simple but practical tablet for grandmother?

Found 12th Jan 2015
Looking to buy a tablet. Can someone recommend a brand?

Are apples easier to use for a complete beginner?
The main purpose is for viewing photos or videos. Maybe for Skype.
Thanks for any input!

1. Ask
  2. Tablet
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Tablet
16 Comments

Tesco Hudl 2.

iPad, get one for yourself too - Facetime is so much better than Skype. My 70+ mother-in-law took to iPad like a duck to water. You can do Skype on the iPad if you need dial out to PSTN.

Edited by: "john52" 12th Jan 2015

Original Poster

Thank you,
Is facetime free like skype?
I was not sure if the quality is good enough to skype.

john52

iPad, get one for yourself too - Facetime is so much better than Skype. … iPad, get one for yourself too - Facetime is so much better than Skype. My 70+ mother-in-law took to iPad like a duck to water. You can do Skype on the iPad if you need dial out to PSTN.

kindle , my daughter 7 year old has no problems with using and abusing it.

Thank you,Is facetime free like skype?I was not sure if the quality is … Thank you,Is facetime free like skype?I was not sure if the quality is good enough to skype.

Is Facetime free like skype?
Yes but it is only between Apple devices. MacBook, iPhone and iPad can all connect between each other.

Quality of what, broadband?
I know a few people who have problems with BT Infinity but I think that is the router/service, nothing to do with Facetime.

norville555

kindle , my daughter 7 year old has no problems with using and abusing … kindle , my daughter 7 year old has no problems with using and abusing it.

can you get skype on kindle

As a grandmother I can thoroughly recommend the Nexus 7. Easy to use and perfect for Skype

Original Poster

Thank you!

Thank you!

86 year old grandmother loves her ipad, keeping in touch and even shopping online, oh and playing candy crush

I will probably get called for this, but I would avoid Android tablets. They can be a little fiddly.

Something that is packaged nicely for a consumer, such as the Hudl 2 or Kindle Fire, would be easier for a granny to get to grips with.

I would however recommend an iPad, especially if you have one yourself. They are very easy to use and I think your gran would love it.

Go for something mid-range. I've found slow systems to be less tolerated by beginners, when you don't know how long something is supposed to take having a half second delay before it happens is jarring.

Equally, there's no point going for a luxury all-aluminium device with all bells and whistles. Anyone who's avoided it for this long has no interest in technology for it's own sake.

Original Poster

Thanks so far. I heard the ipads are easier to use for complete beginners.
How about a windows tablet?

My mum's in her 60s, and I worried too about how she'd get on with Android. I think if your grandmother has someone happy to guide her and get her used to her tablet, as I did, she should be fine.

Mum mainly uses hers for Facebook, Skype, emails, a little browsing.

Something like this, I have one of these, it is a doddle to use, it has a built in tutorial as well.

Great value as well.

Under 70 quid delivered.

ebuyer.com/629…281

My gran (77) loves her iPad.

ipad
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?32
    2. Driving anxiety.1517
    3. Xbox Newbie34