Skateboarding advice (beginner) 25/yo

Found 15th Oct 2017
Okay so basically I would like to start skating, I used to do it in my teens, but never learned any tricks, I'd just ride around the parks. I used to have a tom penny flip board with red bearings etc.

So what I'd like is some advice on buying a board (nothing as expensive as my earlier board not sure I will fully commit to it)

So I just bought some Nike SB Lunar Stefan Janoski Hyperfeel, I'm size 9, what board size do you think would be good for me? I'm not too bordered about doing tricks just riding around town etc so I'm feeling I should be going more towards a cruiser board.

If anyone could help me pick a decent one (assuming you can do a few tricks on cruisers at skateparks?)
Like I said absolute novice

Thank you

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

Hey man, I would recommend searching on shpock, gumtree, ebay and maybe Facebook market place.

There are a lot of people who jump in the deep end and buy £140+ set ups from the shops. As the guys behind the till recommend only the best bits. (Don't listen to them, skate shops are a rip off at times. Don't listen to that support your local shop crap either).

Recently just seen an Element Nyjah Huston 8.25, venture highs, bones reds and ricta wheels all new (used once) go for £50 on shpock.

Shame it was high trucks and 57mm wheels or I would've taken it myself. Flogged the trucks and kept the rest.

If you want to buy from a shop as no good second hand options are about.
Enuff decks are cheap and have a real nice shape, great pop and do well. These can be had for around £17 on sale or £25 buy now off eBay. Ive used a few in the past couple of years and I've been skating for 15 years (few years out for injuries).

Enuff trucks are a bit poor, but can do for a low budget (brothers had a set and was around £25/30). Their wheels I couldn't say anything on them. Never used before.

But I'd recommend searching for a barely used pro set up first as the resell value could be close to what you paid.

You're looking around a budget of £60 I'd say for a mid range deck from enuff, fracture and shop blanks with low budget trucks (enuff, maybe iron etc).

But that £60 would go a long way with a private sale.
Edited by: "kos1c" 16th Oct 2017

Original Poster

kos1c34 m ago

Hey man, I would recommend searching on shpock, gumtree, ebay and maybe …Hey man, I would recommend searching on shpock, gumtree, ebay and maybe Facebook market place. There are a lot of people who jump in the deep end and buy £140+ set ups from the shops. As the guys behind the till recommend only the best bits. (Don't listen to them, skate shops are a rip off at times. Don't listen to that support your local shop crap either). Recently just seen an Element Nyjah Huston 8.25, venture highs, bones reds and ricta wheels all new (used once) go for £50 on shpock. Shame it was high trucks and 57mm wheels or I would've taken it myself. Flogged the trucks and kept the rest. If you want to buy from a shop as no good second hand options are about. Enuff decks are cheap and have a real nice shape, great pop and do well. These can be had for around £17 on sale or £25 buy now off eBay. Ive used a few in the past couple of years and I've been skating for 15 years (few years out for injuries). Enuff trucks are a bit poor, but can do for a low budget (brothers had a set and was around £25/30). Their wheels I couldn't say anything on them. Never used before. But I'd recommend searching for a barely used pro set up first as the resell value could be close to what you paid.You're looking around a budget of £60 I'd say for a mid range deck from enuff, fracture and shop blanks with low budget trucks (enuff, maybe iron etc). But that £60 would go a long way with a private sale.

Thanks for your advice, what are your views on cruisers?

Depends what sort of skating you're looking at doing.
Flip tricks etc
Riding about
Ramp/bowl skating etc.

Original Poster

kos1c4 h, 58 m ago

Depends what sort of skating you're looking at doing. Flip tricks …Depends what sort of skating you're looking at doing. Flip tricks etcRiding aboutRamp/bowl skating etc.

Probably mostly riding about, few bowls if possible

I'd say get a wider street deck.

A classic old skool deck isn't much further apart from a standard street deck.

Both have kick tails.
Both have wide platforms.
Classic decks the nose can be small&skinny

Shame, that £50 nyjah Huston deck i mentioned before sounds like it would've done you well.

High trucks and large wheels for cruising and hitting the bowls. Wide deck for a fitting ride and easily adaptable to skating it for street (change the wheels down to 50-52mm).

Original Poster

kos1c35 m ago

I'd say get a wider street deck. A classic old skool deck isn't much …I'd say get a wider street deck. A classic old skool deck isn't much further apart from a standard street deck. Both have kick tails. Both have wide platforms.Classic decks the nose can be small&skinnyShame, that £50 nyjah Huston deck i mentioned before sounds like it would've done you well. High trucks and large wheels for cruising and hitting the bowls. Wide deck for a fitting ride and easily adaptable to skating it for street (change the wheels down to 50-52mm).

Thankyou I shall have a look online what kind of size width do you think, might just buy a pre buikt

oliverkennedy102 h, 7 m ago

Thankyou I shall have a look online what kind of size width do you think, …Thankyou I shall have a look online what kind of size width do you think, might just buy a pre buikt

What's your height and shoe size. Can go of that as a guess for board size.

(I'm 5.8, UK 8, I ride an 8.0 currently, but usually ride 8.18 or 8.25 just for comfort).

This is really cheap considering the deck alone is around £20-25.

skatehut.co.uk/m/s…htm

It's an 8.0 enuff deck with some blank trucks. Wheels and bearings (can't comment on them as their gonna be low to mid quality).

To get something a bit more mid range is about £45-50 going from that site. A full enuff set up (deck, wheels, trucks etc). But wasn't fine many 8.0 options.

Original Poster

kos1c4 m ago

What's your height and shoe size. Can go of that as a guess for board …What's your height and shoe size. Can go of that as a guess for board size. (I'm 5.8, UK 8, I ride an 8.0 currently, but usually ride 8.18 or 8.25 just for comfort).This is really cheap considering the deck alone is around £20-25. https://www.skatehut.co.uk/m/skateboards/complete_skateboards/enuff_classic_logo_complete_skateboard_w_sticker_sheet_black.htmIt's an 8.0 enuff deck with some blank trucks. Wheels and bearings (can't comment on them as their gonna be low to mid quality). To get something a bit more mid range is about £45-50 going from that site. A full enuff set up (deck, wheels, trucks etc). But wasn't fine many 8.0 options.

I'm around same hight size 9 thanks for all the help

oliverkennedy1055 m ago

I'm around same hight size 9 thanks for all the help

If you find a set up and are unsure. Let me know and I'll give my input.

Just had another look at that £25 set up above. It reads as 9 ply which is really odd. Something you'd get on a cheap setup.

Hopefully you haven't rushed into purchasing it.

Enuff decks are a good choice. But I didn't know they did real cheap a** stuff as well. Which would explain why it's £25 for the lot.

What sort of budget you looking at I could help you find a deck more suited if ya like.

Original Poster

kos1c21 h, 25 m ago

I'd say get a wider street deck. A classic old skool deck isn't much …I'd say get a wider street deck. A classic old skool deck isn't much further apart from a standard street deck. Both have kick tails. Both have wide platforms.Classic decks the nose can be small&skinnyShame, that £50 nyjah Huston deck i mentioned before sounds like it would've done you well. High trucks and large wheels for cruising and hitting the bowls. Wide deck for a fitting ride and easily adaptable to skating it for street (change the wheels down to 50-52mm).

kos1c21 h, 25 m ago

Thankyou I shall have a look online what kind of size width do you think, might just buy a pre built

Probably max 60, spend 200 on my last deck but don't want to spend that much if I don't seriously enjoy it.

Think I would prefer a cruiser in terms of doing errands etc so I'm not sure either a penny or one you think would suit me thanks again

32266279-FfEsV.jpgI got one of these. It's a hybrid cruiser. Takes more from a standard deck with the kick tails. But high trucks , pointed nose and large wheels. Can do tricks on it but it's heavy but a great ride for A-B.

That's the Alien workshop pong pusher. Unsure if they still sell em anymore. But is an ideal shape for cruising.

Penny are great but just real small platforms, can get copies of those for mega cheap (had one for like £13 new off eBay years ago gave to a friend).

Vault do some short long boards (had a wooden style penny board which was nice to ride but took the wheels off it and threw on my deck above).

sportsdirect.com/ska…rds

Those penny 27s look decent. They are in fact priced at £100+ elsewhere as well so the sale is true and not a hiked up RRP.

The standard penny is about 22" while a 27" gives you a more relaxed standing position.

Me personally I'd take the 27".

Have a look if they have them in a local store. And test the size difference. Be your best bet.

Original Poster

kos1c17 h, 3 m ago

https://www.sportsdirect.com/skate/skateboardsThose penny 27s look decent. …https://www.sportsdirect.com/skate/skateboardsThose penny 27s look decent. They are in fact priced at £100+ elsewhere as well so the sale is true and not a hiked up RRP.The standard penny is about 22" while a 27" gives you a more relaxed standing position. Me personally I'd take the 27". Have a look if they have them in a local store. And test the size difference. Be your best bet.

Perfect going to look after work :))

Original Poster

kos1c23 h, 29 m ago

https://www.sportsdirect.com/skate/skateboardsThose penny 27s look decent. …https://www.sportsdirect.com/skate/skateboardsThose penny 27s look decent. They are in fact priced at £100+ elsewhere as well so the sale is true and not a hiked up RRP.The standard penny is about 22" while a 27" gives you a more relaxed standing position. Me personally I'd take the 27". Have a look if they have them in a local store. And test the size difference. Be your best bet.

Augh unfortunately no stock in stores had to pay 7 postage, comes tomorrow when I'm at work >< so hopefully it arrives just after I finish or dpd leave with a neighbor, will let you know how it rides.

Appreciate all the help, you've helped massively

oliverkennedy1010 m ago

Augh unfortunately no stock in stores had to pay 7 postage, comes tomorrow …Augh unfortunately no stock in stores had to pay 7 postage, comes tomorrow when I'm at work >< so hopefully it arrives just after I finish or dpd leave with a neighbor, will let you know how it rides.Appreciate all the help, you've helped massively

I was gonna say last night check if they have a stock checker like Argos does.

You end up with a 27" or 22"?

Hope you enjoy it

Original Poster

kos1c5 m ago

I was gonna say last night check if they have a stock checker like Argos …I was gonna say last night check if they have a stock checker like Argos does.You end up with a 27" or 22"? Hope you enjoy it

They didn't couldn't check other stores probably have the same stock cheap no fear boards.

Went for the 27" tropical

oliverkennedy1022 m ago

They didn't couldn't check other stores probably have the same stock cheap …They didn't couldn't check other stores probably have the same stock cheap no fear boards.Went for the 27" tropical

Ah. I don't really use sports direct much myself.

But at least ya got a new board coming.
Just a shame the weather's getting a bit poo for it. ><
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions