Sim only or phone contract

Posted 2nd May
Would people still agree that the cheapest way of getting a new phone is to go sim only? And pay for the phone out right. I’m with Vodafone at the moment paying £22 something a month and nearly finishing my Apple upgrade contract, stupidly I went for the annual upgrade one when I didn’t need to, I have had my iPhone XS Max for for two years in October. Interested in peoples opinions.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
There are occasions, particularly with deals on here, where the contract and phone is cheaper.

Most of the time it’s better to buy the phone outright then shop around for sim only.

Also don’t feel obligated to change your phone every 2 years. It’s a mindset retailers have created to make you think that’s a standard review time, but if it’s still working fine what’s the point? They haven’t reinvented much recently.
18 Comments
I’ve had same phone for two years in Oct too - i believe sim only and outright is cheaper by at least 100-200£
There are occasions, particularly with deals on here, where the contract and phone is cheaper.

Most of the time it’s better to buy the phone outright then shop around for sim only.

Also don’t feel obligated to change your phone every 2 years. It’s a mindset retailers have created to make you think that’s a standard review time, but if it’s still working fine what’s the point? They haven’t reinvented much recently.
I always go sim only, but I'm happy finding a phone from ebay that someone has looked after well for max £200 IF I feel I need to change it, but i'm an occasional phone user.

If you use your phone a lot, then just work it out over the contract length. There used to be some stonking deals but I never look anymore as the phones are much better now then 10 yrs ago.

If you're happy with the iphone, got sim only when you can after that and shop around for it. I use sky for £6 a month and the data rolls over if not using it, so my 2gb a month keeps totting up, i got 35gb spare in the bank... that could be shared with family if anyone else in my family needed it.
I think the answer is it varies.

Take the best contract deal total paid over 2 years including any up front costs. Compare that with the best sim only deal plus the phone cost.

There could also be very little difference over the 2 years etc so I viewed it as a convenience having the contract as I didn't have to shell out the money up front for the phone. Last time I did it the contract was only £50 more expensive so I just looked at that like an interest for paying it off over time.

You may find some great deals on contracts as some of the phones will be seen as luxury items a lot of people can't afford at the minute.
It depends how you look at it.

My hubby was going to get a sim only £16 a month unlimited evertything.
but he went for iphone 11 64gb. £36.75 a month + £50 upfront

iphone 11 is costing him £548 over the 2 years
Sim only then bought my phone off O2 shop,the refurbished ones.Theyre new anyway not a mark on them just don't come with accessories or original box.
Deleted_02/05/2020 11:35

It depends how you look at it. My hubby was going to get a sim only £16 a …It depends how you look at it. My hubby was going to get a sim only £16 a month unlimited evertything. but he went for iphone 11 64gb. £36.75 a month + £50 upfrontiphone 11 is costing him £548 over the 2 years

I think your sums are wrong......£36.75pm over two years is £882 plus the £50 up front comes to a total of £932

Phones are now getting to the point where they are what they are. What does the latest one give you over, say a two year old one? A slightly better camera maybe, a slightly faster processor?

There are some great and very cheap sim only deals out there. I always had a contract with Voda for years. Had the latest phones but the monthly price went up and up. I then cut the tie and went sim only keeping my phone and now pay £5pm with Sky for unlimited calls, texts and 8GB data.

Imo, buy a phone and then a sim only deal is the way to go.
imavillan02/05/2020 12:47

I think your sums are wrong......£36.75pm over two years is £882 plus the £ …I think your sums are wrong......£36.75pm over two years is £882 plus the £50 up front comes to a total of £932Phones are now getting to the point where they are what they are. What does the latest one give you over, say a two year old one? A slightly better camera maybe, a slightly faster processor?There are some great and very cheap sim only deals out there. I always had a contract with Voda for years. Had the latest phones but the monthly price went up and up. I then cut the tie and went sim only keeping my phone and now pay £5pm with Sky for unlimited calls, texts and 8GB data. Imo, buy a phone and then a sim only deal is the way to go.

How is my sums wrong? Or isnt maths your strong point??

its not £36.75 x 24 though is it? Thats for the overall cost of contract.

I was on about the cost of the iphone

£16 x 24 = £384 sim only
£36.75 - £16 = £20.75

£20.75 x 24 = £498 + £50 up front cost = £548 for the cost of the iphone!!!!
donny126602/05/2020 07:43

There are occasions, particularly with deals on here, where the contract …There are occasions, particularly with deals on here, where the contract and phone is cheaper. Most of the time it’s better to buy the phone outright then shop around for sim only. Also don’t feel obligated to change your phone every 2 years. It’s a mindset retailers have created to make you think that’s a standard review time, but if it’s still working fine what’s the point? They haven’t reinvented much recently.

This is good advice. Retailers are incentivised to sell phones on contract and hence the mind games on upgrades. In my own experience, there is nothing that I do on my phone that requires an upgrade every two years (not a game player).
Deleted_02/05/2020 13:01

How is my sums wrong? Or isnt maths your strong point??its not £36.75 x 24 …How is my sums wrong? Or isnt maths your strong point??its not £36.75 x 24 though is it? Thats for the overall cost of contract. I was on about the cost of the iphone£16 x 24 = £384 sim only £36.75 - £16 = £20.75 £20.75 x 24 = £498 + £50 up front cost = £548 for the cost of the iphone!!!!

your post is not clear then !!!

quote 'My hubby was going to get a sim only £16 a month unlimited evertything.
but he went for iphone 11 64gb. £36.75 a month + £50 upfront'

'iphone 11 is costing him £548 over the 2 years'

In bold - he went for the iPhone 11 64gb. £36.75 a month + £50 upfront
That comes to £932 for two years. Thats what he'll be paying at those rates.
Edited by: "imavillan" 2nd May
imavillan02/05/2020 13:13

your post is not clear then !!!quote 'My hubby was going to get a sim only …your post is not clear then !!!quote 'My hubby was going to get a sim only £16 a month unlimited evertything.but he went for iphone 11 64gb. £36.75 a month + £50 upfront''iphone 11 is costing him £548 over the 2 years'In bold - he went for the iPhone 11 64gb. £36.75 a month + £50 upfrontThat comes to £932 for two years. Thats what he'll be paying at those rates.

Yes my post is clear i said the IPHONE is costing him £548 over 2 years. Not the contract. Wind your neck in.
it's as clear as mud
and no you didn't and no i won't.
imavillan02/05/2020 13:23

it's as clear as mudand no you didn't and no i won't.

40613903-wsYGV.jpgSo do you need glasses as well?? Clearly states iphone 11 is costing him £548 over 2 years. Doesnt say the contract is costing him £548 over 2 years.

anyone with an ounce of common sense would no that.

got nothing better to to than be a troll??
Edited by: "Deleted_" 2nd May
but the phone is coming with a contract, therefore the cost is 932.

its really that simple

go look for some more bargains

have a nice day
imavillan02/05/2020 13:34

but the phone is coming with a contract, therefore the cost is 932.its …but the phone is coming with a contract, therefore the cost is 932.its really that simple go look for some more bargainshave a nice day

You need help! your sad.

if he was going to pay £16 for a sim only contract thats £384

he pays an extra £20.75 and gets himself a new iphone (£50 upfront for £548)

yes, i get the overall cost of the CONTRACT is £932 over 2 years but im not on about the CONTRACT. Im on about the cost of the IPHONE!!!

he gets a new iphone for £548 as he was going to pay £16 for a sim only!! How is that so hard to work out. Even iff my original post it doesnt take a genius to work that out
Edited by: "Deleted_" 2nd May
You need help! your sad.

If you say so. Thanks, but It's you're.
imavillan02/05/2020 12:47

...What does the latest one give you over, say a two year old one? A …...What does the latest one give you over, say a two year old one? A slightly better camera maybe, a slightly faster processor?

A battery with some usable capacity.
In a contract, they reduce the sim price (not the phone) so it looks like you are getting less for you’re phone when in reality you are paying more. When buying it if you look closely to the details you will see.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions