Singles Day Customs Charge

Posted 10th Nov
Hi, I hope someone can help me out, so far everyone has always been very helpful, so I'll start by saying thank you all, you're such an amazing and helpful community!

I'll most probably be buying a couple of technology items tomorrow on Singles Day, but I just wanted a rough price on custom charges. If I buy a phone, for example, at £350, does anyone know how much would customs charge, approximately?
I know there's a small, slim chance they may not charge, but I remember buying a phone about 3 years ago for approx £280 and I think I was charged about £30-£40 extra from DHL.

I really appreciate any help, thank you very much!
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
When I spend over £15 on popcultcha minus postage if it gets stopped it’s 20% and then £8 Royal Mail fee
Where is it coming from.
Which company are you buying from.
What phone is it.
Mr switch might find you a better deal. ( He should be called the phone hunter )
20% VAT and whatever admin fee is charged by the company delivering it. (£8 from Royal Mail, although some others can be more, DHL used to be £10)
Remember postage counts towards the threshold as well.

"When you supply goods by post it counts as a single composite supply for VATpurposes. That means the postage is part of the total cost of the goods and so the VAT rate applicable includes the postage."
Edited by: "hearts22" 11th Nov
hearts2211/11/2019 02:47

Remember postage counts towards the threshold as well."When you supply …Remember postage counts towards the threshold as well."When you supply goods by post it counts as a single composite supply for VATpurposes. That means the postage is part of the total cost of the goods and so the VAT rate applicable includes the postage."

VAT is charged on postage (as it is in the UK) but it doesn't count towards the £15 threshold. A phone is going to be well above the thresholds for both VAT and customs duty though (£15 and £135 respectively).

Generally I'd use 30% as a rough estimate. You'll pay 20% VAT, the delivery company's handling fee (£10-20) and whatever the customs charge is for that type of item and country of origin - usually around 5% percent for electronics.
What phone are you buying?
there might be retailer which can post from EU warehoulse instead.
Thank you everybody! I really appreciate the comments, they were indeed very helpful!
I do usually look out for places which deliver from EU warehouses, but there are loads out there who only deliver from Chinese warehouses. After reading all your comments, I've understood that it's approx 20% extra which I should expect to pay when taking customs into account. In that case, it might work out better (for me) if I just order from UK stores instead, as I will at least have peace of mind, guarantee etc.
So once again everybody, I appreciate everyone's answers, thank you so much to the whole community!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants