Sky alternatives

Found 1st Jul 2017
I am fed up with sky as we are paying nearly £80 per month for sky TV alone. We can't get Virgin as their cable does not run in our road.

Any suggestion for alternatives? I have seen Now TV, which is some sort of sky PAYG flagged up a few times on HUKD but as far as I understand, you buy a Now TV box and buy a 6 months pass?

My husband wants Sky sports channel, Sky Atlantic and movies. Is Now TV the best option?

He also wants to be able to download movies to the ipad and laptop to watch remotely.
Community Updates
AskSky
28 Comments
Now tv is great option there are also 50% vouchers for sky sports available too
Original Poster
justanothercid8 m ago

Now tv is great option there are also 50% vouchers for sky sports …Now tv is great option there are also 50% vouchers for sky sports available too

have you used Now TV yourself? we have magic eye to upstairs bedroom. will i be able to continue to use magic eye with Now TV?
mutley1

have you used Now TV yourself? we have magic eye to upstairs bedroom. … have you used Now TV yourself? we have magic eye to upstairs bedroom. will i be able to continue to use magic eye with Now TV?

No. But that is no bad thing as Magic Eye is only SD and only replicates the content on the Sky box i.e. two TVs both displaying the same content. Solution: you can use your NowTV account on up to 4 devices; you can watch on up to 2 at the same time, so just obtain additional NowTV device(s) and connect to additional TV(s). NowTV boxes are comparable cost to Magic Eyes but HD and each NowTV account can present 2 different content items simultaneously.
mutley1

...Is Now TV the best option?He also wants to be able to download movies … ...Is Now TV the best option?He also wants to be able to download movies to the ipad and laptop to watch remotely.

NowTV is a streaming service with no option to download. Amazon Prime Video permits download to watch later.
Original Poster
AndyRoyd58 s ago

NowTV is a streaming service with no option to download. Amazon Prime …NowTV is a streaming service with no option to download. Amazon Prime Video permits download to watch later.

thanks for the info.
Ring up to ask for a retention deal, ask for 60% off minimum + ask for £50-£100 credit, if they don't give you that then cancel your subscription. Then ring back in a few days and they will give you a better deal. Again ask for 60-75% off your package + £50-100 credit to stay, DO NOT take 50% (they catch a lot of people out with this first offer).
Say you're a loyal customer blah blah blah, you've been with them for blah blah years. I got my retention deal off the back of this deal.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 1st Jul 2017
RiverDragon8

Ring up to ask for a retention deal, ask for 60% minimum + ask for … Ring up to ask for a retention deal, ask for 60% minimum + ask for £50-£100 credit, if they don't give you that then cancel your subscription. Then ring back in a few days and they will give you a better deal. Again ask for 60-75% off your package + £50-100 credit to stay, DO NOT take 50% (they catch a lot of people out with this first offer). Say you're a loyal customer blah blah blah, you've been with them for blah blah years.

Rang them yesterday - 60% off on rolling contract. No credit - they aren't doing that now apparently. (Could be a lie from the operator though)
iamRYANNN

Being nice rather than demanding can also go a long way.

Ermmm, this is a joke comment right?
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 1st Jul 2017
iamRYANNN

No.

If you're nice to them they will take that as a weakness and low ball you.
Original Poster
RiverDragon82 m ago

interesting comment. i was nice and got no where.
mutley19 m ago

interesting comment. i was nice and got no where.

Just put in your cancellation notice. I wouldn't even bother trying to negotiate with the person you talk to first, because they are not from the right 'retentions' department. The deal will come in a week or two, not now. You can reverse your cancellation at any time up until the day - but they will call you back, or you will get an offer in your Sky account or app that you can use to negotiate with. If you are paying the full 'rack rate', you are paying far more than you should, so I'm not surprised you don't think it's good value.
Every year I ring up Sky to cancel and give them my 30 days notice then ring them back a few days later to get my retention deal to stay with them.
Iptv is a good way
every thought of trying the dark arts, KODI i heard is particularly good, free of charge cheaper than that BBC rubbish
mutley1

have you used Now TV yourself? we have magic eye to upstairs bedroom. … have you used Now TV yourself? we have magic eye to upstairs bedroom. will i be able to continue to use magic eye with Now TV?

Just get a few boxes as you can run 4 boxes from 1 account
Original Poster
justanothercid2 h, 33 m ago

wow. that is really good. how much does a box cost?
Original Poster
Iffyk1873 h, 20 m ago

every thought of trying the dark arts, KODI i heard is particularly good, …every thought of trying the dark arts, KODI i heard is particularly good, free of charge cheaper than that BBC rubbish

i did think about it but then i thought best not as i am not supposed to be using it.
Iffyk187

every thought of trying the dark arts, KODI i heard is particularly good, … every thought of trying the dark arts, KODI i heard is particularly good, free of charge cheaper than that BBC rubbish

Just FYI, Kodi doesn't provide any content, you must have misheard.
Edited by: "ibblackberry1" 1st Jul 2017
Go for a retentions deal, loads of info in here hotukdeals.com/mis…671

I got 60% off and credit on my last retention deal, I also live in a non virgin area so sky are my only real option
RiverDragon8

No they won't, I work in a retention team, any **** get very little from me, the nice people get as much as i have to offer.
We get enough crap through the day, someone pleasant is a nice change, so myself and others go the extra mile for them.
Anyone want to do shares on Nowtv? I currently do a share on netflix with 4 people so hoping to get something similar set up with now TV.
PKRichie

No they won't, I work in a retention team, any **** get very little from … No they won't, I work in a retention team, any **** get very little from me, the nice people get as much as i have to offer.We get enough crap through the day, someone pleasant is a nice change, so myself and others go the extra mile for them.

Never understood why talking to retention like a idiot would get you a better service. I always speak in a friendly and polite way and surprisingly the retention person reciprocates.
justanothercid

I that 4 boxes simultaneously? In different locations?
EN1GMA

I that 4 boxes simultaneously? In different locations?

Think so I've def has 3 on the go for sure
Original Poster
RiverDragon81 m ago

Who said anything about being rude or talking s-h-i-t to anybody?? How did …Who said anything about being rude or talking s-h-i-t to anybody?? How did you interrupted that?? I'm saying you have to be firm and negotiate the best deal. I am the customer who paying for this service, it's Sky job to offer me a good deal or i'm off to another provider (which is common sense).

i agree. there is a difference to being assertive and rude.
RiverDragon8

If you're nice to them they will take that as a weakness and low ball … If you're nice to them they will take that as a weakness and low ball you.

Being nice rather than demanding can also go a long way.

Fair do's.
All I'm saying is be firm and stick to your guns when asking for a retention deal, who the duck said anything about being rude??
RiverDragon8

who the duck said anything about being rude??

Not me, my reply was a general example giving both ends of the spectrum, saying nice folk get nicer treatment.
Nothing wrong with having examples of other offers and sticking with your budget.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants