Groups
    EXPIRED

Sky+ Advice please

Hi

I seem to have a fault with Sky+. Are there any experts out there or Sky employees who can help me please?

After doing nothing, My Sky+ Planner is suddenly empty when before it had around 40% of the hard drive full of saved programmes and now if I try to record anything I get an error message as follows:

"SYSTEM FAULT - Sky+ playback and recording are unavailble. Please call 08705 800800 for assistance"

Nobody has used Sky in my household for around 18 hours then as soon as the TV was turned on, this happened.

Is the box broken? Have all recorded programmes been lost? Is it anything to do with the weather? Can I do something like turn it off for 90 seconds to reset, taking the plug out and putting the card upside down for a while or something similar or is it a case of having to phone in?

Any advice gratefully received thanks.

12 Comments

try going through the services menu and do "housekeeping" (might take a while to restart this is normal)

shouldn`t delete any programs and may recover them.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice dredlox. Where do I locate 'housekeeping' within the Services Menu please? I've just looked and can't find it.

sorry mate it`s in a hidden menu

press services, 4 system setup, then type 01 select (not 1), then 7 sky+ planner rebuild

Please let me know if it works

u seem to know what u on about so can u help me please? we had sky installed with a box that wasnt really working correctly (we got new box so thought we;d utilise the spare one. we use viewing card from other box and tend to swap it round as we only have the 1. it constantly says no satellite signal then goes off comes on etc...... it is defnitly the box cos the other one is fine.

so we think we need a new box?? any suggestions? without having to go thru sky cos they give me a headache.
    thanks

Original Poster

Oops.

Tried it bud and now my Sky+ box has gone on to standby (red light rather than green on box) and it won't turn back on. What next?

Original Poster

diggergraves;2484459

Oops.Tried it bud and now my Sky+ box has gone on to standby (red light … Oops.Tried it bud and now my Sky+ box has gone on to standby (red light rather than green on box) and it won't turn back on. What next?

Rewind that.

It's worked!! I tried to turn the machine on after a couple of minutes and hey presto. All saved programmes have returned and I can record again.

Top bloke. Serious rep added. Let me by you a virtual pint. Cheers dredlox!!

moneytree;2484453

u seem to know what u on about so can u help me please? we had sky … u seem to know what u on about so can u help me please? we had sky installed with a box that wasnt really working correctly (we got new box so thought we;d utilise the spare one. we use viewing card from other box and tend to swap it round as we only have the 1. it constantly says no satellite signal then goes off comes on etc...... it is defnitly the box cos the other one is fine.so we think we need a new box?? any suggestions? without having to go thru sky cos they give me a headache.thanks

only thing i can think of on this one is try to do a forced software update...

check the software and epg versions... services button. 4 system setup, 5 system details and write it down

unplug your faulty sky box. leave for a minute.

plug your sky box in while holding the "backup" button on the box (not remote), keep it held in until the 3 led lights light up then let go of backup

you should get a message on screen to the effect of "software update do not unplug reciever this may take 10 minutes"

leave for the duration (could take more than 10 minutes possibly 20)

when it restarts check again check the software and epg versions... services button. 4 system setup, 5 system details

if the s/w epg version has changed this may work.

Problem is sometimes if it`s an older sky box, certain software updates require more processing power and can overheat older machines which weren`t designed for it causing them to malfunction, Worth a try tho

diggergraves;2484498

Rewind that. It's worked!! I tried to turn the machine on after a … Rewind that. It's worked!! I tried to turn the machine on after a couple of minutes and hey presto. All saved programmes have returned and I can record again.Top bloke. Serious rep added. Let me by you a virtual pint. Cheers dredlox!!

Happy to help, self satisfaction when i`ve had a bad day :thumbsup:

dredlox;2484927

only thing i can think of on this one is try to do a forced software … only thing i can think of on this one is try to do a forced software update...check the software and epg versions... services button. 4 system setup, 5 system details and write it downunplug your faulty sky box. leave for a minute.plug your sky box in while holding the "backup" button on the box (not remote), keep it held in until the 3 led lights light up then let go of backupyou should get a message on screen to the effect of "software update do not unplug reciever this may take 10 minutes" leave for the duration (could take more than 10 minutes possibly 20)when it restarts check again check the software and epg versions... services button. 4 system setup, 5 system detailsif the s/w epg version has changed this may work.Problem is sometimes if it`s an older sky box, certain software updates require more processing power and can overheat older machines which weren`t designed for it causing them to malfunction, Worth a try tho

ok thanku i am trying it now. if it works then i wil be happy. u dont know how close come to chucking the thing thru the window :thinking: watch this space

moneytree;2485590

ok thanku i am trying it now. if it works then i wil be happy. u dont … ok thanku i am trying it now. if it works then i wil be happy. u dont know how close come to chucking the thing thru the window :thinking: watch this space

ok so that didnt work. now what shud i do? duz the box need to be connected to fone point??;-)

moneytree;2487418

ok so that didnt work. now what shud i do? duz the box need to be … ok so that didnt work. now what shud i do? duz the box need to be connected to fone point??;-)

No, phone is just used for sending info, as the dish can only recieve so the phone line is used to TX info to sky

this has happened to me i cant get my box to work its just stuck on standby
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944490
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423
      3. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1929
      4. love affairs1547

See more discussions