Expired

single parent travelling to Spain

Found 14th Aug 2013
I am a single mum going on holiday to.Spain with my 4 children on a plane for the first time in a couple of weeks - only my youngest child's father has parental responsibility, however he refuses to see him and has not done so since he was 6 months old (son is now nearly 7). Somebody mentioned to me that I might have to contact the Spanish Embassy if I am taking the children by myself to Spain to prove that they live with me - does anybody know about this please? I've taken them into France by ferry and car and never had any problems - any advice appreciated, thankyou.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Spain
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Spain
26 Comments
You will not have to contact the Spanish Embassy, that's nonsense. My Father in-law takes his daughter to Spain all the time with us when her mother is parental responsibility and he has never had to contact Spanish Embassy about allowing him to take her in.
You do not have to contact the embassy. But you should contact the father if you are taking his child out the country without permission
Original Poster
Bit awkward that, there has been no contact at all for over two years now. I used to email him and tried to arrange contact with himself and my son's grandma, but he sent a legal document to myself and my family stating that if any of us contacted him and his family by mail, phone or even turning up in the town where he lives (which has never happened, refused to see son since he was 6 months old, now nearly 7), he would take legal action against us for undue stress and harassment and that things would turn out nasty if it came to that!
Sophiasky

Bit awkward that, there has been no contact at all for over two years … Bit awkward that, there has been no contact at all for over two years now. I used to email him and tried to arrange contact with himself and my son's grandma, but he sent a legal document to myself and my family stating that if any of us contacted him and his family by mail, phone or even turning up in the town where he lives (which has never happened, refused to see son since he was 6 months old, now nearly 7), he would take legal action against us for undue stress and harassment and that things would turn out nasty if it came to that!

Nice bloke!
Banned
you have a letter stating that he wants nothing to do with you or his son.

Dont worry about it take your children on holiday and have a good time, but take with you a copy of the document that he sent you stating that he wants no contact just to cover yourself.
Original Poster
Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.
the only issue I have ever had was once, when I took my sons friend (aged 9) away on holiday as company for my son. I didn't have any problems leaving the country but arriving back, I was informed by passport control that I should have had a letter from the childs parent stating that they had agreed for the child to be taken. It was ok but that was my only experience. Good luck and enjoy
As has been said, simply take a copy of the document saying the father wants no contact. Some countries insist on a letter from the non-travelling parent giving permission for their child to leave the country, so in the very unlikely event this should be asked for the above document will suffice. Hope you have a great holiday.
If your only taking a holiday and not planning living out there the father doesnt have to be told, only if you are going out of the country for i think its more then 4 weeks. You are the resident parent and dont need to inform the non resident parent each time you have a holiday.
Original Poster
PinkHaven

If your only taking a holiday and not planning living out there the … If your only taking a holiday and not planning living out there the father doesnt have to be told, only if you are going out of the country for i think its more then 4 weeks. You are the resident parent and dont need to inform the non resident parent each time you have a holiday.

Are you certain about this please? When I took the children to France by ferry I had no problems at all. Just spent ages trying to speak to Spanish Embassy in London but can't get through to correct person. We are travelling with Ryanair to Spain for just over a week. Worried now we will not get let into the country on getting to.Spain! Did check Ryanairs page regarding children under 16 and it says that Italian children need approval from both parents if only one of them is travelling, can't see that info about British children under 16. Are there any single parents reading this who have actually been to Spain and not had to have written approval from their child's father please?
PinkHaven

If your only taking a holiday and not planning living out there the … If your only taking a holiday and not planning living out there the father doesnt have to be told, only if you are going out of the country for i think its more then 4 weeks. You are the resident parent and dont need to inform the non resident parent each time you have a holiday.

Not true the other parent needs to give permission you cant do this. You must be female giving an answer like that!
adamsxi

Not true the other parent needs to give permission you cant do this. You … Not true the other parent needs to give permission you cant do this. You must be female giving an answer like that!

Yes i think the name PinkHaven is a big clue so well done for spotting the obvious, i am in fact female. That has nothing to do with my answer as i am in deed correct and if the op is going away for less then 4 weeks she does not need the permission of the non resident parent, over 4 weeks then permission would be needed. The only problem the op might face is if this child has fathers surname which i would assume differs from her name.
PinkHaven is correct, under the circumstances you describe, you do not have to get permission from the father just to take them on holiday. As she also says, the only problem you may face is if the child has a different surname. Any queries about this can be answered by either the airline of the passport office
PinkHaven

Yes i think the name PinkHaven is a big clue so well done for spotting … Yes i think the name PinkHaven is a big clue so well done for spotting the obvious, i am in fact female. That has nothing to do with my answer as i am in deed correct and if the op is going away for less then 4 weeks she does not need the permission of the non resident parent, over 4 weeks then permission would be needed. The only problem the op might face is if this child has fathers surname which i would assume differs from her name.

This is not correct can you show me this legislation?
I took both my children on holiday, to Rhodes, for a week and I did not ask for permission from their father. They both have his surname as well. I was not asked for any documentation at all... I didn't take any either.
Original Poster
sylviasmith944

I think this should help … I think this should help http://www.sydneymitchell.co.uk/news/legal-implications-taking-children-abroad-if-you-are-separated

I am getting all sorts of things told to me at the moment. I phoned the Citizen's Advice Bureau yesterday and after explaining the situation (child has same surname as father but we were never married - father's choice to leave and return to his mother's home when my son was 6 months old and has refused to see him since, never spoken to him either, and my son is now nearly 7), I was told by the man that I was talking to, that legally I could take him on holiday without his father's consent (parental responsibility given to him on registering our son's birth together). He told me that if I wanted to confirm what he had told me, I could contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, however, I will be doing that later today. Thank you.
Bless you, how stressful. When I took my two to Valencia about five Years ago I wasn't asked for any letter despite their dad having parental responsibility though I did find that part made obtaining passports for them a nightmare. It sounds like not have done everything you can, have a fab holiday, being a single parent is not easy but worth it :-D
no need to contact anyone. as long as you have the children's passports with you.

haven't you heard of one parent taking the children on holiday as the other is busy or will join them later, etc?
mum and dad aren't conjoined twins you know.
mutley1

no need to contact anyone. as long as you have the children's passports … no need to contact anyone. as long as you have the children's passports with you.haven't you heard of one parent taking the children on holiday as the other is busy or will join them later, etc?mum and dad aren't conjoined twins you know.

Nonsense. Does that whoever has the passport can take their children anywhere at anytime without permisssion? The rules are in place to stop this happening.
Whatever the legal situation (and speaking generally not specifically about the op) you have a moral responsibility to inform the other parent where, how long and who with when their child is being taken on holiday. It is the very least that should be done.

Children are not pawns in a game of power and influence, and parents are created equally.

I took my ex and her 2 young children on holiday a few years back, both her and her parents lied to the father. Those children deserve better, those children's father deserved better. If I had known I would have gone on my own.
Edited by: "dazzer1975" 16th Aug 2013
Banned
adamsxi

You do not have to contact the embassy. But you should contact the father … You do not have to contact the embassy. But you should contact the father if you are taking his child out the country without permission

are you stupid the child's father has not seen the child in 6 and a half years.... I'm sure a caring father like that will notice
adamsxi

Nonsense. Does that whoever has the passport can take their children … Nonsense. Does that whoever has the passport can take their children anywhere at anytime without permisssion? The rules are in place to stop this happening.

as children I went on holiday with my mum only as my dad doesn't like traveling. no one at passport control ever asked where my dad was. unless rules have changed now.
mutley1

as children I went on holiday with my mum only as my dad … as children I went on holiday with my mum only as my dad doesn't like traveling. no one at passport control ever asked where my dad was. unless rules have changed now.

You have answered your own question the rules have changed.
sumo999

are you stupid the child's father has not seen the child in 6 and a half … are you stupid the child's father has not seen the child in 6 and a half years.... I'm sure a caring father like that will notice

That's irrelevant if she is taking the child out the country. Im not the stupid one!
Original Poster
Back from our holiday - no problem at all with my 6 year old on going through security etc in Spain and England (Bristol), however, coming back off of our flight, I was asked what relationship I was to my 13 year old daughter as we had different surnames - not too sure if the man was messing around or serious, but he let us through when I explained that we were mother and daughter.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants