Groups

sirloin steak - do i need to tenderise and what rub

Its the first time I have ever cooked steak and I need to know a few things from peoples experiences.

Do Ineed to tenderise the steak and if so whats the best way?
    What kind of rub do i put on it that i can make from everyday shelf items i have lying around.

thanks for any advice you can give

14 Comments

salt and pepper. get a really hot pan or griddle. oil the meat (not the pan), and fire it straight in

don't tenderize it. that just ruins a good cut of meat. only tenderizer really cheap meat. And it doesn't tend to need any kind of a rub.

Just show it the pan.

Apparently you need to salt it either less than 40 seconds or more than 40 minutes before cooking.

Resting is one of the most important parts of the process. I leave it at least 10 mins, sometimes longer

Original Poster

Thank you for all your advice, as soon as i get my two year old in bed i will have a go at it

carmichaelj

salt and pepper. get a really hot pan or griddle. oil the meat (not the … salt and pepper. get a really hot pan or griddle. oil the meat (not the pan), and fire it straight in

...yep, DONT OIL THE PAN! .. oil the steak, you could rub it with a garlic clove, and a sprinkle of black pepper. Get the pan as hot as you can ...

... and leave it to REST FOR A FEW MINS after cooking..
    enjoy with a nice glass of red (_;)

Just chuck it in a red hot frying pan for about 2 minutes each side Lovely

put a bit of olive oil on the steak ( both sides ) rub it in with a bit of ground black pepper, and introduce it to the HOT pan for a couple of minutes ... all depending on how you like it cooked ... PLEASE don't ruin it by cooking it through ... needs be be a little bloody

also - let it rest on a wooden chopping board before putting it on your plate ... all the juices will seep out and it will taste YUMMY
    Edited by: "arcangel111" 23rd May 2011

Banned

With sirloin make sure you get some tongs and pick the meat up onto its side and push down the fatty side to sear it.

You shouldn't use olive oil, you should use something like groundnut oil which has a higher smoke point. Also I like putting pepper on near the end of cooking as it has a tendency to burn. Also I add a little bit of butter in the pan in the final seconds of cooking then pour all the juices on the steak whilst it rests for a couple of minutes on a plate.
    Edited by: "taz12345" 23rd May 2011

+1 on a little butter near the end
    keep basting it over the steak to give a nice nutty glaze

i cut a garlic clove in half and rub the steak a little when its resting
    gives a nice subtle garlic taste not too overpowering.

Banned

taz12345

You shouldn't use olive oil, you should use something like groundnut oil … You shouldn't use olive oil, you should use something like groundnut oil which has a higher smoke point. Also I like putting pepper on near the end of cooking as it has a tendency to burn. Also I add a little bit of butter in the pan in the final seconds of cooking then pour all the juices on the steak whilst it rests for a couple of minutes on a plate.

^^^^ best advice

Banned

csiman

^^^^ best advice

My searing the fatty side of the steak was the best advice!!!!

Banned

master_chief

My searing the fatty side of the steak was the best advice!!!!

I cut that off after cooking
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047154
      2. Fifa 18 web app Now active.44
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1930
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…3078

See more discussions