Groups

Simple bicyle question - gears

Hi all.

Just looking to buy my daughter a bike - found a cheap one, but it has gears.

So, can the gears be ignored, or do you HAVE to use them to ride the bike (as in, can I just set it to one gear and she will be fine)?

Thanks!

9 Comments

You could maybe get away with it if you set it to a middle gear so its not too heavy or light to peddle.

If its just for going on flat grounds then it should be fine. If its hilly then using gears would help.

you can just get away with one gear if she is young enough our lads bike (he's 6) was ten speed so we found the best gear for him to use and removed the gear selector mechanisms and shortened the chain, they can be put back on then when he is competent enough to use them.

Original Poster

Toybhoy;5009586

You could maybe get away with it if you set it to a middle gear so its … You could maybe get away with it if you set it to a middle gear so its not too heavy or light to peddle. If its just for going on flat grounds then it should be fine. If its hilly then using gears would help.

harlzter;5009589

you can just get away with one gear if she is young enough our lads bike … you can just get away with one gear if she is young enough our lads bike (he's 6) was ten speed so we found the best gear for him to use and removed the gear selector mechanisms and shortened the chain, they can be put back on then when he is competent enough to use them.

Thanks guys. Can't be doing with shortening the chain and that but she will just be using the bike in our communal garden and the odd ride to the park, so was hoping we could get away with the gears

You do NOT need to use the gears - so if the bikes a bargain go for it!
    No need to shorten chain etc, just select the most comfortable gear and leave it that way.

Leave it in the lowest gear - not only will it always be easier to start off, but it'll be harder to reach a higher speed and therefore reduce the chance of injury...

Xb0xGuru;5010159

Leave it in the lowest gear - not only will it always be easier to start … Leave it in the lowest gear - not only will it always be easier to start off, but it'll be harder to reach a higher speed and therefore reduce the chance of injury...

Disagree. The lowest gear will spin out like crazy especially in just a slight (5 - 10 degrees) decline and could actually be dangerous.

I would leave it somewhere comfortable in the middle

Toybhoy;5010650

Disagree. The lowest gear will spin out like crazy especially in just a … Disagree. The lowest gear will spin out like crazy especially in just a slight (5 - 10 degrees) decline and could actually be dangerous. I would leave it somewhere comfortable in the middle

Sorry, you're right - I wasn't thinking about an 18/21/24 speed bike!

I'd still set the chain on the lowest gear for the rear set, but leave the front part of the chain on the middle cog.

I will say however that if you're on a 10 degree decline, you shouldn't really be encouraging a kid to pedal at all....

How old is your daughter, and why don't you want her to use the gears. If they are there, then they would be suitable for her age surely?

If it's there, then it will be moved, so I would teach her how to use them.

Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone.

My original budget was about £80, but then I couldn't find anything I was quite happy with so I was looking at buying her a Raleigh 'Krush' for £139.99 but it just seems so much money when it isn't going to get any serious use, just park and the front garden.
    Was looking on the net again today and happened to see a Bratz 20" bike from Halfords for £68! So, I will be happy with the price and she will be happy with the design, as well as the fact that the bike will be ready assembled for me. I can't find any reviews on it but I am confident it will be fine for what it's going to get used for

thesaint;5011265

How old is your daughter, and why don't you want her to use the gears. … How old is your daughter, and why don't you want her to use the gears. If they are there, then they would be suitable for her age surely?If it's there, then it will be moved, so I would teach her how to use them.

My daughter is nearly 7 but is tall for her age, that's why I may as well get the 20" which will last longer. I will teach her how to use the gears, but am not sure if she can manage them straightaway. Also, just want a bike for her to knock around on in the garden mainly, so thought the gears might be a bit of an aggravation.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      4. love affairs912

See more discussions