Groups

Simple way to improve the display from your Wii!

I'm sure many people are already aware of this but alot may not know that ditching the scart lead that comes with the Wii in favour of a Component lead makes a dramatic difference to the picture quality. I didn't realise what a difference swapping cables would make but the increased detail and clarity is a big improvement.

Don't bother paying the £20+ for the official Nintendo lead, mine cost £6 delivered from Amazon and works perfectly.

29 Comments

my wii wont play on my downstairs tv, i cant get the wii 3 pronged adapter to fit in my ty scart hole cos its bigger than a normal scart and the stand gets in the way, it works on all other tvs in the house, would this solve the problem?

have you got a link for that lead from amazon please?

Original Poster

rockerfella20;4044525

my wii wont play on my downstairs tv, i cant get the wii 3 pronged … my wii wont play on my downstairs tv, i cant get the wii 3 pronged adapter to fit in my ty scart hole cos its bigger than a normal scart and the stand gets in the way, it works on all other tvs in the house, would this solve the problem?

It would if your TV has component inputs.

is that the colored plugs?

Original Poster

This is the one I bought.
    ]http//ww…1-2

rockerfella20;4044602

3 plugs and then two more (red and white) for the sound

Original Poster

rockerfella20;4044602

Yep you should have Red, Green and Blue sockets with another red and a white socket (5 in total).

Original Poster

I wasn't that impressed with the picture at first..... but then I realised I had to set the display to component on the Wii menu!

supergoose;4044733

Yep you should have Red, Green and Blue sockets with another red and a … Yep you should have Red, Green and Blue sockets with another red and a white socket (5 in total).

I will check that in the morning, i know when i try to put the red white and yellow in they didnt work but there was quite a few extra coloured holes so that might be the job, I have sky plus, would this affect it? cheers.

Banned

call me dim, but my thing that fits inot the scart only has three holes, so where do you put the other two :oops:

Original Poster

sassie;4044917

call me dim, but my thing that fits inot the scart only has three holes, … call me dim, but my thing that fits inot the scart only has three holes, so where do you put the other two :oops:

You don't use the scart block (thing that fits into the scart socket). If your TV has component inputs, and most modern TV's do, it will have the 5 coloured sockets to match the component cable shown in the amazon link above.

Banned

supergoose;4045089

You don't use the scart block (thing that fits into the scart socket). If … You don't use the scart block (thing that fits into the scart socket). If your TV has component inputs, and most modern TV's do, it will have the 5 coloured sockets to match the component cable shown in the amazon link above.

what ya trying to say, my tv is outta the arc :w00t:

MInes always been plugged in this way - much better

Banned

bellabonkers;4045105

MInes always been plugged in this way - much better

wow bella you got a posh tv

Original Poster

rockerfella20;4044892

I will check that in the morning, i know when i try to put the red white … I will check that in the morning, i know when i try to put the red white and yellow in they didnt work but there was quite a few extra coloured holes so that might be the job, I have sky plus, would this affect it? cheers.

Your Sky plus is probably connected via a scart lead so no it won't effect it. Your existing Wii cable won't work with your component connections.

sassie;4045122

wow bella you got a posh tv

ermmm you know what...ive never bought a telly in my life I got given it.

supergoose;4045125

Your Sky plus is probably connected via a scart lead so no it won't … Your Sky plus is probably connected via a scart lead so no it won't effect it. Your existing Wii cable won't work with your component connections.

yeh it doesnt, so you recon one of these will do the job?

Banned

bellabonkers;4045146

ermmm you know what...ive never bought a telly in my life I got given it.

oh you lucky thing you, mine is pretty old, its massive at the back

Original Poster

rockerfella20;4045160

yeh it doesnt, so you recon one of these will do the job?

Yes and you'll get a far better picture too. Just remember to alter the Wii display settings to 'Component' once you connected it.

Original Poster

sassie;4045102

what ya trying to say, my tv is outta the arc :w00t:

Is this your TV?
    http://www.bradschwede.com/images/old_tv.jpg

Banned

pmsl goose, it aint that big

Original Poster

sassie;4045287

pmsl goose, it aint that big

Right, I've found it!
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Braun_HF_1.jpg/458px-Braun_HF_1.jpg

just checked my ports, i have a blue, green, yellow, red, white, white, red, red left to right in that order. do you think i should go for that then?

Original Poster

rockerfella20;4054357

just checked my ports, i have a blue, green, yellow, red, white, white, … just checked my ports, i have a blue, green, yellow, red, white, white, red, red left to right in that order. do you think i should go for that then?

Yes, go for it! You need the Red, Blue, Green (all three are Video) and the Red and White sockets (both of which are for Sound).

Let me know how you get on.

supergoose;4055919

Yes, go for it! You need the Red, Blue, Green (all three are Video) and … Yes, go for it! You need the Red, Blue, Green (all three are Video) and the Red and White sockets (both of which are for Sound).Let me know how you get on.

ordered one yesterday, will let you know when it arrives! cheers.

I have my Wii running through this component cable that I bought from Deal Extreme - works out at less than £3.50 delivered - get a great picture quality too............:thumbsup:

]http//ww…256

arghh, cable arrived last week still cant get the ruddy thing to work! think it might have something to do with the tv. its a vistron, either that or it has something to do with sky plus or something?

sassie;4045164

oh you lucky thing you, mine is pretty old, its massive at the back

Buy a new one then.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…46
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3321191
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?1626
      4. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October1326

See more discussions