Sim card tray not Eject!-- Samsung refused to repair it!

Found 3rd Jan
Bought a Samsung S8 one month ago (through carphone warehouse) but now the sim card tray can't come out! (it doesn't move at all and no click sound). To solve the prob quickly, I went to Samsung repair center directly rather than go to the retailer. But was told that the release system is broken and is not under their warranty (i need to replace the whole frame and screen myself to get it out!)! I then called the customer service but useless.

This is really unacceptable! First, I used the tray by a standard way. I did feel the tray tight and hard to take out when I first used it, but I didnt think of too much as i never had any such prob with other phones. Second, despite the tightness, the tray got in the phone successfully when I changed the sim. But after 10 days when I tried to swap back the old sim, it's not working any more. That said, the prob happened as I normally used it (no damage, no drop off, no hard hit...just like how everyone treats their new phones).

I am so disappointed with Samsung and think the tray mechanism is defective and the phone is of poor quality. How can Samsung attribute it to customer's fault just because I have to use it after purchasing (by a normal standard)? I bought a phone not a piece of paper which is so easy to break!

Another sign of poor quality is that: before my phone case arrived I left the phone in my pocket, together with some coins. But when i arrived in office, i found the silver edge was scratched by the frictions with coins... Never happened to other phone either!

Could someone pls tell me what I should do next? I now have to use an overseas sim card which cant be taken out! I can't accept Samsung's response and decide to escalate it if necessary. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot!
Community Updates
AskElectronics
15 Comments
I would have gone back to Carphone Warehouse. Manufacturers are very hit and miss and will take the warrenty word by word. I found that out by going back to EE rather than LG for my Nexus 5x. My phone took 2 days to repair while others were taking months. Dont explian to carphone you went to samsung, just tell them the story there
You got fobbed off to put it bluntly. Needs a lot of force to eject the SIM holder but unless you've completely mashed it you should be fine.

Also your 1st port of call is with car phone and not Samsung.
Edited by: "kester76" 3rd Jan
Thanks guys! I went to samsung directly because was told by carphone warehouse that they will send it to Samsung as well and it's saved me a lot of time if I could go there directly... It will take 14-28 days if through the retailer and it's uncertain if they can warrant it...
You should go to CPW. When you say you bought it a month ago, if it is less than 30 days you have the right to reject for a refund. From 30 days to 6 months, the onus is on the supplier to prove the fault wasn't inherent.

You do not have these rights with the manufacturer.
Should of bought an iPhone :P
stellawang318 m ago

Thanks guys! I went to samsung directly because was told by carphone …Thanks guys! I went to samsung directly because was told by carphone warehouse that they will send it to Samsung as well and it's saved me a lot of time if I could go there directly... It will take 14-28 days if through the retailer and it's uncertain if they can warrant it...

difference is if you send it directly to the manufacturer and it goes missing you're responsible. I'd rather drop it off at the retailer and let the liability be with them.
it sounds like they are saying that the damage is caused by the user and not a manufacturing defect. this was probably because they could see the damage on the phone from the coins that you describe and that you had told them you had a foreign sim in the phone.

when i was on holiday, i got a foreign sim cut to size to fit my phone, so they are probably saying that the foreign sim may have been cut too big for the slot and was forced in. as the phone looked like it has been knocked about even though you have only owned it for one month, they have concluded user damage.

you could try CPW and see if you get a better response.
mutley136 m ago

it sounds like they are saying that the damage is caused by the user and …it sounds like they are saying that the damage is caused by the user and not a manufacturing defect. this was probably because they could see the damage on the phone from the coins that you describe and that you had told them you had a foreign sim in the phone.when i was on holiday, i got a foreign sim cut to size to fit my phone, so they are probably saying that the foreign sim may have been cut too big for the slot and was forced in. as the phone looked like it has been knocked about even though you have only owned it for one month, they have concluded user damage.you could try CPW and see if you get a better response.

Tvm. The scratch happended in the first few days and then I had a case. I can change the sim after that. The overseas Sim is a standard one (I tried at home and took it out and when landing abroad I changed it again). I did feel hard to push the tray out after receiving the phone but didnt expect it to break... Seems this phone is too sutble and fragile which needs extra care.
when taking things back, don't give out much info, just say give the receipts and point out too. the dodgy bit and say it faulty, there then do there own checks, however with phones it help for it to be in good condition, no signs of droppage, or there quick to blame
Pop it to carphone warehouse and just say you changed the sim over a couple of times, it was hard to get the tray out to begin with but you managed it and now it won't budge. Don't mention you've spoken to Samsung. Just be casual like you're asking for their help to get it out, be polite and they should sort it.
I had massive issues with the sim tray on my Samsung s7. Sim card kept sliding about so phone wouldn't register there was a card in, sometimes the tray would get stuck, sometimes it'd fall out when I didn't touch it! Took it back to o2 and they replaced the handset
lilymac11 m ago

Pop it to carphone warehouse and just say you changed the sim over a …Pop it to carphone warehouse and just say you changed the sim over a couple of times, it was hard to get the tray out to begin with but you managed it and now it won't budge. Don't mention you've spoken to Samsung. Just be casual like you're asking for their help to get it out, be polite and they should sort it.I had massive issues with the sim tray on my Samsung s7. Sim card kept sliding about so phone wouldn't register there was a card in, sometimes the tray would get stuck, sometimes it'd fall out when I didn't touch it! Took it back to o2 and they replaced the handset

Don't tell them you changed it over a couple of times, just say it won't open. They won't know how many times you tried and To be honest it doesn't matter, the phone it's faulty and not suitable for the purpose it was sold for.
stellawang348 m ago

Tvm. The scratch happended in the first few days and then I had a case. I …Tvm. The scratch happended in the first few days and then I had a case. I can change the sim after that. The overseas Sim is a standard one (I tried at home and took it out and when landing abroad I changed it again). I did feel hard to push the tray out after receiving the phone but didnt expect it to break... Seems this phone is too sutble and fragile which needs extra care.

your problem will be that when it gets to the repair centre, you won't have an opportunity to explain about the damage from the coins so they think this phone has been knocked around, contributing to the sim slot damage.

they will think that the sim being foreign was cut to size incorrectly, contributing to the slot being stuck.

they may choose not to believe you regardless of what the background is as their view of how the sim may have got stuck is not unbelievable. i am not saying that they are right, but this is how it may look to them.

your contract is with the supplier, CPW, so go to them and wait to see what happens. Although it will get sent to samsung, it may go to a different repair centre or different repair person. they may also have more lenient views if it comes from a big retailer like CPW.

then you will have a long wait from what you say to hear of the decision. if same answer, then you can go down the complaint route, where you will have a chance to tell them what happened to the phone and that you have been able to change the sim without any issue until now.

i don't know what CPW customer service is like, but large retailers tend to have a more understanding customer service department than manufacturers.
lilymac5 h, 5 m ago

Pop it to carphone warehouse and just say you changed the sim over a …Pop it to carphone warehouse and just say you changed the sim over a couple of times, it was hard to get the tray out to begin with but you managed it and now it won't budge. Don't mention you've spoken to Samsung. Just be casual like you're asking for their help to get it out, be polite and they should sort it.I had massive issues with the sim tray on my Samsung s7. Sim card kept sliding about so phone wouldn't register there was a card in, sometimes the tray would get stuck, sometimes it'd fall out when I didn't touch it! Took it back to o2 and they replaced the handset

thank you!
mutley14 h, 27 m ago

your problem will be that when it gets to the repair centre, you won't …your problem will be that when it gets to the repair centre, you won't have an opportunity to explain about the damage from the coins so they think this phone has been knocked around, contributing to the sim slot damage.they will think that the sim being foreign was cut to size incorrectly, contributing to the slot being stuck.they may choose not to believe you regardless of what the background is as their view of how the sim may have got stuck is not unbelievable. i am not saying that they are right, but this is how it may look to them.your contract is with the supplier, CPW, so go to them and wait to see what happens. Although it will get sent to samsung, it may go to a different repair centre or different repair person. they may also have more lenient views if it comes from a big retailer like CPW.then you will have a long wait from what you say to hear of the decision. if same answer, then you can go down the complaint route, where you will have a chance to tell them what happened to the phone and that you have been able to change the sim without any issue until now.i don't know what CPW customer service is like, but large retailers tend to have a more understanding customer service department than manufacturers.

very useful. thanks.
very bad luck, cpw refused to help me ask samsung to repair it as they believe samsung will refuse it for the reason of a physical damage (samsung only accepted it if there is click sound but tray doesn't come out).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants