Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Single or double pole plug sockets?

Posted 6th Jan 2019
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace all of the double sockets in the house. I've noticed that they come in either single pole or double pole. I understand that double pole sockets are needed for things like boiler connections etc, but is there any other difference? All of the sockets I'm going to be replacing are standard sockets in the living room, dining room etc.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

2 Comments
Kind of;

> Double pole means that Brown and Blue wires are both switched. Yes, it is safer. Single pole means Brown only. Regs only requires single pole for domestic appliances.that connect via a 13amp fused plug.
> Boilers, showers, fans etc do not use a 13 amp fused plug. They use a switched, fused spur. Fans etc require double pole isolation because they are dangerous or are located in hazardous environments. Which brings you on to a problem with the work you can do without qualification. Replacing existing is OK. New is OK under certain circumstances. People will tell you this doesn't matter but your insurance company will disagree if there is an electrical fire or someone gets hurt.
> Double pole tend to be deeper so you need to check the patrice box depth
> All require full earthing to the socket to afford you the best protection but if you have modern RCB consumer unit, you may be buying yourself trouble with circuits tripping after you change things due to dodgy wiring
> Double pole is expensive.
> You may want to look at putting in some sockets with USB chargers built in
ccnp50 m ago

Kind of;> Double pole means that Brown and Blue wires are both switched. …Kind of;> Double pole means that Brown and Blue wires are both switched. Yes, it is safer. Single pole means Brown only. Regs only requires single pole for domestic appliances.that connect via a 13amp fused plug.> Boilers, showers, fans etc do not use a 13 amp fused plug. They use a switched, fused spur. Fans etc require double pole isolation because they are dangerous or are located in hazardous environments. Which brings you on to a problem with the work you can do without qualification. Replacing existing is OK. New is OK under certain circumstances. People will tell you this doesn't matter but your insurance company will disagree if there is an electrical fire or someone gets hurt.> Double pole tend to be deeper so you need to check the patrice box depth> All require full earthing to the socket to afford you the best protection but if you have modern RCB consumer unit, you may be buying yourself trouble with circuits tripping after you change things due to dodgy wiring> Double pole is expensive.> You may want to look at putting in some sockets with USB chargers built in

Brilliant, thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants