Skirting boards don’t look right?

Posted 20th Dec 2018
Hi

Came home last night and joiner had been to fit some skirts in the bedroom.

Looked ok to me on the naked but when I looked at the corners he has just butted them up together. Pics below - I’m questioning if this is the right way to do it? Or is it a pigs ear?

I do hate tradesmen at the moment!!
3145052-yhfXL.jpg
3145052-roc1C.jpg

Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Nothing wrong with how he has done it you never mitre internal skirting boards, it a square profile so butt joint is ideal too! Just needs caulking up .
You even scribe and butt fancy skirts like ogee or torus . Don't listen to inexperienced people.
I'd get it redone pal as that isnt how its done, In order to get a tight joint you have to scribe skirting board at internal corners instead of mitering it.
36596730-nxFVF.jpgThis means fitting one board tight into the corner, then cutting the next one to match the exact profile so it fits perfectly up against the first.
36596730-CxBWD.jpg
It should fit like this!
36596730-GPSEN.jpg

34 Comments
Oh dear, that's annoying, I know what it can be like when you're putting your trust in someone you're paying to do a professional job. They should have angled them together I believe with a scribe or mitre joint. Quite a few videos on YouTube and guides online you could send them if needed.

36594834-ecFQ8.jpg

One example video...

Edited by: "morgie" 20th Dec 2018
That's pathetic, you could have done it like that yourself, taking the pith
Yes it's crap.

With the amount of problems you have with trades you might want to consider how you are choosing them.

If it's solely on price, or you attempt to haggle, you're not going to get good workmanship.
He might have left them like that just for the night till he comes back and finishes the job.
Don't pay either, until your satisfied
themorgatron20/12/2018 07:08

Yes it's crap.With the amount of problems you have with trades you might …Yes it's crap.With the amount of problems you have with trades you might want to consider how you are choosing them.If it's solely on price, or you attempt to haggle, you're not going to get good workmanship.

Hi

Not gone with price at all. I tend to look at a lot of reviews and also feedback from other people in local area. It’s just that I have no idea on DIY jobs and I work 7-7 so I can’t even stay around to challenge the trades men....I’m really hating them!!
AdamWalkerGX720/12/2018 07:14

HiNot gone with price at all. I tend to look at a lot of reviews and also …HiNot gone with price at all. I tend to look at a lot of reviews and also feedback from other people in local area. It’s just that I have no idea on DIY jobs and I work 7-7 so I can’t even stay around to challenge the trades men....I’m really hating them!!

Are you using quoting sites, or checkatrade type things? Good trades are not on these sites, because they know you don't pay someone else to work.

I wouldn't let him touch anymore, if he's not already mitred them, every skirting length will be too short to rectify now. Filled and painted you'd probably never know the difference, but he's got zero pride in his workmanship.
themorgatron10 m ago

Are you using quoting sites, or checkatrade type things? Good trades are …Are you using quoting sites, or checkatrade type things? Good trades are not on these sites, because they know you don't pay someone else to work.I wouldn't let him touch anymore, if he's not already mitred them, every skirting length will be too short to rectify now. Filled and painted you'd probably never know the difference, but he's got zero pride in his workmanship.

I’m using yell and Facebook for recommendations. And also word of mouth. But as always you never how true they are.
Nothing wrong with how he has done it you never mitre internal skirting boards, it a square profile so butt joint is ideal too! Just needs caulking up .
You even scribe and butt fancy skirts like ogee or torus . Don't listen to inexperienced people.
I mean internal angle skirtings
That’s burford contemporary? I used the same and did the corners the same way. After caulking and painting it looks fine. Obviously the external corners need mitring.
marshy515 m ago

That’s burford contemporary? I used the same and did the corners the same w …That’s burford contemporary? I used the same and did the corners the same way. After caulking and painting it looks fine. Obviously the external corners need mitring.

Yes we used it from Howdens, perfectly normal to butt join internal angles, you do have to leave a very tiny nib on the top as it's slightly rounded
deleted1080215
The two photos for comparison are 'chalk and cheese ', one needs mitreing the other doesn't. After your are caulked and painted (you're not leaving them like that are you?) it will look fine.
marshy5123 m ago

That’s burford contemporary? I used the same and did the corners the same w …That’s burford contemporary? I used the same and did the corners the same way. After caulking and painting it looks fine. Obviously the external corners need mitring.

Can you send me a pic of what it looks like?
At work mate. End of the day you’re paying for it so you have it how you want it
I'd get it redone pal as that isnt how its done, In order to get a tight joint you have to scribe skirting board at internal corners instead of mitering it.
36596730-nxFVF.jpgThis means fitting one board tight into the corner, then cutting the next one to match the exact profile so it fits perfectly up against the first.
36596730-CxBWD.jpg
It should fit like this!
36596730-GPSEN.jpg

Snakeyes64620/12/2018 11:04

I'd get it redone pal as that isnt how its done, In order to get a tight …I'd get it redone pal as that isnt how its done, In order to get a tight joint you have to scribe skirting board at internal corners instead of mitering it. [Image] This means fitting one board tight into the corner, then cutting the next one to match the exact profile so it fits perfectly up against the first. [Image] It should fit like this![Image]

totally unnecessary in the ops instance as theirs is a rectangular profile. Once caulked and painted it will look fine. Airfix has it right.
chocci9 h, 7 m ago

totally unnecessary in the ops instance as theirs is a rectangular …totally unnecessary in the ops instance as theirs is a rectangular profile. Once caulked and painted it will look fine. Airfix has it right.

Yeah I didnt read it properly and airfix is spot on my apologies OP.
Edited by: "Snakeyes646" 20th Dec 2018
As the skirting is a rectangular, a butt joint is fine. Scribing is the correct way to do an internal corner, not a mitre.

One reason for a scribed joint is that when the central heating shrinks the wood each winter, with both boards shrinking, the gap in a mitre will open up twice as much as the gaps in a scribed/butt joint, so the mitre will look worse. Also walls are typically not perfect right angles so achieving an acceptable looking mitre is more difficult than a good scribed joint.

Not a fan of rectangular profile skirting, it is an absolutely terrible dust trap.
Edited by: "melted" 20th Dec 2018
Here's one of ours in a new build

Notice the joiner left a tiny nib on top part

36597089-fbfyD.jpg

airfix20/12/2018 11:48

Here's one of ours in a new buildNotice the joiner left a tiny nib on top …Here's one of ours in a new buildNotice the joiner left a tiny nib on top part[Image]

When is it getting finished!
airfix5 h, 35 m ago

Nothing wrong with how he has done it you never mitre internal skirting …Nothing wrong with how he has done it you never mitre internal skirting boards, it a square profile so butt joint is ideal too! Just needs caulking up . You even scribe and butt fancy skirts like ogee or torus . Don't listen to inexperienced people.

Are you a joiner mate?
airfix20/12/2018 12:26

Just finishing it now, it's in a fireplace [Image]

Is that a butt joint or mitred? Also is that LVT on the floor?
airfix1 h, 50 m ago

Here's one of ours in a new buildNotice the joiner left a tiny nib on top …Here's one of ours in a new buildNotice the joiner left a tiny nib on top part[Image]

I’m assuming that’s not finished as it has not been painted?
AdamWalkerGX759 m ago

Is that a butt joint or mitred? Also is that LVT on the floor?

Yes, amtico click flooring throughout downstairs, nice stuff and easy to lay
deleted1447778
Snakeyes64620/12/2018 11:04

I'd get it redone pal as that isnt how its done, In order to get a tight …I'd get it redone pal as that isnt how its done, In order to get a tight joint you have to scribe skirting board at internal corners instead of mitering it. [Image] This means fitting one board tight into the corner, then cutting the next one to match the exact profile so it fits perfectly up against the first. [Image] It should fit like this![Image]

Did you not notice his skirting is almost a perfect rectangle, so has an almost flat profile, the only part you could scribe is the small roll at the top which really wouldn't look any different than what he has now.

Which is exactly what was done in the image "airfix" posted below.

airfix20/12/2018 11:48

I'm afraid if you don't like that finish then your only alternative would be a miter.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 20th Dec 2018
deleted144777820/12/2018 15:37

Did you not notice his skirting is almost a perfect rectangle, so has an …Did you not notice his skirting is almost a perfect rectangle, so has an almost flat profile, the only part you could scribe is the small roll at the top which really wouldn't look any different than what he has now.Which is exactly what was done in the image "airfix" posted below.I'm afraid if you don't like that finish then your only alternative would be a miter.

Read better... I said I didn't read it properly
Corners should be mitred, even together when joining straight lengths. Never let tradesmen on their own they need checking on the job regularly.
ssc120/12/2018 18:14

Corners should be mitred, even together when joining straight lengths. …Corners should be mitred, even together when joining straight lengths. Never let tradesmen on their own they need checking on the job regularly.

Wow didn’t know some skirtings would have so much debate - it’s more complex than the Irish backstop!!
AdamWalkerGX76 m ago

Wow didn’t know some skirtings would have so much debate - it’s more com …Wow didn’t know some skirtings would have so much debate - it’s more complex than the Irish backstop!!

Not really, you did ask. Just a simple job should be done right.
Snakeyes64620/12/2018 17:48

Read better... I said I didn't read it properly

You said 'Yeah I read it properly'
chocci14 m ago

You said 'Yeah I read it properly'

Edited
Painted and looks pretty good I think
36613513-WW3od.jpg

36613513-ywzIA.jpg

Post a comment
@
    Text