Sir Ken Dodd Dead

Found 12th MarEdited by:"miles136"
Sir Ken Dodd, creator of the Diddy Men and one of the most popular comedians of his time, has died aged 90.

The Liverpool legend had recently been released from hospital after six weeks of treatment for a chest infection.

On Friday, he had married Anne Jones, his partner of 40 years, at their house, the same one he grew up in, in the Liverpool suburb of Knotty Ash.

"To my mind, he was one of the last music hall greats," his publicist, Robert Holmes, said.

Sir Ken was famous for his very long stand-up shows - with which he was touring until last year - along with his Diddy Men and the tickling stick.

"He passed away in the home that he was born in over 90 years ago. He's never lived anywhere else. It's absolutely amazing," added Mr Holmes.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
lets remind ourselves of some of his jokes

“What a lovely day to knock on the door of the Russian Embassy and ask “is Lenin”
“I haven’t spoken to my mother-in-law for 18 months. I don’t like to interrupt her.”

It’s ten years since I went out of my mind. I’d never go back.”

“The trouble with Freud is that he never played the Glasgow Empire on a Saturday night after Rangers and Celtic had both lost.”

“Do I believe in safe sex? Of course I do. I have a handrail around the bed.”

“Honolulu: it’s got everything: sand for the children, sun for the wife, sharks for the wife’s mother.”

– “Age doesn’t matter, unless you are a cheese”, on approaching his 80th birthday.

– “Doctor, ‘How old are you?’ ‘I’m approaching 50.’ ‘From which direction?'”

– “How do you make a blonde laugh on a Sunday? Tell her a joke on a Wednesday.”
Went to see him once, he had been on Parkinson, he said the audience left before he did at his shows, I thought it was a joke, IT WAS NOT. I lasted till 12:45 am show had started at 7:30
Awful news, he was so well respected by other comedians, he did these epic long amazing live shows - properly funny bloke.
26 Comments
RIP best Tax man this country ever produced
lets remind ourselves of some of his jokes

“What a lovely day to knock on the door of the Russian Embassy and ask “is Lenin”
“I haven’t spoken to my mother-in-law for 18 months. I don’t like to interrupt her.”

It’s ten years since I went out of my mind. I’d never go back.”

“The trouble with Freud is that he never played the Glasgow Empire on a Saturday night after Rangers and Celtic had both lost.”

“Do I believe in safe sex? Of course I do. I have a handrail around the bed.”

“Honolulu: it’s got everything: sand for the children, sun for the wife, sharks for the wife’s mother.”

– “Age doesn’t matter, unless you are a cheese”, on approaching his 80th birthday.

– “Doctor, ‘How old are you?’ ‘I’m approaching 50.’ ‘From which direction?'”

– “How do you make a blonde laugh on a Sunday? Tell her a joke on a Wednesday.”
33424514-8rvRN.jpg
Went to see him once, he had been on Parkinson, he said the audience left before he did at his shows, I thought it was a joke, IT WAS NOT. I lasted till 12:45 am show had started at 7:30
I could have sworn he died about 3 years ago...

RIP
Awful news, he was so well respected by other comedians, he did these epic long amazing live shows - properly funny bloke.
I sat in the Gods at Crewe Lyceum and laughed for a very, very long time. Not something you can expect with new age comedians.

He must have been laughing at all the Brucey jokes on the TV tribute last night

RIP Doddy
RIP. KEN DODD!
Where's Me Shirt?
I went to one on his shows in New Brighton about a year ago, started at 7pm, ended around 1am, and he got a standing ovation from the people who remained. He lived to entertain at all costs.

Total respect for him, as the show went on, he looked more and more knackered, but just carried on making people laugh.
Rest in Peace Ken.
ken Dodd died?

Did he?

........?

RIP
Appinus , appenus the greatest thing I possess
First time I actually had tears in my eyes at the sad news of a celebritys death. No other entertainer has come close to Doddys wit, skill at entertaining, and longevity. He never stoppped making people laugh, even when offstage.
R.I.P. Ken. Gone to the great jam butty mine in the sky.

I used to play knock and run on his front door many years ago.
Tbh i thought he'd died years ago
90 is an amazing age, I'll be happy to be 60 and see my kids grow. RIP ken
RIP Ken, Legend.
I've just finished watching Another audience with Ken Dodd, absolutely brilliant. if you missed missed it was on ITV1 you should get it on catch up.
RIP Ken
so many one liners
Sad news, another comedy legend gone. May he RIP
Is this that magical bloke that turned a stick of rock into a piece of furniture in a few seconds?

Edited by: "BillySollox" 14th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants