Sistema Twist 'N' Sip reusable drinks bottle - Kids have one? Might want to check it...

SuperEd 25
Found 16th Feb 2016
Sistema Twist 'N' Sip reusable drinks bottle - Know a few children have these, especially for school or even by the bed at night time.

Might help one person, so thought i;d let you know

Link in 1st post

Taken from page

The cap is not a user serviceable part. Although we have been absolutely meticulous cleaning the bottle and cap every day, including dispersible sterilising tablets, the cap has been making our 7 year old daughter poorly.
We haven't been able to work out why she has had an upset stomach, and occasional runs for what seems around four weeks, until I figured it might be the Sistema bottle. It's the only constant item she has had contact with the whole time.
Today, I took a sharp knife and broke the cap apart. It isn't designed to be taken apart and requires a bit of force to disassemble. The internal components have been hoarding bacteria. We were horrified and heartbroken that out little girl had been using this bottle in this state.
Anyone that knows me, will be fully aware how OCD I am about keeping things clean. This bottle and cap has been rinsed in boiling water and sterilised every day.
A friend of mine told me a story of a thermos flask with a pop-up lid he had that kept making him sick, which directed me to investigate the cap in this Sistema bottle.
It's probably wise that you inspect any of these type of bottles with a mechanised cap. Not just Sistema brands, but anything that pops-up or twists.

1. Misc
  2. Drinks
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Drinks
25 Comments

Original Poster SuperEd

FB page for full story

[img]scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph…jpg?oh=9b534c12efa407a3b17f9cc17ae4427f&oe=572350C9[/img]
[img]scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph…jpg?oh=c10e9a0daa2aef75b7323b3fed3f2b9d&oe=572A5712[/img]
[img]scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph…jpg?oh=57e2f5013871abde6994f3e7adf1903a&oe=57693EC6[/img]
[img]scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hph…jpg?oh=0cde5bc0b74996e5484a10b60e2540fe&oe=575BBBC2[/img]

EDIT - How to clean twist n sip
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 16th Feb 2016

Banned

Thats gross! Hope theyve complained! If water can get somewhere it should be able to be taken apart to clean!

I noticed this in my sons re-usable aluminium sports bottle, stopped using it straightaway but since then i now buy the plastic sports bottles of water. I use them a few times and then they go in the bin.
m.tesco.com/h5/…196

Not just these bottles any kind of drinking bottle ,I was amazed how the dirt collects inside they need to be properly cleaned after each use, how many people use water bottles in Gym leave them in their bags then just refill

Banned

Excellent post.

Aargh!
Any good recommendations for other drink bottles that won't harvest bacteria and mould like these types? (apart from a standard plastic bottle)

Banned

After this thread this looks like the way to go. How suitable it is for a youngster is another story

Very good post.. we've been through a nuby water bottle with layers of bacteria that I finally discovered was the reason my daughter was sick throughout her nursery year

That's horrible, really don't expect a child's water bottle to have bits that are impossible to clean without forcing them apart. Hope your daughter is feeling better now. I moved my children onto disposable water bottles many a year ago when they were in primary School. I refilled for a week and then threw out. I know it's not environmentally friendly but they don't leak and I always thought using them for longer was a bit of a health hazard.

just checked a random one before wash... was fine... well nothing visible anyway

i wash in top shelf dishwasher with the top twisted open, rinse both ends with hot water then shake the water out

tbh 'just' looks like mould... will get that anywhere with standing water really so flush and dry should be ok i think
(only ever have water in them as well which probably helps)

edit: and watch your fingers dismantling too!
Edited by: "brilly" 16th Feb 2016

Not a design fault though - just a lazy/can't be arsed to clean it properly fault!

I am a great believer of what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. The human body can build an immune system if you hide away from all germs.

Edited by: "StevenBrown" 16th Feb 2016

WalkerboyUK

Not a design fault though - just a lazy/can't be arsed to clean it … Not a design fault though - just a lazy/can't be arsed to clean it properly fault!

The top isn't designed to be opened up so the grot is in an inaccessible place... Or did you not read the post before commenting?

StevenBrown

I am a great believer of what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. … I am a great believer of what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. The human body can build an immune system if you hide away from all germs.

I know what you are trying to say but I can't imagine anyone wants their child exposed to e.coli.
It's also one of those daft sayings that doesn't necessarily ring true.

ceres

It appears that it is designed to be opened up. There's a link to a … It appears that it is designed to be opened up. There's a link to a video on how to clean at the bottom right of the manufacturer's product page. I imagine there are cleaning instructions on the packaging too.That said, it's a bit of a faff.

from their site
"Recently a number of our customers have advised us that they are having difficulty cleaning our Twist 'n' Sip drink bottle caps.
We take this feedback very seriously and have therefore posted on our website (www.sistemaplastics.com) videos and instructions that demonstrate how to take apart and clean each of the three tops we currently have on the market."

i think thats a new addition and am pretty sure they mention nothing about it opening on the packaging
and its fairly difficult to do it

ceres

Yes, but the point is that it is designed to be taken apart for cleaning. … Yes, but the point is that it is designed to be taken apart for cleaning. If it wasn't designed that way, they wouldn't have been able to demonstrate it. I'm quite surprised that people aren't aware of the potential for bacteria breeding in re-usable bottles. I was obsessive about taking apart and properly cleaning gym drinks bottles with pull-up tops for this very reason. And I've worked in places where there was an outright ban on re-filling water bottles from water dispensers. The knowledge has been around for a very long time.

not sure it was designed to be taken apart specifically - more that as a byproduct of a 2 part design it can be forced open
did you look at the videos? that is in no way a routine 'operation'

I pulled ours apart because of this and broke it. It looked nothing like that- it was perfectly clean!!

thanks, cleaned didn't think lid could be dismantled.

Opened up my daughters Sistema earlier - had to force it open with a knife!
Glad I checked due to bits of crust from possible food or whatever and water that is unable to dry out for days anyway.
Also opened up a smaller twist top of a different make, this was even harder to get into, and was greeted with the same food/crust residue and water not dried.
Both were cleaned in a dishwasher.

Have thrown both out now.

ceres

Yes, but the point is that it is designed to be taken apart for cleaning. … Yes, but the point is that it is designed to be taken apart for cleaning. If it wasn't designed that way, they wouldn't have been able to demonstrate it. I'm quite surprised that people aren't aware of the potential for bacteria breeding in re-usable bottles. I was obsessive about taking apart and properly cleaning gym drinks bottles with pull-up tops for this very reason. And I've worked in places where there was an outright ban on re-filling water bottles from water dispensers. The knowledge has been around for a very long time.

Oops
Don't know what happened there. My reply is below ¥¥

Edited by: "franspence" 16th Feb 2016

Same. I just opened mine up and none where mouldy. I wondered why they show it being put in boiling water for 30 seconds and then realised, after I'd opened all mine, it was to soften the plastic enabling it to be opened easier. Doh!

brilly

from their site"Recently a number of our customers have advised us that … from their site"Recently a number of our customers have advised us that they are having difficulty cleaning our Twist 'n' Sip drink bottle caps.We take this feedback very seriously and have therefore posted on our website (www.sistemaplastics.com) videos and instructions that demonstrate how to take apart and clean each of the three tops we currently have on the market."i think thats a new addition and am pretty sure they mention nothing about it opening on the packagingand its fairly difficult to do it

​it's not on the packaging I recently bought one after the cap broke on my son's bottle. I also didn't know the cap could be taken apart as it's almost impossible. I've had plenty of drinks bottles for my kids but these are not designed with ease of cleaning in mind.

StevenBrown

I am a great believer of what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. … I am a great believer of what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. The human body can build an immune system if you hide away from all germs.

Cutting a finger off wouldn't kill you if you hang on ill grab a knife.

I was shocked to see the photos above and you're right about immune system but surely only to a certain extent.

Graham1979

Cutting a finger off wouldn't kill you if you hang on ill grab a knife. I … Cutting a finger off wouldn't kill you if you hang on ill grab a knife. I was shocked to see the photos above and you're right about immune system but surely only to a certain extent.

unless there is a knife hiding in the bottle cap and it would help boost your immune system then I think your example is kinda OTT.

Obviously its only to an extent, I am by no means suggesting people go get infected with ebola

Thanks for posting. My daughter uses this bottle for school so will check when she gets home. Didn't realise the lid came apart.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants