Single Atom Visible To The Naked Eye

Found 15th FebEdited by:"deleted57959"
What an age we live in eh!

Some of the older members might struggle to see this

2895108.jpg

2895108.jpg

source: newscientist.com/art…to/

Story says its a strontium atom which is relatively large as far as atoms go (same as in an atomic clock), and that it was trapped in an ION field in a vacuum chamber the absorption and release of a laser light is what allows it to be seen.

No fancy camera work either just a normal digital camera on a long exposure.

Consider this, there is more of these fellas in your body than there are stars in the known universe, when there are more stars in our galaxy than grains of sand on our planet.. the scale of the universe is crazy..

watch this and mind = blown

Community Updates
Misc
32 Comments
If that's an atom wonder how small that instrament is
Amazing, truly amazing.

I use strontium in work, also ion chambers and extreamly high vaccumm.
Video was so satisfying to watch. Makes you realise how tiny planet earth is.
123thisisme1 h, 16 m ago

Amazing, truly amazing.I use strontium in work, also ion chambers and …Amazing, truly amazing.I use strontium in work, also ion chambers and extreamly high vaccumm.

I regularly put an extremely high vacuum over my ion chamber.
Nice ta.
Edited by: "Wongy110" 15th Feb
And?
jayonline853 h, 53 m ago

Video was so satisfying to watch. Makes you realise how tiny planet earth …Video was so satisfying to watch. Makes you realise how tiny planet earth is.

Seen the size of UY SCUTI? What a massive sun that is Click here
Move along, nothing new to see here some of us have been able see this for years, old or not!
33272401.jpg
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 16th Feb
I am uncertain as to whether i have just seen that atom tbh, anyway i am off to find my cat to make sure he is ok.
coys6727 m ago

I am uncertain as to whether i have just seen that atom tbh, anyway i am …I am uncertain as to whether i have just seen that atom tbh, anyway i am off to find my cat to make sure he is ok.

He is ok, and he isn't ok, at least until you find him.
deleted5795916th Feb

[Image]

If that's an Amazon parcel I'm quite certain that they would of used a much larger box than that to deliver a single atom!
"...Consider this, there is more of these fellas in your body than there are stars in the known universe..."

Err... all the atoms in your body are made from exploded stars in our universe; the same as the atoms in everybody else's body, regardless of Gender, Colour, Creed, Sexuality,... even Genus.
fanpages11 m ago

"...Consider this, there is more of these fellas in your body than there …"...Consider this, there is more of these fellas in your body than there are stars in the known universe..."Err... all the atoms in your body are made from exploded stars in our universe; the same as the atoms in everybody else's body, regardless of Gender, Colour, Creed, Sexuality,... even Genus.

Is that how god did it...
Great, Now an atom could actually be bigger than my man part since you can see it :(.
.MUFC.1 m ago

Great, Now an atom could actually be bigger than my man part since you can …Great, Now an atom could actually be bigger than my man part since you can see it :(.

Look on the bright side, you're built like a Ken doll.
Wouldn't trust that lot if they told me water was wet.
cowsindahouse1 m ago

You need to learn a new tune. It's been boring for ages now.
What's that you're saying? "Brains?" Sorry haven't seen any round here for a while.

Nvm.. News is on, could watch it while reading your paper.
deleted1023990
Liked the video in the OP, very humbling.
cowsindahouse16th Feb

What's that you're saying? "Brains?" Sorry haven't seen any round here for …What's that you're saying? "Brains?" Sorry haven't seen any round here for a while.Nvm.. News is on, could watch it while reading your paper.

It's like watching a mental break in text form.
I don't know what I'm talking about but think about this............... Are we living in a simulation? Are we digital, take a random image on your screen and zoom into a single pixel. The equivalent exists in the real World, zoom into a single Atom. The pixel is the Atom of the universe. We're in the Sims game in a thousand years. You heard it here first

Or... we're an advanced alien child's school project, a crap one at that, an ant farm, not a ******* notion about what is really going on out there, just surviving, slaving away. Who knows maybe our school project was a poor one and we're waiting to be binned any-day soon . yeeee haaaa. You could say I'm wrong, but ya can't

33276650-dzRWY.jpg
cowsindahouse8 h, 46 m ago

That's good; because water isn't wet.
.MUFC.8 h, 57 m ago

Great, Now an atom could actually be bigger than my man part since you can …Great, Now an atom could actually be bigger than my man part since you can see it :(.

Could be?
sparkyIreland43 m ago

I don't know what I'm talking about but think about this............... …I don't know what I'm talking about but think about this............... Are we living in a simulation? Are we digital, take a random image on your screen and zoom into a single pixel. The equivalent exists in the real World, zoom into a single Atom. The pixel is the Atom of the universe. We're in the Sims game in a thousand years. You heard it here firstOr... we're an advanced alien child's school project, a crap one at that, an ant farm, not a ******* notion about what is really going on out there, just surviving, slaving away. Who knows maybe our school project was a poor one and we're waiting to be binned any-day soon . yeeee haaaa. You could say I'm wrong, but ya can't[Image]

I have been preoccupied with existentialism since daydreaming about it in class as a 7:year-old. The seriously cerebral nature of it surely goes way beyond a 'school project' notion. At least I hope so.
Saturn6 m ago

I have been preoccupied with existentialism since daydreaming about it in …I have been preoccupied with existentialism since daydreaming about it in class as a 7:year-old. The seriously cerebral nature of it surely goes way beyond a 'school project' notion. At least I hope so.

Are we talking "High school" or "Grammar school" or "University"

How far does the way beyond go? Maybe it has no end ............

33276942-A7wiR.jpg
sparkyIreland16th Feb

Are we talking "High school" or "Grammar school" or "University" How far …Are we talking "High school" or "Grammar school" or "University" How far does the way beyond go? Maybe it has no end ............ [Image]

I think the clue was with the age of the young Saturn.

deleted102399016th Feb

Liked the video in the OP, very humbling.

You may also enjoy this:

[ scaleofuniverse.com ]
sparkyIreland1 h, 5 m ago

I don't know what I'm talking about but think about this............... …I don't know what I'm talking about but think about this............... Are we living in a simulation? Are we digital, take a random image on your screen and zoom into a single pixel. The equivalent exists in the real World, zoom into a single Atom. The pixel is the Atom of the universe. We're in the Sims game in a thousand years. You heard it here firstOr... we're an advanced alien child's school project, a crap one at that, an ant farm, not a ******* notion about what is really going on out there, just surviving, slaving away. Who knows maybe our school project was a poor one and we're waiting to be binned any-day soon . yeeee haaaa. You could say I'm wrong, but ya can't[Image]

Listen to Neil deGrasse Tyson from 20 minutes & 20 seconds onwards:

Direct link to the start of his reply (due to this silly site's recent redesign only plays YouTube-hosted videos from the start):

[ youtu.be/utl…220 ]
Edited by: "fanpages" 16th Feb
sparkyIreland1 h, 9 m ago

Atoms are made of stuff as well, if an atom was a picture on your screen you could zoom in and a pixel would be an electron, proton or neutron, and then you can zoom in on protons and find quarks and gluons and i wouldn't be surprised if there are more undiscovered layers below them.
coys6724 m ago

Atoms are made of stuff as well, if an atom was a picture on your screen …Atoms are made of stuff as well, if an atom was a picture on your screen you could zoom in and a pixel would be an electron, proton or neutron, and then you can zoom in on protons and find quarks and gluons and i wouldn't be surprised if there are more undiscovered layers below them.

Try watching the video in the thread description.
fanpages1 h, 5 m ago

I think the clue was with the age of the young Saturn.You may also enjoy …I think the clue was with the age of the young Saturn.You may also enjoy this:[ http://scaleofuniverse.com ]

At age 7 my biggest wonder was if my bike hit that flat bit of wood propped up by two concrete blocks would I make it to the other side, that answer is no.

At-least 'no' is a definitive answer, the whole purpose of the universe (Or multiple) is open to interpretation, and as much as I admire those great minds working to solve the problem, no one actually knows wtf is going on. It's just far too huge for humans to comprehend. For now a basic definition of a simulated universe is good enough for me. But yes, I will watch the provided links when I finished these couple drinks
Imagine the coding that went into developing atoms, all the complex shells rules, quantum mechanics, protons, neutrons etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants