatic disconnection is probably the RWG SIM that also provides ongoing free monthly 50mins/SMS+250MB data for one-off £5https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/pay-monthly-sims/free-50-mins-sms-plus-250mb-dataJust send an inclusive SMS / make an inclusive call / use an inclusive 1MB data at least once every 5.999999 months to keep the SIM and the monthly allowances alive indefinitely(t&c qualification phrase: "...every six months...a deduction from the credit or Allowance recorded against your Account...").

Wow, RWG probably a smaller provider than 3UK but certainly cheaper. Thanks for the information.
  6. Avatar
    Use a Skype number? Does mean you need to be connected to the internet however.
  7. Avatar
    BadMF14/01/2022 19:40

Use a Skype number? Does mean you need to be connected to the internet …Use a Skype number? Does mean you need to be connected to the internet however.

Doesn't the person ringing you have to be using Skype as well?
  8. Avatar
    Ive had a sim card for years - never topped it up. Keep it connected to wifi. Recieves calls fine. I only use it if it asks for a number and i dont want to give out my personal number
  9. Avatar
    bargainhunter13914/01/2022 20:33

Ive had a sim card for years - never topped it up. Keep it connected to …Ive had a sim card for years - never topped it up. Keep it connected to wifi. Recieves calls fine. I only use it if it asks for a number and i dont want to give out my personal number

You have a sim card but why do you need to have it connected to WiFi and receive calls? I don't understand, can you please explain? Tia.
  10. Avatar
    bwanakuba14/01/2022 20:40

You have a sim card but why do you need to have it connected to WiFi and …You have a sim card but why do you need to have it connected to WiFi and receive calls? I don't understand, can you please explain? Tia.

Because ive never topped it up. I just leave it on wifi in the house. Send the odd wats app now and again which needs to be connectes to data hence the wifi.
  11. Avatar
    bargainhunter13914/01/2022 20:46

Because ive never topped it up. I just leave it on wifi in the house. Send …Because ive never topped it up. I just leave it on wifi in the house. Send the odd wats app now and again which needs to be connectes to data hence the wifi.

Get it now, I was confused because you didn't mention WhatsApp first
  12. Avatar
    bwanakuba14/01/2022 20:20

Doesn't the person ringing you have to be using Skype as well?

No, it’s gets routed through a switchboard of sorts and connects to the app on your phone. More info and a better description on their website.
  13. Avatar
    BadMF14/01/2022 21:54

No, it’s gets routed through a switchboard of sorts and connects to the a …No, it’s gets routed through a switchboard of sorts and connects to the app on your phone. More info and a better description on their website.

Sorry to labour this point. You mean have a dedicated Skype number which you have to buy and I thought OP was trying to save money!
  14. Avatar
    bwanakuba14/01/2022 22:02

Sorry to labour this point. You mean have a dedicated Skype number which …Sorry to labour this point. You mean have a dedicated Skype number which you have to buy and I thought OP was trying to save money!

You definitely don’t need to buy a dedicated number, you get one for free when you set it up. At least I did when I last used it.

Worth checking the website for the cold hard facts than relying on something I remember from a few years ago.
Post a comment
Top Merchants