Singles Day 2019: what is it, and how do you get the best deals?

Posted 7th Nov
3326349.jpg
Hi all,

Next Monday, 11 November, it’s going to be Singles Day 2019. Long-time members may be familiar with this, but it’s not as well known as Black Friday or Prime Day, so I’ve put together a thread trying to explain it all. This includes who the big retailers are, how to make sure you don’t miss a big deal, and more.

I'll also try to list the BEST deals as/when live so bookmark this thread!

• When is Singles Day 2019?

Singles Day is on the same day every year, 11 November (11/11) — hence the name.

• What is Singles Day?

The ‘Single Sticks' Holiday' originated in Nanjing University as a celebration of being single. That’s the reason it is held on 11 November — because of the single digits. It serves as a time for single people in China to meet and party with other singles. Obviously, shopping for these events has become big business and in 2017, Alibaba and JD made $44.5 billion between them!

Ironically, it has also become a day of celebrating relationships too. In 2011, there were 4000 marriages in Beijing on day, compared to the normal 700.

It has become a massive event in the year in China, so much so that Singles Day is comparatively four times larger than Black Friday and Cyber Monday, with targets being smashed each consecutive year. It is sure to get bigger and bigger in the UK and Europe over the next few years.

How to prepare for Singles Day

Since Singles Day is still relatively new to the UK, it won’t get as busy as Black Friday, but it’s still a good idea to have a plan of attack. Make a list of the things you want, or know at least the sort of thing you want, otherwise you will lose yourself in the depths of AliExpress. We will endeavour to get the best deals on site, with the big name brands getting priority — Huawei, Xiaomi, Lenovo, Asus, and many more.

The most important thing is to do your research. A Singles Day price might not be a bargain, as some retailers increase prices slowly on the run up to the day, so be aware of price history and that it hasn’t just been taken down to a previous sales price.

Always make a list of what you want, take a look on hotukdeals to see if they have been posted before on site, and then make a decision. Some deals may be exclusive to certain merchants, but you'll find very similar specs elsewhere for a lot less — especially in China.

One major thing to be aware of on AliExpress is the merchant’s review scores. Sellers with less than 95% positive reviews, or those that haven’t been on AliExpress for at least a year, should be avoided.

List of retailers expected to take part below:

AliExpress
Anker
Aukey
Ben Sherman
Bestek
EU Noda Camp (SVT)
Fance
Gearbest
Joybuy
MingXi Eu
The Perfume Shop
Sunvalleytek-UK
Suits Direct
UGreen
Ustellar

There will be more than this, but for now, those will get you on the way to shopping nirvana.

How to find the best deals, using hotukdeals.

All of the hottest deals over Singles Day (as well as every other day of the year) are found on our website and in the app. At the top of the homepage, you'll see a few different categories of deals...

Highlights- the BEST of hotukdeals including hot deals, fast moving threads, glitches & more

Hot- Deals voted Hot by the community hit the hot page around 100 degrees and shows deals starting to climb the hotukdeals boards.

New - All deals submitted get posted here, it's the go-to for everything new, well worth keeping tabs on as some expire very quickly.

How to get Singles Day 2019 alerts for the deals YOU want...

Set up singles Day 2019 alerts for the deals YOU want

The easiest way to make sure you never miss out is getting Singles Day deals sent straight to your phone, simple, quick and free to do this via our hotukdeals app.

So first, download it for Android or iOS. Once done, you can set up keyword alerts for any of the deals you care about.

• Step 1 - Tap the 3 lines in the top left corner
  • Step 2 - Select 'Alerts'
  • Step 3 - Head to the bottom right - Tap the pencil to edit
  • Step 4 - Tap a keyword you want to add an alert for, or type your own.
  • Step 5 - Set the heat level you want to be notified at.)
  • Step 5 - Hit Save in the top right corner

You can also go back into these settings to remove, edit etc.

There are other ways to make sure you don't miss out too

Follow threads you are interested in

Get Singles Day deals straight to your phone or tablet when they are posted — the simplest and best way to ensure you don’t miss a bargain.

The easiest way to make sure you never miss out is getting Singles Day deals sent straight to your phone, quick and free to do this via our daily picks.

Daily Picks

Before you can use it you'll need to switch it on from the hotukdeals app.

Hottest deals on the go.The world’s largest deal community fits in your pocket. Find the latest, hottest deals on all the things you want, wherever you are!

Introducing Daily Picks - our in-app alternative to WhatsApp deal alerts!

How do you follow or save a thread you’re interested in?

On any deal thread you can follow it by clicking ‘Subscribe’ and you will get information and updates when people comment on the thread or if there are any changes to the thread, like if it expires or is due to expire. You can turn this on and off by simply clicking the button again.

3326349.jpg

How to follow members that post deals that you’re interested in?

If you want to follow a particular member of the community or editor you know posts deals you like, for example NeoTrix, msmyth or Akira_Cat, go to their profile and simply click the 'follow' icon. To turn notifications off, just click it again.

You can also change this in your profile settings under 'Following & Muted'.

Follow us on social media. Just click through and follow in the normal way...

hotukdeals on instagram (https//ww…en)

hotukdeals on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/hotukdeals/)

hotukdeals gaming on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/HUKDgaming/)

Make sure you select 'See first' on the hotukdeals facebook pages as some deals expire VERY quickly. Just hover over Following or Liked near the cover photo and click See First.

Looking for specific categories?

Electronics
Gaming
Broadband & Phone Contracts
Fashion & Accessories
Family & Kids
Sports & Outdoors
Culture & Leisure
Home & Living
Garden & Do It Yourself
Health & Beauty
Groceries
Travel
Car & Motorcycle
Finance & Insurance
Services & Contracts

What Singles Day 2019 deals do we think will be popular?

For the electronics side of things, expect smartphones from Xiaomi and Huawei, robot vacuum cleaners, wireless headphones and ear-phones, camera drones, Smart lighting, Smart devices generally, power banks, cables and chargers, wireless portable speakers, smart watches, camera accessories, and much, much more.

A Few Predictions

Gearbest will have offers on Xiaomi electric scooters, smart phones, Mi Bands, earbuds and so on.

AliExpress merchants will definitely be taking part with big discounts on home, fashion and electricals.

SunValleytek-UK have several brands like TaoTronics for audio, RavPower for power banks and chargers, and UBeauty for cosmetics and makeup, so expect to see a lot of products from them.

Expect discounts on Aukey and Anker items including power banks, car chargers, dash cams, and chargers generally.

Ustellar (Novostella) are good for lighting, smart bulbs, outdoor lights, and smart devices.

10 Pro Tips and Tricks to Prepare for Singles Day 2019

• Make a budget
  • Make lists of the sort of things you want
  • Create accounts on seller pages like AliExpress to save time
  • Update personal profiles
  • Compare prices
  • Find coupons where possible
  • Follow favourite brands
  • Read up on seller policies (returns, shipping costs, etc.) as Chinese merchants are not held to the same laws as European sellers
  • Bookmark shopping event pages and set Keyword Alerts on hotukdeals
  • Use your credit card or PayPal for large purchases as this will give you a bit more protection
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Another bloody holiday imported to squeeze a few more pennies from us. It's like everything is a DFS sale now. A perpetual treasure hunt for the odd decent (but rarely exceptional) price amidst a sea of tat, most of which is always discounted and most of which isn't worth the price, no matter how far below the RRP it's supposedly is.

How long will it be until Santa Claus: The Movie becomes a reality and we have "Christmas 2"?
Edited by: "McGonigle" 7th Nov
doormanjoel07/11/2019 20:05

Wow how disrespectful! Now there trying to replace remembrance Day...lest …Wow how disrespectful! Now there trying to replace remembrance Day...lest we forget...seems like people are forgetting already... 😞

I don't think there's remembrance day in china
Wow how disrespectful! Now there trying to replace remembrance Day...lest we forget...seems like people are forgetting already... 😞
I’m not single - I’m self-coupled !
147 Comments
Xingye_Huang11/11/2019 17:08

typo - 0.6 billionAnd thanks for the math master for pointing out that the …typo - 0.6 billionAnd thanks for the math master for pointing out that the original post was suggesting 1/10 died in that three years.

You're very welcome.

Some Chinese historians consider the number could actually be in excess of 70 million people.

I wasn't around at the time and I certainly didn't have any first hand experience in the Great Leap Forward. That said, I think it's fair to say that it was anything but a great leap forward.

The change from Communism to Capitalism has provided that opportunity for China to progress massively.
Edited by: "gtd65" 11th Nov
gtd6511/11/2019 17:20

Well, the new Territories of Hong Kong were part of the Commonwealth for …Well, the new Territories of Hong Kong were part of the Commonwealth for 100 years under a 100 year lease from China.The rest of Hong Kong, now reverted back to China was also part of that Commonwealth.I'm fairly sure cultural influences didn't evaporate in 1997?

Xingye_Huang11/11/2019 16:40

All kinds of wild numbers fly on internet and people choose to believe …All kinds of wild numbers fly on internet and people choose to believe whatever they like. At the time of the Great Leap Forward the total population in China was roughly 60 billion, and you are suggesting that the death rate over 3 years is 1%. "Ridiculous" would be a total underestimate. That was a difficult time in the country's history, but caused by multiple factors, I'm not denying leadership is one of them, but also coupled with climate issues which caused insufficient food supply, as well as hostile international situation from western countries towards to newly founded communist country. And I can assure you, to this day, the worst damages done to this country, its culture, its people, are still from those who invaded and enslaved this country in the modern history, including those from Europe (and the British Empire).

Not sure what your point it

China mainland is never a Commonwealth member state.
Hong Kong was once one of British Overseas Territories, which was part forced leased and part forced possessed

So you are saying when you rob something from someone, not only the item you've robbed, but also the rightful owner, should then compliant to your tradition?
gtd6511/11/2019 17:25

You're very welcome.Some Chinese historians consider the number could …You're very welcome.Some Chinese historians consider the number could actually be in excess of 70 million people.I wasn't around at the time and I certainly didn't have any first hand experience in the Great Leap Forward. That said, I think it's fair to say that it was anything but a great leap forward.The change from Communism to Capitalism has provided that opportunity for China to progress massively.

Like I've said before, wild numbers fly all over the place.

It was no doubt a difficult time, but I found it really insulting to compare it with the times when we were invaded and bullied by foreign forces. No matter how many you believe may have died during the great leap, and how not many you think may have died during wars with European countries, those were lives of our ancestors or even family members. We will never be thankful, or not feel deeply hurt, by foreign invaders, just because there were also casualties due to domestic turbulence.

I don't agree that China has changed from Communism to Capitalism. No system is perfect. Neither communism nor capitalism as a system would provide any opportunity. China progresses massively because of the hard-work done by the people. The same people who suffered from both events you quoted.
Edited by: "Xingye_Huang" 11th Nov
Xingye_Huang11/11/2019 17:31

Not sure what your point itChina mainland is never a Commonwealth member …Not sure what your point itChina mainland is never a Commonwealth member state. Hong Kong was once one of British Overseas Territories, which was part forced leased and part forced possessedSo you are saying when you rob something from someone, not only the item you've robbed, but also the rightful owner, should then compliant to your tradition?

So how about the "robbed" lives of tens of millions of Chinese people who died in the name of progress (regression by Western standards..)
Xingye_Huang11/11/2019 17:41

Like I've said before, wild numbers fly all over the place. It was no …Like I've said before, wild numbers fly all over the place. It was no doubt a difficult time, but I found it really insulting to compare it with the times when we were invaded and bullied by foreign forces. No matter how many you believe may have died during the great leap, and how not many you think may have died during wars with European countries, those were lives of our ancestors or even family members. We will never be thankful, or not feel deeply hurt, by foreign invaders, just because there were also casualties due to domestic turbulence. I don't agree that China has changed from Communism to Capitalism. No system is perfect. Neither communism nor capitalism as a system would provide any opportunity. China progresses massively because of the hard-work done by the people. The same people who suffered from both events you quoted.

I think you might be missing the point.

More people died under Chinese "progression" than multiple countries fighting a World War.
gtd6511/11/2019 17:46

So how about the "robbed" lives of tens of millions of Chinese people who …So how about the "robbed" lives of tens of millions of Chinese people who died in the name of progress (regression by Western standards..)

Don't want to argue with you on numbers anymore. But:

This is our country. We fought against invaders, we gained independence, we worked our way to become more and more powerful everyday, we made mistakes, we learned from our mistakes, we try not to repeat our mistakes, and we will make mistakes again in the future there is no doubt of it, but hopefully we will again pull ourselves out of it and carry on. We have lost lives in wars, we have lost lives during various stages of our development. They were our friends and families. We mourn our losses, and we try to live a better live in memory of the lives lost.

We don't need others to tell us, hey, your government has "killed" so many people that you didn't really "need" (and I'm quoting the exact word you used in your original post) other countries to do your more damages.

I've already said that, and I'll repeat - the deepest wound in our hearts, will always be the one caused by foreign nations.
im not really finding any deals i would say are that good.

lots of sellers claiming big % of but not really true.
gtd6511/11/2019 17:48

I think you might be missing the point.More people died under Chinese …I think you might be missing the point.More people died under Chinese "progression" than multiple countries fighting a World War.

The point it, or, my point it, that is OUR lives in OUR progression, they are not comparable to OUR lives in wars with OTHER greedy nations who were just trying to enslave and colonise OUR country.

I've capitalised key words for you, hopefully will make it easier for you to understand OUR feelings.
Xingye_Huang11/11/2019 18:07

The point it, or, my point it, that is OUR lives in OUR progression, they …The point it, or, my point it, that is OUR lives in OUR progression, they are not comparable to OUR lives in wars with OTHER greedy nations who were just trying to enslave and colonise OUR country. I've capitalised key words for you, hopefully will make it easier for you to understand OUR feelings.

Still not seeing the wood for the trees.

None so blind as those who do not want to see

Have a good day comrade.
gtd6511/11/2019 18:09

Still not seeing the wood for the trees. None so blind as those who do not …Still not seeing the wood for the trees. None so blind as those who do not want to see Have a good day comrade.

I am. I live. I feel.

And you, having just admitted you have neither lived nor had first hand experience, believe you see better than I do.

It's a funny world. Not the first time I've had this though. People think we are brainwashed, yet hold strong belief that even though they have never lived there, never do they understood a thing in native language, their understanding of events must be the truth, for how could it not be?
doormanjoel07/11/2019 20:05

Wow how disrespectful! Now there trying to replace remembrance Day...lest …Wow how disrespectful! Now there trying to replace remembrance Day...lest we forget...seems like people are forgetting already... 😞

I'm as respectful as anyone of Remembrance Day, but please remember that the Chinese have been celebrating 11.11 for a long time too - all cultures are allowed to co-exist together with each other.

And you mean "they're".
Xingye_Huang11/11/2019 18:16

I am. I live. I feel. And you, having just admitted you have neither lived …I am. I live. I feel. And you, having just admitted you have neither lived nor had first hand experience, believe you see better than I do. It's a funny world. Not the first time I've had this though. People think we are brainwashed, yet hold strong belief that even though they have never lived there, never do they understood a thing in native language, their understanding of events must be the truth, for how could it not be?

I have worked and travelled quite extensively through China and lived in Hong Kong.

I didn't say you were brainwashed. You may well be a Chinese nationalist that cannot accept any criticism of China. You may wish to have an outlook that all Chinese people think the same way and that all Chinese people want the same things.

I was absolutely stunned at the speed of change in China in the 1990's through the early 2000's. I was very impressed indeed.

This didn't happen due to the myopic policies of Communist China. They experimented with capitalism in the seven or so SEZ's, this is what changed China.

I didn't not have first hand experience of the "great leap backwards" but I certainly experienced the quantum leap forward when China embraced a new direction.

At least from my Western imperialist outlook, that is...
gtd6511/11/2019 18:55

I have worked and travelled quite extensively through China and lived in …I have worked and travelled quite extensively through China and lived in Hong Kong.I didn't say you were brainwashed. You may well be a Chinese nationalist that cannot accept any criticism of China. You may wish to have an outlook that all Chinese people think the same way and that all Chinese people want the same things.I was absolutely stunned at the speed of change in China in the 1990's through the early 2000's. I was very impressed indeed.This didn't happen due to the myopic policies of Communist China. They experimented with capitalism in the seven or so SEZ's, this is what changed China. I didn't not have first hand experience of the "great leap backwards" but I certainly experienced the quantum leap forward when China embraced a new direction.At least from my Western imperialist outlook, that is...

In Hong Kong when HK was mainly "commonwealth"?

Its nothing to do with criticism at all.

I'll explain it in more detail:

in the great leap period, yes people lost lives. There was ill judgement, there was poor execution, there was negligence, there was incompetence. But fundamentally, NO ONE wanted these people to die. (collectively) it was not a purposeful action taken by the government to kill these people. Its like when an explorer leads a group of 100 people into a wild expedition. The ill judgement of the captain may cause the death of 50 of them. But it would not be the captain's intention to do so. People care, the government cares, the officials care too, because it's our country. They may have taken wrong decisions which may have led to the death of people. But they were not there to kill people. To make a more recent analogy, it's like the fire at Grenfell tower - someone will be held responsible for the tragedy, but no one wanted all these people to die.

However, foreign invasion is a completely different thing. Invaders are there to kill. They enslave, torture, and kill local people, on purpose, in order to take full control of their lives and properties. It's not only lives that are lost, but also dignity and identity. The killing is intentional. It's like someone setting fire on a building to kill people living there. Invaders are there to kill, not only physically, but also spiritually.

How are these two even comparable? And like I've said before, a lot of people died during that period due to insufficiency of food. It happened several times in the history. It also happened elsewhere. Black plague killed a lot too. A few factors combined, it was perhaps the darkest period in the history of the republic. However, you don't compare it to the darkest period in the entire history of the nation, which was when multiple western nations flooded in in a bid to have their hands on the land. You see the number of people died, but how about the number of people suffered??

You've lived in Hong Kong. The forced lease and forced forfeit of Hong Kong is a time that we consider far worse and more humiliating than the great leap period. Yes, perhaps only a handful died as a result of signing the treaty. Nevertheless, we feel the pain. You probably don't feel it at all, because in the last hundreds of years Britain has been the one forcing these upon other nations, not vice versa.
gtd6511/11/2019 18:55

I have worked and travelled quite extensively through China and lived in …I have worked and travelled quite extensively through China and lived in Hong Kong.I didn't say you were brainwashed. You may well be a Chinese nationalist that cannot accept any criticism of China. You may wish to have an outlook that all Chinese people think the same way and that all Chinese people want the same things.I was absolutely stunned at the speed of change in China in the 1990's through the early 2000's. I was very impressed indeed.This didn't happen due to the myopic policies of Communist China. They experimented with capitalism in the seven or so SEZ's, this is what changed China. I didn't not have first hand experience of the "great leap backwards" but I certainly experienced the quantum leap forward when China embraced a new direction.At least from my Western imperialist outlook, that is...

And I've said it before, but I'll reinitiate - I found your original post deeply insulting, not for the mention of great leap period at all, but in the context.

It's like you've robbed someone 500 quid. And that person later made some bad investment and lost 5000. You then go up and mock him: hey, you didn't need me to be complete broke after all - you managed to lose 10 times yourself!! Would you consider it appropriate?
Just reading this argument, nothing to see here
Some people are so detached from the world they think everything is about them, specifically how Remembrance Day is a commonwealth tradition, not a global one.

It seems like this solemn and sombre tradition is being more forced down peoples throats every year, what happened to the freedom those soldiers died for and the respect of choosing how one remembers the sacrifice the volunteers and conscripts of our communities made? Very militaristic zeal.

The truth is it will become less relevant as the last WW veterens are no longer with us, I will not be wearing a poppy to support such recent wars we have been involved in when the day comes. I find it distasteful that the day to commemorate the ones that defended us from facists are extending it to include modern day operations of being the aggressive force in foreign countries. That is not the right reason to remember.
Edited by: "TheBow" 11th Nov
Judging by the hottest daily items that made to the list, this is a non event
Akira_Cat08/11/2019 14:33

China wasn't part of the Great War, so no armistice.

Which Great War, you mean WW1?
Xingye_Huang11/11/2019 19:49

And I've said it before, but I'll reinitiate - I found your original post …And I've said it before, but I'll reinitiate - I found your original post deeply insulting, not for the mention of great leap period at all, but in the context. It's like you've robbed someone 500 quid. And that person later made some bad investment and lost 5000. You then go up and mock him: hey, you didn't need me to be complete broke after all - you managed to lose 10 times yourself!! Would you consider it appropriate?

Yes, I understand that you put more weight towards the face culture (embarrassment)due to various invasions, than the guilt of the loss of tens of millions of Chinese people by your OWN leaders.

Are you actually a Chinese shill that's here on behalf of the PRC?

In closing, can you tell me if you managed to get any good deals on this recently created market capitalist consumption date of 11/11?

I'm typing this on my Chinese LETV phone, by the way.
TheBow11/11/2019 20:06

Some people are so detached from the world they think everything is about …Some people are so detached from the world they think everything is about them, specifically how Remembrance Day is a commonwealth tradition, not a global one. It seems like this solemn and sombre tradition is being more forced down peoples throats every year, what happened to the freedom those soldiers died for and the respect of choosing how one remembers the sacrifice the volunteers and conscripts of our communities made? Very militaristic zeal.The truth is it will become less relevant as the last WW veterens are no longer with us, I will not be wearing a poppy to support such recent wars we have been involved in when the day comes. I find it distasteful that the day to commemorate the ones that defended us from facists are extending it to include modern day operations of being the aggressive force in foreign countries. That is not the right reason to remember.

Same
gtd6511/11/2019 21:30

Yes, I understand that you put more weight towards the face culture …Yes, I understand that you put more weight towards the face culture (embarrassment)due to various invasions, than the guilt of the loss of tens of millions of Chinese people by your OWN leaders. Are you actually a Chinese shill that's here on behalf of the PRC?In closing, can you tell me if you managed to get any good deals on this recently created market capitalist consumption date of 11/11?I'm typing this on my Chinese LETV phone, by the way.

Im half Chinese by ethnicity but I don't like what's going on there.
Hong Kong for freedom!
deankdhdd11/11/2019 22:07

Im half Chinese by ethnicity but I don't like what's going on there.Hong … Im half Chinese by ethnicity but I don't like what's going on there.Hong Kong for freedom!

I've told my HK friends that democracy is over rated.
Countless British people in Britain letting off all their fireworks on Remembrance Sunday and even Monday was somewhat less thoughtful. It sounds like gunfire and from a distance looks like a lit up battlefield. Though perhaps its somewhat fitting too, I dont know.
Edited by: "chimpee" 12th Nov
fanpages08/11/2019 13:00

I think we can see where this site's priorities are...[Image]

38970879-lci55.jpg
^ The advertisement is still present & it's now 75 minutes until 13 November 2019.
Xingye_Huang11/11/2019 17:59

Don't want to argue with you on numbers anymore. But:This is our country. …Don't want to argue with you on numbers anymore. But:This is our country. We fought against invaders, we gained independence, we worked our way to become more and more powerful everyday, we made mistakes, we learned from our mistakes, we try not to repeat our mistakes, and we will make mistakes again in the future there is no doubt of it, but hopefully we will again pull ourselves out of it and carry on. We have lost lives in wars, we have lost lives during various stages of our development. They were our friends and families. We mourn our losses, and we try to live a better live in memory of the lives lost. We don't need others to tell us, hey, your government has "killed" so many people that you didn't really "need" (and I'm quoting the exact word you used in your original post) other countries to do your more damages. I've already said that, and I'll repeat - the deepest wound in our hearts, will always be the one caused by foreign nations.

Pretty selective to mention the fight against invaders while ignoring the fact that the British empire was BY FAR the largest empire in the history of humanity, conquered by force and bloodshed in the large majority of cases
Akira_Cat08/11/2019 14:33

China wasn't part of the Great War, so no armistice.

That's not entirely accurate.

They did not overtly partake in a Chinese military capacity but they certainly took part in other ways providing support to the british allies.

38975003-Y1uEO.jpg
Edited by: "gtd65" 13th Nov
McGonigle07/11/2019 17:26

Another bloody holiday imported to squeeze a few more pennies from us. …Another bloody holiday imported to squeeze a few more pennies from us. It's like everything is a DFS sale now. A perpetual treasure hunt for the odd decent (but rarely exceptional) price amidst a sea of tat, most of which is always discounted and most of which isn't worth the price, no matter how far below the RRP it's supposedly is.How long will it be until Santa Claus: The Movie becomes a reality and we have "Christmas 2"?

Immediately remembered this thread when I came across the concept of Christmas in July.

Was looking for a black friday countdown timer and it also listed Christmas in July so had to have a look!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants