Skoda Fabia 1.6 2010 DPF Light on Dash

Found 23rd Mar 2016
I own a 2010 Diesel Skoda Fabia...Not done many miles recently..and in the last week had a coil light flashing and now
the DPF and engine management lights are on .. I plugged in a bluetooth OBD and it showed two alarms so took it round local garage who said need to take it on run with revs at 2.5 to complete regen of dpf...took it on a 20 minute room , but lights still on and started losing power...Any advise...Thanks in advance
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Skoda
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Skoda
27 Comments
Stick it in 3rd gear and do 70/80mph for a couple of miles.
And specifically what are the error codes the OBD2 tool is giving?
^^^ this. The DPF is most probably blocked with soot. A good blast at high revs should clear it up.
Original Poster
adam_holcombe

And specifically what are the error codes the OBD2 tool is giving?

sorry for delay codes on torque p242a and p2458
Original Poster
momartin

^^^ this. The DPF is most probably blocked with soot. A good blast at … ^^^ this. The DPF is most probably blocked with soot. A good blast at high revs should clear it up.

Thanks Ive give it a blast down motorway at 2.5 for approx 20 miles ,, but fault lights all lit...Any Tips to Regen
I've had exactly this problem with a diesel Golf - it took 3 runs out, motorway driving at 2.5 revs for 15/20 mins each time before it was fixed.
Needs to be higher revs. 3-4k for 20 mins should clear it
You need to be doing higher revs, in my last Fabia I used to knock it out of gear whilst doing 70ish mph and rev it up to 5-6000 a few times which seemed to sort it. I don't know anything about error lights sorry mate.
Do you do mainly short journeys ?

A modern diesel may be the wrong car for you if you do..
As everyone else has stated, you need an Italian tune up. A decent continuous blast at 3k rpm will help no end. It's all about exhaust gas temperatures than actual engine speed.
Get that soot burning.

Also what is the mileage? Some diesels have a combustion boosting agent and if you've run it dry you're in for an expensive refill.
mrwhitelabel

Do you do mainly short journeys ?A modern diesel may be the wrong car for … Do you do mainly short journeys ?A modern diesel may be the wrong car for you if you do..

It's not if you can thrash it now & then. I only do around 5k a year & my last 3 cars have all been diesels with dpf's, none of which have ever thrown a light on the dash.
Get the DPF hollowed out and have it remapped out, It'll then be a beast of a machine with no stupid restriction, Have the EGR written out on the remap too.
ziggy64

sorry for delay codes on torque p242a and p2458

​p242a indicates a sensor is faulty, and it may stop the dpf regen cycle from completing properly.

vwaudiforum.co.uk/for…42A

Original Poster
mrwhitelabel

Do you do mainly short journeys ?A modern diesel may be the wrong car for … Do you do mainly short journeys ?A modern diesel may be the wrong car for you if you do..

Thanks,, I did 80 miles a day but they sent my bloody job to india ..I now do very little mileage so need to change but need to get regen so can trade in for a petrol..
Original Poster
momartin

You need to be doing higher revs, in my last Fabia I used to knock it out … You need to be doing higher revs, in my last Fabia I used to knock it out of gear whilst doing 70ish mph and rev it up to 5-6000 a few times which seemed to sort it. I don't know anything about error lights sorry mate.

Thanks for tip and help...
Original Poster
Oneday77

As everyone else has stated, you need an Italian tune up. A decent … As everyone else has stated, you need an Italian tune up. A decent continuous blast at 3k rpm will help no end. It's all about exhaust gas temperatures than actual engine speed. Get that soot burning. 50kAlso what is the mileage? Some diesels have a combustion boosting agent and if you've run it dry you're in for an expensive refill.

momartin

You need to be doing higher revs, in my last Fabia I used to knock it out … You need to be doing higher revs, in my last Fabia I used to knock it out of gear whilst doing 70ish mph and rev it up to 5-6000 a few times which seemed to sort it. I don't know anything about error lights sorry mate.

Bloody hell M, bit risky no? Which reminds me, need to take mine for a thrash tomorrow. So its low gear, high revs? For how long would you guys say? I normally go on a DCW and take the speed up to 70/80.
EN1GMA

Bloody hell M, bit risky no? Which reminds me, need to take mine for a … Bloody hell M, bit risky no? Which reminds me, need to take mine for a thrash tomorrow. So its low gear, high revs? For how long would you guys say? I normally go on a DCW and take the speed up to 70/80.

Lol probably but, women drivers ey! I only did it on a clear motorway etc. It was a method recommended to me by the Fire Brigade workshops fella a few years back. Only revved it a couple of times then carried on my merry way!
momartin

Lol probably but, women drivers ey! I only did it on a clear motorway … Lol probably but, women drivers ey! I only did it on a clear motorway etc. It was a method recommended to me by the Fire Brigade workshops fella a few years back. Only revved it a couple of times then carried on my merry way!

I'll have to try it X)
EN1GMA

I'll have to try it X)

Think you have to be in a champagne super Skoda for it to work E-Man!
WYNNS DPF CLEANER is excellent. Reduces temp from 650 degrees to 450 degrees required for regen. This stuff actually works, couple of mates had Audi/Golf/Ford with warning DPF and a bottle of this in the tank and the light went off. EBay is cheapest place less than 7 quid a bottle and use it every 4/5 fill ups. This isn't like Redex/snake oil.
They should implement a regen button so you can do a regen whenever you feel you need too, This would solve 90% of the regen issues.

The car computer decides when to do a regen but the problem is the journey often ends before the cycle is complete so it has to wait until next time.

Simply thrashing the car doesn't always start the regen process either, Although will still help clear some soot.

by the way OP, shauneco knows what he's talking about. he, along with others helped me out on the same issue on my galaxy. kept on getting the engine malfunction light. I think it was because it had been some time and I had not taken it for a good run on the motorway. plus winter had set in so soot becomes more problematic. nice to know its a common problems with diesels and there is a 'fix'.
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 24th Mar 2016
shauneco

They should implement a regen button so you can do a regen whenever you … They should implement a regen button so you can do a regen whenever you feel you need too, This would solve 90% of the regen issues.The car computer decides when to do a regen but the problem is the journey often ends before the cycle is complete so it has to wait until next time. Simply thrashing the car doesn't always start the regen process either, Although will still help clear some soot.

what is regen? is it a electronic thing that the on board computer does or more mechanical to do with the engine/exhaust etc?
replace oil and filter after regen too. p242f is common dpf blockage code.

sometimes driving higher revs doesn't clear the code you need a static regen.
Edited by: "ssc1" 24th Mar 2016
EN1GMA

what is regen? is it a electronic thing that the on board computer does … what is regen? is it a electronic thing that the on board computer does or more mechanical to do with the engine/exhaust etc?

Yes that is it, Every so often at different intervals the car decides to do a regen, Usually it is triggered after doing a certain speed for a period of time but their are different methods, Some cars also use additives which tend to help with the regen process but can be a pain to top up in the future.

Basically the dpf collects harmful emissions and simply burns them off at an high temperature, That's if it gets the chance, Often the journey has ended before the cycle is completed etc, So it then continues to build up.

If a car had a regen button you could tell it to do it when convenient, When you're going on a motorway run for example.

You can trigger the regen with dealer level diagnostic software and some people do this and it does help but it can be complicated for the normal user.

Luckily the regen programs are getting better and becoming less problematic but it is a flawed system if doing lots of short journeys etc...

shauneco

Yes that is it, Every so often at different intervals the car decides to … Yes that is it, Every so often at different intervals the car decides to do a regen, Usually it is triggered after doing a certain speed for a period of time but their are different methods, Some cars also use additives which tend to help with the regen process but can be a pain to top up in the future.Basically the dpf collects harmful emissions and simply burns them off at an high temperature, That's if it gets the chance, Often the journey has ended before the cycle is completed etc, So it then continues to build up.If a car had a regen button you could tell it to do it when convenient, When you're going on a motorway run for example.You can trigger the regen with dealer level diagnostic software and some people do this and it does help but it can be complicated for the normal user.Luckily the regen programs are getting better and becoming less problematic but it is a flawed system if doing lots of short journeys etc...

Thanks for the response mate.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants