Skim these walls or sand them?

Found 25th May
I’ve removed the tiles from the kitchen worktop area and most of it has flakes of paint left underneath when the tiles came off. The tiles came off really easy. I’ve use a scraper to get some some of the paint flakes off too. Some parts by the kitchen still have the remains of adhesive from the tiles.

Should I get it skimmed over or just sand it myself? If I am to sand them should I just use any sand paper or use a coarse one then a fine one.

Thanks

2945037.jpg

2945037.jpg

2945037.jpg

2945037.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
The most important factor is what are you putting on there next?
If re tilling, you can get away sanding but beware of leaving dust that prevents a good bond. PVA it first. However, I prefer to skim any wall with damage
Sand them down and enjoy a year of white dust covering everything in the house.

If you are tiling again just chip the old adhesive off and make sure there are no loose flakes left over. Doesn't have to be perfectly smooth.
Edited by: "deeky" 25th May
njpugh9016 m ago

The most important factor is what are you putting on there next?

Upstands and a splashback. The rest is getting painted
If any of the area previously tiled is to be just painted then you may need to skim. Depends how easily the tile adhesive comes off and what damage is done to the walls.

Try wetting the adhesive first, allow time to soften and then scraping - as deeky says you want avoid generating dust!
Edited by: "Van1973" 25th May
A light sand will do after which you should seal the surface.
It looks in pretty good condition to me, I've tiled far worse!
Picture would help. Just a close up so we know what we are answering
wayners13 m ago

Picture would help. Just a close up so we know what we are answering

Pics are up
OK. If its standard adhesive then wet it or steam and it will come off easy. Just goes soft. Fill and sand smooth. Sometimes water proof adhesive is used and this is much harder to budge. Try applying water with hand garden spray pump thing or wet with paint brush and see if it goes soft after it has soaked in
Edited by: "wayners" 25th May
I sanded ours back and Used Pollycell Basecoat Paint that had to hand done the trick for us!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants