Sim card with long credit

Found 18th AprEdited by:"Joey.Bloggsy"
I got a GSM alarm which needs a sim to put inside it so it can ring my mobile.
I'm looking for one that will hold its credit for as long as possible without the need to make a call.

Any help please, thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
1p Mobile, a £50 top-up will apparently mean that your SIM will stay active for 600 days.

charges: 1p per min/sms/MB
applied top-up balance remains available for the lifetime of the SIM card

- Top up by £10 and your next top-up won't be due for another 120 days
- Top up by £15 and your next top-up won't be due for another 180 days
- Top up by £20 and your next top-up won't be due for another 240 days
- Top up by £30 and your next top-up won't be due for another 360 days
- Top up by £40 and your next top-up won't be due for another 480 days
- Top up by £50 and your next top-up won't be due for another 600 days

If you don't top-up by your next top-up due date, then we deem that you no longer wish to use 1pMobile as your mobile provider and your service will be cancelled.

We will send you email reminders two weeks before and 48 hours before your next top-up is due. You can also see when your next top-up is due in your account area.

For peace of mind you can set up auto-top-ups that occur either when your phone balance reaches £2 or on your top-up due date. See the top-ups section inside your account area.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 18th Apr
Three's 321 sim. three.co.uk/Sto…_Go
No expiry, just need to use it once every six months.
I'm thinking of getting one for a car tracker, when I get my new car.
I've got a pile of EE sims with a couple of quid credit on each. Happy to send you one if you like? Will save you topping up then, for a while at least.
Beebee181 h, 45 m ago

Three's 321 sim. https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_GoNo expiry, …Three's 321 sim. https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_GoNo expiry, just need to use it once every six months. I'm thinking of getting one for a car tracker, when I get my new car.

Can't be used with 2G devices though, which rules out cheaper trackers and older alarm gsm modules.
SUMMONER4 h, 42 m ago

1p Mobile, a £50 top-up will apparently mean that your SIM will stay …1p Mobile, a £50 top-up will apparently mean that your SIM will stay active for 600 days.charges: 1p per min/sms/MB..

That is ridiculously expensive for applications of near-zero use such as OP. Compare to o2 Classic PAYG 3p/2p/1p requiring one chargeable item every 6months, so £10 can last 166 years assuming one "test the system is working" call is made every 6 months.
And if the alarm system is flexible enough and the terminating number has signal and reasonable ring time prior to any voicemail or divert, alarms can be notified at zero cost by xx number of rings / missed call.
£2.50 a month seems like a fair price for peace of mind and ease of use to me, but yeah there are always cheaper options.

That said, a proper alarm box/gps tracker SIM card costs ~ £1 a month (or more) to keep it alive and carries excessively high charges for the actual SMS/voice calls.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 19th Apr
melted6 h, 9 m ago

Can't be used with 2G devices though, which rules out cheaper trackers and …Can't be used with 2G devices though, which rules out cheaper trackers and older alarm gsm modules.

Could you please link to where it states this, as I could see no mention of it.
Thanks for all the replies

I'll have a think about all the suggestions.

@BeerMeister that's a generous offer and thank you but I don't really want to open the box and change sim card that often.

The cheapest 6 month length seems to be the best option so far.
I put a EE sim in my tracker, I went for this as EE has the better signal generally. If its to track a vehicle (mine is on my motorbike) then you dont have to go far out of the suburbs to loose the signal on cheaper sims.
Personally I'd want my alarm to test call me at least every month.

I have my own alarm text me every 7 days, gives me piece of mind that if the inevitable happened I'd know about it. I use a Giffgaff PAYG sim, put £10 credit on it years ago and still working fine.

As someone else mention above most alarms (if not all) will only work with a 2G sim so that rules out Three as a provider.
paulj482 h, 19 m ago

Personally I'd want my alarm to test call me at least every month. I have …Personally I'd want my alarm to test call me at least every month. I have my own alarm text me every 7 days, gives me piece of mind that if the inevitable happened I'd know about it. I use a Giffgaff PAYG sim, put £10 credit on it years ago and still working fine.As someone else mention above most alarms (if not all) will only work with a 2G sim so that rules out Three as a provider.

Looking at it I'm leaning towards Giffgaff.
Although I thought text wasn't enough and that you had to make a phone call?

btw 123thisism its for the garage
Edited by: "Joey.Bloggsy" 19th Apr
Joey.Bloggsy53 m ago

Looking at it I'm leaning towards Giffgaff.Although I thought text wasn't …Looking at it I'm leaning towards Giffgaff.Although I thought text wasn't enough and that you had to make a phone call?btw 123thisism its for the garage

To keep a sim active in the UK I always thought it needs to be use once every 6 months, a text will suffice. We have some vehicle trackers at work that text only and they have standard sim cards and never expire.
paulj4818 m ago

To keep a sim active in the UK I always thought it needs to be use once …To keep a sim active in the UK I always thought it needs to be use once every 6 months, a text will suffice. We have some vehicle trackers at work that text only and they have standard sim cards and never expire.

Ordered a giffgaff sim, thanks to all who contributed
Beebee1817 h, 50 m ago

Could you please link to where it states this, as I could see no mention …Could you please link to where it states this, as I could see no mention of it.

Sure:- support.three.co.uk/SRV…07)

"Checking your phone is 3G.

To join our network you'll need to make sure that your phone is 3G. Three SIMs will only work in 3G phones.To check if your phone is 3G, text 'Mobile' to 78333.

You won't be charged for this service."

I believe O2 pay as you go now have similar prices to 3, so might be an alternative, although when I was with them some years ago they disabled my sim after only about 3 to 4 months of not making a call.
Edited by: "melted" 20th Apr
melted8 h, 24 m ago

Sure:- …Sure:- http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.dll/,/?New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=CaseDoc,Case=Obj(6207)"Checking your phone is 3G.To join our network you'll need to make sure that your phone is 3G. Three SIMs will only work in 3G phones.To check if your phone is 3G, text 'Mobile' to 78333.You won't be charged for this service."I believe O2 pay as you go now have similar prices to 3, so might be an alternative, although when I was with them some years ago they disabled my sim after only about 3 to 4 months of not making a call.

Thanks @melted for the link. Although there's talk on the internet about three not working on 2G phones, I couldn't see anything on their website. I'm having the same problem with giffgaff, it does state that it will work on 3G phones but it doesn't mention 2G. Would like to know if giffgaff works on 2G phones.
paulj4817 h, 8 m ago

To keep a sim active in the UK I always thought it needs to be use once …To keep a sim active in the UK I always thought it needs to be use once every 6 months, a text will suffice. We have some vehicle trackers at work that text only and they have standard sim cards and never expire.

What network are the sims for the vehicle trackers on?
Just so members know and maybe be able to help re a suitable network, this is the tracker I am interested in amazon.co.uk/dp/…_it
Edited by: "Beebee18" 20th Apr
Beebee1849 m ago

What network are the sims for the vehicle trackers on?Just so members know …What network are the sims for the vehicle trackers on?Just so members know and maybe be able to help re a suitable network, this is the tracker I am interested in https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KX9HFWI/?coliid=I2Z5ME1XCVS2XR&colid=1EY9O5CJVMAZ1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Theyre roaming sims so connect to the network with the best signal in the area.
Edited by: "paulj48" 20th Apr
paulj481 h, 51 m ago

Theyre roaming sims so connect to the network with the best signal in the …Theyre roaming sims so connect to the network with the best signal in the area.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure if it's me that doesn't understand your reply, or you not understanding my question . I mean, to what supplier do the sims belong i.e. 02, Virgin, Three etc. Could I purchase one? or are they special sims for companies only? Or am I so missing the point.
Beebee1834 m ago

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure if it's me that doesn't understand …Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure if it's me that doesn't understand your reply, or you not understanding my question . I mean, to what supplier do the sims belong i.e. 02, Virgin, Three etc. Could I purchase one? or are they special sims for companies only? Or am I so missing the point.

They're a sim that can connect to any network and not supplied from the operator. This type of sim is required for tracking purposes otherwise what would happen if your vehicle travelled outside the operators network? it would work.

We got ours from Trackershop UK
paulj481 h, 1 m ago

They're a sim that can connect to any network and not supplied from the …They're a sim that can connect to any network and not supplied from the operator. This type of sim is required for tracking purposes otherwise what would happen if your vehicle travelled outside the operators network? it would work.We got ours from Trackershop UK

Thank's for the info. It's a bit overkill for my needs, but still worth knowing, the car I'm getting is not likely to be stolen, it's more for peace of mind, hence the cheap tracker.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions